Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6s to 12s

Hi all,

I've decided to move ip from the 500 class (2 Goblin 500's, Synergy E5). My new Competition 700 is in the mail.

However, I don't know a thing about joining 2- 6s 5000 packs together, nor how to connect the BEC to both or one.

I've looked around for diagrams and photos with nothing clear enough to make me confident moving forward. Can you help me understand please helifreaks?
Jason Asch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Stick packs are just two 6s packs shrunk together.. you still charge them as 2 lipos. Check this thread.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=519970
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok I saw this link and it explained the battery hook up in detail: [ame]http://youtu.be/_dvjGIo4gQc[/ame]

How do I connect the wires on the battery leads to the BEC? Thank you for your response.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which bec are you planning on running? Clint from Castle has a thread on rc groups about your exact question: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=1337474; pay close attention to the wiring diagram at the top of his first post in that thread, as it shows proper & improper connection methods.

Also, if you are interested, there are other options to power your electronics instead of using a separate bec, too - using an esc with built-in bec (such as Kontronik), or by using a receiver pack.

Post back with any questions you may have.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get a western robotics super bec 14s and solder black to black and red to red of esc. But frankly speaking I am surprise someone in this hobby do not know how to series connect 2 6s lipos together to made up a 12s pack.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skidpad, I have an extra western robotics laying around I could use but was concerned about using it because I'd have to extend the servo wire in order to reach the back of the unit... in the manual it's specifically states to not do so. I know Konronic can be pricy but if they make quality product that combines both it might be worth it. If I go with something like that and the ESC goes out wouldn't the BEC go too?

Ah_liang you must have been a genius when born, knowing everything about RC heli's and electrical engineering. Please excuse my ignorance and for using this forum to understand.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was very helpful. I'll post it here so other who find this post can use as a reference. Thanks Skidpad
Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_liang View Post
Get a western robotics super bec 14s and solder black to black and red to red of esc. But frankly speaking I am surprise someone in this hobby do not know how to series connect 2 6s lipos together to made up a 12s pack.
I'm not, nor do I fault him for it. Electrical theory and understanding - particularly when it comes to large battery setups like these - can be confusing to people. Shoot, just yesterday at my field (which has many experienced plankers), I had plenty of questions on my 12s and charging box setup from guys who've been in the RC hobby for a long time. "Series, parallel? What's that?" All here to learn, man.

I agree on the WR bec - good advice. I included the Castle reference because so many people use them, and the recommended connection is across 6s, not 12s.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've not had any issues with my CC on my other birds, I do have the WR BEC however, have you had success extending the wires to reach the back of your Heli? Thanks again for your help
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went for a 2s lipo flight pack and the best think I have ever done. Simple and can boot the system up and run the setup / check things without any fear of the heli spooling up.
I love having a separate flight pack and would do the exact same thing next time.
helimaddness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If going the RX battery route how do you plug in and out? Isn't it a pain plugging into the FB unit?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyToughGuy View Post
If going the RX battery route how do you plug in and out? Isn't it a pain plugging into the FB unit?
Yep, just plug it into the FBL unit. I have a Pulse 2s 2550mah for my Goblin 700 and love it. It already has a servo plug on the end for plugging it in. You just need to solder on a plug to charge it (it has a separate lead for that). I mounted it underneath with velcro and run a battery strap around it and the flight pack to keep everything nice and snug. You will also need a servo wire extension to reach your FBL. I think mine is about 6 inches.
http://pulse-lipo-2550mah-74v-rx-ultra-power-series
Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Or you could run an ESC with a good BEC (Kontronik is one) and use the internal BEC. Nothing to worry about... ever... and fewer failure points.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
No, not at all... You leave it plugged in to your fbl unit, and connect/disconnect upstream from there using something like this: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odID=SPMYHEC36

BEC/receiver pack is an individual choice, and each has advantages and disadvantages
Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't understand why it has two leads off of it. Is that necessary for power. If so I don't want it taking up extra ports on my FBL unit. Concept makes sense though thank you.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but I just plug the lead from the battery that already has a servo plug on it directly into my FBL (via an extension). Works just fine for me. I think that lead is for a battery without a servo plug on it already.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some FBL had 2 independent power bus like robird. They need 2 leads going into the unit to provide power to the servos the different bus provide power to. Most units, a single connection may not provide sufficient power and a second one is encouraged. Think of it as a backup.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most FBL controllers cannot handle more than a 10 amp pull in the servo output/input bus pins! Quite a few new HV servo systems easily pull more than this now. So by running dual leads up from the flight pack or bec. You safely now spread out the electronics voltage input so you don't overwhelm one servo plug. Lots of guys run one lead from a separate 2s flight pack directly into the FBL controller and another lead into whatever receiver may be being used. Personally, I don't trust any esc based bec's whatsoever. Just had a fellow pilot field his Kontronic 160 equipped Gob 700 and watched it drop out of the sky last week. True story!
We equipped it with a Scott Gray reactor running off a separate 3s pack now. Took all of 20 minutes to install properly.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

So 3s RX packs are the way to go for HV servos? Geesh I'm glad I did not spend $700 for a high end ESC/BEC to watch it fail down the road. Interesting... Still trying to figure out which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So 3s RX packs are the way to go for HV servos? Geesh I'm glad I did not spend $700 for a high end ESC/BEC to watch it fail down the road. Interesting... Still trying to figure out which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not unless you step it down through a bec or regulator...HV servos are not rated for 3s voltage - only 2s voltage. If going the receiver pack route, use a 2s lipo and enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in