Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New heli or fix the current bad heli.

So i got a used 500 clone for practicing. The thing is that the heli gave me a lot of trouble. Ended up replacing the tail servo, new swashplate, the whole tail unit with blades and blade holder. After i start to invert the heli the main blade grips fail. It has a HK Main head i was told to replace the head. Some guys told me to go with a tarot Main head other to go with align original head.

Here is the thing replacing the main head with original parts is close to $100 i have already spend almost $200 fixing the heli. The heli has some damage screws in the frame. If i were to replace the head with an original one i was thinking to buy the new 500L frame kit for $247 and pass the electronics. I was going to buy a X5 but the price is to high for me right now and don't want to crash a 1K heli.

Should i replace the head for a tarot head in the bad heli and wait to crash and get the 500L frame kit or go directly to a 500L frame kit? The problem is that i don't want to buy the tarot head and that another part fail . I don't know want else could go bad since i have change almost everything.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would never be flying a bad frame in the first place!! Get rid of it, cut your losses and get a used one that is in excellent shape or buy new like you mention. You'll save yourself time, headache and frustration!
Dingo07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamby View Post
Should i replace the head for a tarot head in the bad heli and wait to crash and get the 500L frame kit or go directly to a 500L frame kit? The problem is that i don't want to buy the tarot head and that another part fail . I don't know want else could go bad since i have change almost everything.
We all crash and rebuild, put another head on it, as we do a lot of crashing in the beginning and you wouldn't want to wreck a nice new bird.

Don't know your expertise level as far as mechanical or flying abilities. But, what I'll like to advice is to have a good mechanic / pilot nearby do a complete setup. Or bring it over to Carolina and I'll be glad to check it for you.

Hope this helps some.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well i don't have a problem to fix something i break but i haven't crash and this thing keeps braking stuff. Well i think i will try for one last time If after the head the heli damage another part is going to the garbage.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel your pain, I went the clone rout when I was starting out as well to save some money!

Unfortunately in this hobby you do get what you pay for. Original clone parts vs higher end heli parts are much different in my experience. Metal parts are made of softer metal and plastic parts are made of cheep plastic!

That being said we all crash and burn and cry together, weather its on a $100 heli or a $ 3000 heli it always hurts! LOL

If you are breaking parts mid flight most of the time, I would do one of three things.

-replace the parts one by one with factory align parts which will be much stronger and hold up better.

-Just replace the head with a Tarot head which (is almost identical to align). I hear that RJX heads are great as well are fairly durable and should hold up also!

-Last of all you can just skip the rebuild and look for a good used X5, Align, etc. which will be a much better heli to learn on and fly!

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Before all is said and done, you will have spent twice as much fixing that HK heli. Used 500 are pretty cheap and plentiful. I just got a Trex 500 pro elf with a speed canopy and 1 battery, brand new build, never flown off ebay for $390.
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure what your experience level is but also think a non-clone heli is a good idea. You can keep the clone and after you get more build and flight experience (assuming you are fairly new to the hobby), you can go back to the clone and make that your beater.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well i ordered the tarot head. The heli has been fixed by me, I tried to track the blades but could not get it perfectly. Its out of track by a minimum amount you need to focus to see it. The guys at the local club told me it was the blades that are very cheap.

Well the new news the esc is getting very hot( Its a 60amp turnigy esc). I'm running 85% throttle i have a 12T motor and 162T main gear with a 1800KV turnigy motor. This should be 2700rpm if im not wrong.

I think im going to move from heli. Just been short on $$. Was thinking of getting a x3 or some 450 size heli. I can feel im going to start crashing, right now been practicing tic tocs, half piros, funnels. The bad thing i don't want to get a 450 regret it because i like more the 500 size heli. Decisions decisions
Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just like with bikes (I come from that background - it's what I know), a cheap bike doesn't HAVE to be a pile of crap. The problem is that is takes knowledge to set it up right.

At my old bike shop I lost count how many people came in with bike they bought at walmart for $80 that were completely trashed (yet never ridden!!). Handlebars on backwards, brake cables loose, routed improperly, etc...

But, take one of those cheap bikes and have a proper mechanic assemble it and tune it up, and it will function quite nicely for someone just wanting to get from the dorms to class and back. Yeah, parts are looser, the shifting is imprecise, and the brakes suck, but it works. Many of the worst things about it can be fixed with a few well placed purchases/upgrades, like $10 brake pads, or a better seat.

Translate all my ramblings to toy helicopters and you can get by with a clone for a decent beginner's heli, *<<IF>>* it's set up properly. But of course, that takes insider knowledge and experience (something a beginner obviously doesn't have).

So you have a couple choices: find someone who IS experienced and get their help, or spend a few bucks more and get something that's a little better from the start.

I think the Blade line is a pretty good compromise in this respect. It's decent quality, flies well (especially for beginners), and isn't too spendy, especially considering you get a flying machine in a box. For $400, mine flew flawlessly right out of the box. Will I get another Blade if I get another heli? Probably not, I'll build a kit from the ground up, but I (more or less) know what I'm doing now.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always feel like I'm chasing a fart in the wind in those situations. I've learned to say "when" and cut my losses. Very few people I've flown with can get away with buying all the cheap stuff. Not me, I always end up paying three times more than if I would have done the good/better stuff to begin with.
Even if I buy a good used bird, I end up almost completely dismantling, checking, and rebuilding. Many solder joints that I've found are SCARY!

These situations also mentally burned me out with frustration.

Oxy3 285, Oxy4Stretch, Oxy4Max, Oxy5-520 6S, Urukay Triple head, Goblin 770 Sport.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Just like with bikes (I come from that background - it's what I know), a cheap bike doesn't HAVE to be a pile of crap. The problem is that is takes knowledge to set it up right.

Translate all my ramblings to toy helicopters and you can get by with a clone for a decent beginner's heli, *<<IF>>* it's set up properly. But of course, that takes insider knowledge and experience (something a beginner obviously doesn't have).

So you have a couple choices: find someone who IS experienced and get their help, or spend a few bucks more and get something that's a little better from the start. .
Bingo !

An improperly set Goblin, Gaui or whatever suits your fancy will be a flying turd.....................if it ever leaves the ground at all.

A properly set clone will give you hours of enjoyment and learning at a fraction of cost. When you've wrecked and rebuilt it a couple of times. When you can go and return from the field for a couple of months with a working heli, then it's time for the fancy stuff.

Otherwise feel free to toss money out the window.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I forgot to really answer the OP's question, though...

Should you fix the old one, or get a new one?

One day, I'd like to turn my 450x into my "beater", or my "spare" heli. Right now it's the only non-micro I have, so I fly a little timidly. Once I get a new one, I'll build a ground up kit and make it purdy, and use the 450x as my throw around beater heli, if there is such a thing...

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatCrank View Post
I always feel like I'm chasing a fart in the wind in those situations. I've learned to say "when" and cut my losses. Very few people I've flown with can get away with buying all the cheap stuff. Not me, I always end up paying three times more than if I would have done the good/better stuff to begin with.
Even if I buy a good used bird, I end up almost completely dismantling, checking, and rebuilding. Many solder joints that I've found are SCARY!

These situations also mentally burned me out with frustration.
This is a great perspective, too. It all comes down to experience. The more you know and experience, the more you'll be able to tell where it really IS important to spend the money, and where it doesn't matter, based on YOUR flying style. Do you really need a carbon fiber frame or $90 servos? Perhaps not. But maybe that $10 esc you found on Ebay wasn't the smartest choice...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in