Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #621 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's a vid of her in the hall last Monday. Sorry its only a camera phone vid, but you get the idea.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw0JAh7Acko[/ame]

She needs a bit of expo on the collective.....that's my excuse for the bounce anyway....lol.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #622 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lovely smooth flight Luke - so impressed I watched it all the way through

I agree with your advice to OLP - my old King would wag just like that before lift off then behave itself once in the air. And as you say could also be too much gyro gain.

But don't listen to a word I say - I have been wrong once or twice before

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #623 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
Looks like the gain is too high. I find on my 500, the gain needs to be really low....around 16% or -16% (I use a DX7 which has zero gain at 0%, unlike the DX6i which is 50% for zero gain). I have also moved my gyro, so that it isn't on top of the boom block, but on the Rx tray underneath....my Rx is on the bottom of the the frame then. I have read reports that on 500s, the top of the boom block can really be prone to addtional vibes which screw up the gyro.

You really can't tell for sure with it on the ground; the friction on the skids makes for a very strange effect, as the gyro kicks in, it doesn't move, so it puts more in, then it moves, over corrects, tries to go back etc etc.... You need to be in the air or on a lazy susan to tell for sure.
Just took a look at it and the rubber pads on the skids were loose so I ca'd them. That may have contributed. I was at 3/4 throttle and not airborne yet so I changed the pitch curve.

The battery is charging back up. What should I try for gyro settings? I was experimenting with that today. I think it's at 55% rate mode and 65% gyro.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #624 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Reduce the gain to 60% and see how you go. Both my 500s are around that much gain.
Don't be concerned about the rubber skid nuts moving, they will have no effect on the gyro.
You will find they are moving because if the wag. Not the other way around.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #625 (permalink)
Registered Users

Changed the gyro setting to 60. Gyro was holding better.

However, I think a servo link broke causing it to tip to one side violently.

1 broken servo link, 1 missing. I blade broke off at the root and the other has a chip out of it. All I've found so far. Back on the wall it goes. To heck with it.

Months of work, more money then I care to mention and I can't even get it to hover. !
Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #626 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

On a DX6i, you should have a rate mode gain of below 50% and an HH mode gain of over 50%. It seems common that 500s need low gain settings; their larger size and longer tail give greater turning forces than 450s. Double check what your gyro's manua says....I can't recall what gyro you have, but I have the HK401b and that works fine.

I would go for somethng like 42% rate mode and 58% HH mode (that would be the direct equivalent of +16% and -16% on my DX7s.....but all set ups will be slightly different).

Don't get dispirited OLP. These things are finicky to set up....but remember how rewarding it was once you got the HBFP to hover! Admittedly, a 500 was a big step up from an HBFP, especially to start with as a first CP heli....but you aren't far way now!

Hang in there, just some new blades, new servo links....and don't forget to check the feathering shaft
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #627 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with Luke--don't get discouraged. These things are tough but rewarding when it comes together. My 450 is flying beautifully now after lots of issues and at least 5 crashes. Your 500's will come together, too, so don't give up!
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #628 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykintom View Post
I agree with Luke--don't get discouraged. These things are tough but rewarding when it comes together. My 450 is flying beautifully now after lots of issues and at least 5 crashes. Your 500's will come together, too, so don't give up!
yep...trust me..after mine imploded i was a bit ticked off...but just time to build my other one and re-do this one...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #629 (permalink)
Registered Users

I appreciate the encouragement.

I've sunk a lot of money into this hobby and all I do is work on them, no real flying.....not even a decent hover.
I see the rest of you guys leaving me in your rotor wash and it's frustrating. I should be getting better but I'm not.
I buy high end parts with unrealistic expectations....good quality parts don't help your brain to thumbs skills.

I can take my $50 3 channel heli outside on a calm day and fly several batteries without crashing. It moves slow so it's easy to keep it under control. Same with my little Blade helis. At least it encourages me, I can fly those successfully.

Now I have this airplane.....thinking that it being less complicated, I may have better luck getting some flying time. If last night's sim practice is any indication, it will be broken and needing repair in less time then it took to get to the flying field. The whole spend, crash, fix, spend, crash, fix cycle all over again? Not having some flying enjoyment mixed in there really brings you down.

I used to fly real planes. But it's completely different flying rc.

Anyway, enough complaining. I'll take a break, go over the HK again...fix it and move on.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #630 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldladypilot View Post

I've sunk a lot of money into this hobby and all I do is work on them, no real flying.....not even a decent hover.
I see the rest of you guys leaving me in your rotor wash and it's frustrating. I should be getting better but I'm not.
I buy high end parts with unrealistic expectations....good quality parts don't help your brain to thumbs skills.

I can take my $50 3 channel heli outside on a calm day and fly several batteries without crashing. It moves slow so it's easy to keep it under control. Same with my little Blade helis. At least it encourages me, I can fly those successfully.

Now I have this airplane.....thinking that it being less complicated, I may have better luck getting some flying time. If last night's sim practice is any indication, it will be broken and needing repair in less time then it took to get to the flying field. The whole spend, crash, fix, spend, crash, fix cycle all over again? Not having some flying enjoyment mixed in there really brings you down.

Anyway, enough complaining. I'll take a break, go over the HK again...fix it and move on.

I fly my planes at least 3 to 1 vs my heli's....and i have well..3 times the # of planes to heli's as well! once you get the heli set you will be happy..i was able to whip my 450 around pretty hard last week in front of some people...nothing more than big figure 8's and pitch pumps..but enough for the people who hadn't seen me fly to be impressed and comment on it...so i'm feeling more confident and happy....but could not have seen my 500's explosion coming..so..just the way it goes....planes are a lot of fun....and in a way more relaxing and a lot easier to setup and make fly right...so you'll be fine...enjoy it!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #631 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

I feel for you OLP and have great admiration for your persistence - you haven't let it beat you yet and I hope you won't.

Nothing I can say about seeing your financial commitment sometimes being lost in your quest for success other than the fact you are on step 9 of a 10 step ladder so hang on in there - flying your baby is just over the next hill.

Your progress is recorded here to inspire others so please stay with your bird and let newbs learn from your experience as you finally achieve the success you deserve.

Here I know I speak for everyone when I say we are all right behind you.

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #632 (permalink)
Registered Users

Eloquent words from the Bugster--don't give up, you inspire more of us than you know. You will push through your hard time with these helis and put them behind you. As I have said to others, "If I can fly them, you can, too!" I was ready to sell my Bee about this time last year, but didn't, thanks to encouragement from forum folks like you, so hang in there, and this will all be a blip on the radar soon.
boykintom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #633 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bummer olp, might be a good idea to get help locally. I've got to say joining a club was the best thing I've ever done and would never be where i'm at with this hobby without their help.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #634 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys are all the Best!!

I'm in a slump again. I'll get over it, I always do.

In the meantime I'll just work on my Mustang. They have the battery compartment in front of the wings and it's very nose heavy. (What were they thinking)? So I'll have to make a spot for it under the canopy and make an esc- to-battery cable extension. Otherwise everything looks good, servos work etc. The motor is so quiet you can hardly tell it's running.

Don't worry.I won't be starting an aircraft thread on here!

Another thing I can do is get the new frame on my HoneyBee and get it going again!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #635 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
Bummer olp, might be a good idea to get help locally. I've got to say joining a club was the best thing I've ever done and would never be where i'm at with this hobby without their help.
Well I did meet up with the only other RC Heli flyer that I know of and he helped me some but I don't think he was very into teaching. Most people are into planes so it's hard to find anyone who knows much about helis.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #636 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You guys are all the Best!!

I'm in a slump again. I'll get over it, I always do.

In the meantime I'll just work on my Mustang. They have the battery compartment in front of the wings and it's very nose heavy. (What were they thinking)? So I'll have to make a spot for it under the canopy and make an esc- to-battery cable extension. Otherwise everything looks good, servos work etc. The motor is so quiet you can hardly tell it's running.

Don't worry.I won't be starting an aircraft thread on here!

Another thing I can do is get the new frame on my HoneyBee and get it going again!
Which 'stang you got? The Parkzone had a battery compartment accessed by lifting the canopy, but the compartment was forward of this....u pushed the battery forward into it.

Planes can fly a little nose heavy quite happily....and to start with it can make things easier in some ways. The LAST thing you want is a plane that is tail heavy. It puts so much effect into the elevator; it is like taking expo away and putting the throws up way above max. 3D fliers may do it intentionally to make the planes flip around a lot more....but newbies and intermediates want to stay away from it!

Sure, ideally you want it balanced with the CoG on the CoL line....but tail heavy is the one you really want to avoid at all costs.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #637 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Which 'stang you got? The Parkzone had a battery compartment accessed by lifting the canopy, but the compartment was forward of this....u pushed the battery forward into it.

Planes can fly a little nose heavy quite happily....and to start with it can make things easier in some ways. The LAST thing you want is a plane that is tail heavy. It puts so much effect into the elevator; it is like taking expo away and putting the throws up way above max. 3D fliers may do it intentionally to make the planes flip around a lot more....but newbies and intermediates want to stay away from it!

Sure, ideally you want it balanced with the CoG on the CoL line....but tail heavy is the one you really want to avoid at all costs.
It's this one;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #638 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice!

Remember, plenty of back elevator when she taxiing and at the start of the take of roll, as well as when landing. Otherwise, she'll go nose over!

The other option is to remove the gear and make her a belly lander....but u may want to swap to a 2 bladed prop for that!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #639 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nice!

Remember, plenty of back elevator when she taxiing and at the start of the take of roll, as well as when landing. Otherwise, she'll go nose over!

The other option is to remove the gear and make her a belly lander....but u may want to swap to a 2 bladed prop for that!
JMD told me to hand launch and belly land also. many of the reviews on the plane say it's better without the gear.
I did get a 2 bladed prop for it so I'm set.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #640 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
JMD told me to hand launch and belly land also. many of the reviews on the plane say it's better without the gear.
I did get a 2 bladed prop for it so I'm set.
yeah little bit of clear packing tape on the bottom will keep the foam from getting roughed up on landings....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in