Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Gaui has a lot of "event" free, fun flying on it lately, but I did break a double link in the exact same place as shown in the picture above. Don't know for sure if it was the cause or result of the crash, but with the way it was reacting prior to hitting the ground, I suspect it happened in the air and cause the unplanned earthly meeting.

It probably gets more flying than any of my other helis! I can step out my front door and practice FF, nose in, piros, etc.. Took it to the LHS yesterday to have the sponsored heli pilot there put it through it's paces. We ended up increasing the AIL on the swash mix to speed up the roll rate. No flybar weights, woodies and it's ready to go. Think I will walk down to the neighborhood park this morning to try some flips, etc.. (Need more room, just in case!) Might have to put that Z-Power 5150 on it later today!
R0t0R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a link to the SJM-180c manual: http://www.sjmrc.us/pdf/sjm180215_refm_a.pdf.

It look like a nice heli, but some of the aluminum like the tailcase looks kind of rough. It almost looks plastic. Is this a certain type of anodizing or something?

Scott said that everything in the manual is production quality except the frames on the heli in the pictures is the G10 fiberglass frame.

One last note. At the end of the manual, there's a parts list. In that parts list there is a green canopy option. Looks like after the heli is officially released, SJM could have really good parts support unlike Gaui. We already have another canopy option (probably), it took Gaui 6 months to do that, and we have CF blades. I'm still trying to get as much information about it as I can before I hit that pre-order button.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #83 (permalink)

that is one cool lookin heli. i dig the weirdness of it.
rotorhead58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Guys, whay are you looking for the CF blades for 200? In my opinion, on such a small bird there is no difference, and wooden blades are cheaper but you can do any 3D on them, also they helps to save your head parts in the crash!!!! just my 2 cents
Piranha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Heli View Post
Here's a link to the SJM-180c manual: http://www.sjmrc.us/pdf/sjm180215_refm_a.pdf.
Thanks.

I kind of like the "rough look" of the parts, and I love the way the manual is made "pictures only" with hardly any text.

And have you seen those mixer arms? No Gaui "disease" here.

And finally I love the idea that the whole heli is build around the boom, with no frame parts to break.

Can't wait to get mine.

Peter
psindrup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a suitable 4s battery someone could use on their SJM-180. Not sure how heavy it is, but it could work.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a couple of reservations bout the SJM, so Im waiting till someone else has flown and crashed it... (plus: I do not need anothe heli I do not need anothe heli I do not need anothe heli I do not need anothe heli I do not need anothe heli )

Im not sure about the boom as a frame idea, nice engineering, but when you bend a boom (and you will...) you have to rebuild the whole frame. That said 11mm 30 thou wall 7075 tubing is WAAAAY tough.

I dont like the slots that run into every threaded hole, thats just asking for the hole to open up and the bolt to strip out. I suspect they are a manufacturing artefact, I cant see any sensible person weakening a part like that (unless it helps sell spares )

The rough finish is a by product of using an abrasive waterjet to cut the parts out, sortof like sandblasted if you see what I mean.

Dave
small.planes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was browsing some old threads and found the thread by brandon_8 about scorpion motors for our 200s. I was looking at the different option and found that you might be able to use the Scorpion HK-2208-24 motor and Scorpion Commander 25A ESC for the SJM-180 as a different power option. I personally think the 30A esc that comes with the pro combo version of the kit is a little overkill.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree Cuzz but they don't have an ESC that is rated any lower.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in