Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stepping stone heli - What would you do?

I'd like to build a quality 350+mm 450 kit (Stretched Mini Protos, Warp 360, Gaui X3 or 450L etc...),

I figure I'll need to buy an FBL anyway, and the AR7200BX is very highly respected, so why not buy it in the form of a 300X or 450X. The 300x can be had for $224 + tax/shipping, which includes a AR7200BX that retails for $239 anyway. That makes a lot of sense, but then the 450x can be had for another $100 on top of the 300x price. Clearly, it's regarded as a superior heli, but the question is, if you were going to use it as a stepping stone/backup heli to a quality, top shelf 450 kit, would you bother with the 450x and spend the extra $100 on it, or just get the 300x, with the pre-thought of not sinking much $ into and making it last as long as can be with out going down the rabbit hole.

My considerations are that the 300x is essentially a freebie heli, and would add another size to the fleet when compared to where I'm starting (micro's), and the 360mm 450 size heli. It also is mellower than the 450x and therefore inciting as the next gradual step from the micros. The overall quality and potential cost associated in keeping it in the air is my main concern.

Then the argument for the 450x would be that it's a more proven model with with a great track record and more potential and doesn't require that much additional flight space when compared to the 300x. It's worth the $100 more in that sense for sure, but my concerns are that it makes for a bigger, more intimidating jump from the micro's and will be more costly as a stepping stone heli.

Hook a brother up and let me know what would sway you one way or another. I need so me help on this dilemma.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went from micros (brushless mcpx) to a 500, and now back to a stretched 450 (6S mini P). I like the high quality 450 for performance, cost, size, and convenience. I can fly it nearby without concerns like I had with my big, noisy, intimidating 500.

I had an AR7200BX on my 500 and it was easy to use and flew well. Now I have an iKON and prefer it (more tuning, and more features (gov)).

I'd say get the 450x. The 450 size is very mature and the 450x has been out a while. It isn't the stable monster that a 6S stretch 450 can be, but from what I've seen, they are very good. Don't spend too much time upgrading it and learn to fly with it. The 450s, like I said, are a mature part of the market and the helis are very reliable. You will need to do very little, if any, wrenching, maintenance, or upgrading to 450s. The 300x is more of a unique machine and has some recurrent issues, from what I've read.

The 450x should hold its value better, and once you're ready to spec, buy, and build your dream machine, you can decide if you want to stay with the FBL unit or try something new.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The mini P is the heli I'm leaning towards, but I'm not 100% convinced yet, as it's going to cost extra for the stretch conversion kit. Ideally, if they made a boxed 6s stretch kit that I could buy without having to re-buy anything, I'd most likely be all over it.

You say you like the ikon better, which makes me think that maybe I save the $400 and just apply it to the mini P and not bother with a "stepping stone" heli. I ultimately want a stable 450 size, which is most likely where I'll settle out at too.

The only reason to get the 300x or 450x is because of the FBL, but hearing you say you prefer the ikon makes me realize I'm undecided on that path too. If the FBL was a no brainer and the AR7200BX was the ultimate choice, the 300x or 450x is arguably the wisest way to acquire it at the prices I mentioned. But if the dream machine is better served with a different FBL, there's hardly a point in buying something in the interim, is there? Hmmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
I went from micros (brushless mcpx) to a 500, and now back to a stretched 450 (6S mini P). I like the high quality 450 for performance, cost, size, and convenience. I can fly it nearby without concerns like I had with my big, noisy, intimidating 500.

I had an AR7200BX on my 500 and it was easy to use and flew well. Now I have an iKON and prefer it (more tuning, and more features (gov)).

I'd say get the 450x. The 450 size is very mature and the 450x has been out a while. It isn't the stable monster that a 6S stretch 450 can be, but from what I've seen, they are very good. Don't spend too much time upgrading it and learn to fly with it. The 450s, like I said, are a mature part of the market and the helis are very reliable. You will need to do very little, if any, wrenching, maintenance, or upgrading to 450s. The 300x is more of a unique machine and has some recurrent issues, from what I've read.

The 450x should hold its value better, and once you're ready to spec, buy, and build your dream machine, you can decide if you want to stay with the FBL unit or try something new.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the 450X, fly the crap out of it. Then step to a 500 It's a great heli, when u toast the stck motor get the eflite450 motor (same price 50.00) and your done. you can also upgrade cyclic servos to spectrum 3020
MS60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not many votes for the AR7200BX here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=575982
Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found the 300X a good stepping stone heli between the micro's and bigger birds. Much less pucker factor than the "450" size, & easy to find flying locations.

I had a soft crash in the summer, & my AR7200 has to be sent to HH, cause it won't go into setup program now.
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure i read somewhere the 3s 300x packs work in well in parallel on a 6s mini-p. Double check that tho, I could be mistaken.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, 300x in parallel for 3S, or series for 6S.

Pairing batteries is a pain for charging and logistics. They also weigh a touch more, but it will get you started, potentially.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I say skip the 300X. You'll end up throwing another $100 at it to get it to fly like the 450X will right out of he box.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
I say skip the 300X. You'll end up throwing another $100 at it to get it to fly like the 450X will right out of he box.
Good to see, although a week too late... I did however go for the 450x for the reason you mentioned.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear it. Anything smaller than a 450 is too fiddly, in my opinion. Given the chance, I will always choose to fly my 450 over my MCPX BL.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Talking

skip all of them get the mini. I wish I had done this from the start, by time you spend the money on the 450x replacing servos , motor , esc get the mini you can pick up a beast cheap or the ikon, your done and you have a heli that needs nothing, but lots of batteries 450x = NASCAR mini = formula 1
pert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in