Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Large Scale Projects 790+

Large Scale Projects 790+ Large Scale Projects 790+ Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DUDE!! I'm gettin a Vario!

Well, talked to super nice Joe at East Coast Vario yesterday and I was able to twist his arm so he would let me buy my first Vario fuse from him

Since this will be my first Vario, AND my first turbine, I wanted to start with something small, so I ordered up the 2.3 meter long Airwolf.

Jakadofsky Pro 5000 will be the motoring force
Vario turbine mechanics
Probably Viper X main blades, M-Blade tail blades
Havent decided on main rotor head, but am considering the SAB HPS2, maybe Heli-Factory- but I got a little while before I need to make a choice
Futaba SBUS and CGY750 for control
East Coast Vario instrument panel

Major goals for this build will be:

Modifications necessary to make the tail boom (easily) removable. My little Colorado truck simply does not have the real estate to transport a heli of this size LOL! I have an idea, just need to build it.

The Vario turbine Airwolf appears to me to be based on the Bell 430. Airwolf was a Bell 222 and the Vario vertical tail fin is the wrong profile for a Bell 222. So, I will fabricate a new one to more closely resemble the Bell 222. Same with the horizontal stab end plates, wrong profile, so I will fabricate new ones. And the horizontal stab appears to be too far forward, so some modifications will be needed to move it aft of the location Vario has it positioned on the tail boom.

And of course some personal touches to make it uniquely "mine".

It will be a few weeks before the fuse arrives. Mega build thread will be started once the fuse arrives and I will document as much of the build as you guys care to stomach.

I am as excited as a group of non-chaperoned girls at a shopping mall!
ssmith512 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

For your viewing pleasure, something to do while waiting.

http://www.airwolf.fr/

Hope this helps your build.
HW.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Exciting stuff ! Will be following with great interest
Old 02-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want one too
Joselox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you sir. Bookmarked!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking DUDE!! I'm gettin a Vario

Cheers on the moving on up. I wondered why I could not reach Joe when I called. He is a busy man for sure. I know you will get her looking good. Good luck, Gary
mastrg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Steve, Did you get in touch with East Coast right away or did it take awhile? Been trying to reach them for a couple of days now
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrg View Post
Hey Steve, Did you get in touch with East Coast right away or did it take awhile? Been trying to reach them for a couple of days now
Hey Gary

I talked to Joe at ECV on the phone 2 days ago. His phones and interweb were down for a few days due to New England getting hammered with snow storms.

He may be busy with getting caught up. Leave a voice mail and he'll get back to you.
Velos 880/Sab Urukay, KSE, Carbon Speed/Mikado Uvular/RCA Blackshark/Chaos 500 Evo, 550, 600, 700/Trex 500, 600, 600 Pro, 700/Roban 470 Cobra, 700 Apache, Cobra, 429, Jayhawk, 800 Airwolf/TFM 800 Blue Thunder, Seahawk, Jayhawk/ DX8 DX18QQ
treotraveler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks treotraveler,that is what I have done. Should have realized that he was getting hit worse then I was. Gary
Old 03-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fuse is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. Then the fun will start!!! Cant wait!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DUDE!! I'm gettin a Vario

That is great news Steve, I wish you well with it. I only wish my goblin mechanics would show up. I am at a stand still til then. Take care

Gary
Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

I'm sure you'll love the fuze Steve - the Vario glass seems very nice ! Not so sure about the mechanics - be interested in how you find the fit and function !! I'm still struggling with CGY750 and the H4-45 setup !
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I'm sure you'll love the fuze Steve - the Vario glass seems very nice ! Not so sure about the mechanics - be interested in how you find the fit and function !! I'm still struggling with CGY750 and the H4-45 setup !
I am getting the same mechanics Ray used in his 430, and he was very happy with them, so I am confident there will be no issues, but if I run inot any issues, I have some duct tape, a really big hammer and I know lots of very bad cuss words, so it should pose no problems!! LOL!!. I will be using the CGY750 in mine as well. Never set up a 4 servo swash, let alone one with offset, so I am curious to see how it goes. Will be a while before I need to do that setup though. Still havent decided if I am going to use a Vario swash or maybe get a Heli-fatory swash.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrg View Post
That is great news Steve, I wish you well with it. I only wish my goblin mechanics would show up. I am at a stand still til then. Take care

Gary
Hope your mechanics show up soon. I cant wait to see your masterpiece in the air!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in