Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Cypher 3D

Cypher 3D EF Cypher 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2081 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEN_TRY2FLY View Post
I'm running late to this Cypher party. I got mine sometime before Hobby People discontiued them, so that slowed down relearning to fly for me. I just pulled it out of storage debating to try or let it go.

if ya got it , Fly it
any help ya need just ask
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #2082 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have it ready, fly it. You can get parts form Hobby People, they just do not carry the full airframe.

Plus you can order it from Rons Heliproz south.

I just got my (2) new batteries for mine. I may send the old dog up this weekend.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #2083 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey ACEN TRY2FLY,

I fly my Cypher almost every weekend and I love it! If you don't want to keep yours let me know.

BTW: I recently switched from Spektrum to Airtronics... sold everything Spektrum I owned and bought an ATX SD-10. Long story short, I flew my Cypher with the new ATX gear last weekend for the first time and... $*&%!!! I can't come up with enough words to describe how awesome it felt with this radio! It was like a totally new helicopter. More nimble, powerful, and completely locked in. It was almost like mind control! It's hard to describe unless you have made the switch yourself (it's no secret that the SD-10 can move a swashplate from complete top to bottom faster than some radios can move it in just one direction!). Okay, I'm done with my Airtronics plug (but you guys should check it out)!

J
Cryptovariable is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #2084 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly my Cypher most weekends now too. I had to wait a long time to get spares though. I recently bought a new full kit for £50.00 rather than wait even longer for spares.

For a few months I just had my MCPX to fly which I really enjoy too, so the long wait wasn't too bad..

Shops are now selling Cypher kits cheap here in the UK. I just wish i could get some spare drive shafts. My bad flying has used a few of those!
Now I'm using some CF blades and they seem to make it nice and stable. Maybe the weight?
The only other slight mods I have made have been putting small venting louvres in the canopy to allow airflow in, to cool the speed controller. I also took the shrink-wrap off it to help cooling...I guess thats ok ??

Anyway I love flying both the MCPX and my Cypher which I think is a a great value heli, and with relatively cheap full kits, repairs are not too costly!

T
Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #2085 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Crypto, I have been flying Airtronics for the last 20 or so years. I think it is strange when I fly other brands, they just do not "FEEL" the same.

(4) VG6DR, (1) Radiant, (2) RD6000, (2) RDS8000.

Yet, I have been flying a $50.00 radio and it is pretty damn good too. It is no where near an Airtronics, but the 9x does a fine job. Six channel Rx's are $9.00, 8 channel are $14.00.

Buzz.

Last edited by blvdbuzzard; 01-28-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #2086 (permalink)
Registered Users

blvdbuzzard....what 9x are you recomending? I've been wanting to try one.
lannny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #2087 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

These are really the same radios. Yet they come from 3 different places.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001220455

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

I bought mine from Leader when they went on sale for $50.00, then Hobby king dropped their price so leaders did to. So now it goes for $40.00. It is a lot of radio for the money. There is a program board / back lite you can add to this radio. You can then down load new programming for it. It changes it from an 8 model memory to 16, changes a lot of the mixing options, you can assign any switch to do anything you want and a lot more.

Buzz.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #2088 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all,

The Cypher is still going strong (cell phone pic makes the blades look bent)...

It has a cheapo HK $3 canopy (because it's lighter), aftermarket landing gear (because they are wider and look better in my opinion), and Mavrikk 325 wide chord CF blades. I have also dyed the gears black (wasn't a big fan of the red color).

Lake Havasu City, AZ is in the background.

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cypher.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	284863  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #2089 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

lookin good
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #2090 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice looking Cypher. You are not to far away from me. I am as far south and as far east in Kalifornia as you can get.

Buzz.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #2091 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Buzz,

I looked on a map and as far east and as far south in CA look like two different places to me. As far east is near Parker, AZ, and as far south is near Yuma, AZ. I guess you'll have to spell it out for me.

While flying last Wednesday, the bearings in my stock Cypher motor went out (in a bad way) causing the can's magnets to rub on the stationary innards. It made quite the screeching noise but I was able to land it okay. Not sure why that happened because I keep them well oiled and maintain a proper gear mesh (with the piece of paper method).

After replacing the motor, I went flying last weekend, and while spooling up to speed, just before liftoff, the tail rotor picked up a rock and the whole tail assembly EXPLODED. Every single plastic piece on the tail is broken, including the horizontal fin on the boom! Only the belt is holding what's left of the tail drive to the boom. One of the departing blades even got into my Mavrikk mains nicking the leading edge pretty good. From now on I will be bringing a piece of carpet with me to take off from! Oh well, my Cypher needed an annual anyway.

Oh, one last thing. I have seen the light! I picked up a Ron's Heliproz (South) laser swash plate leveling tool for $20. Once you understand how it works you realize how amazing and simple it is! It takes a few passes over the instructions before you 'get it', but it isn't as hard as it seems at first. You don't have to have the heli level or anything, just stationary. If you want an insanely laser-perfect, swash-plate leveling (and end point adjustment) tool, this is it! This is far more accurate than those aluminum three legged swash levelers and it can even be used as a ridiculously accurate pitch gauge. I highly recommend it if you are into perfection and can't ever see myself using anything less.

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli-prod/LPGV2.html

J
Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #2092 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Closer to Yuma in Kalifornia. I used to go to havsu all the time skiing, fishing, skinny dipping Yes you need SPF 1000 for the tender areas.

I drive 160 miles round trip to work so a run to Vegas is not out of the question for a day trip.

I do a lot of flying in the Imperial valley.

When I was flying my 30 sized Raptor, I had a mid air boom strike. One of the main blades hit the boom at 1800 RPM. Talk about exploding. I walked away with an engine and 2 servos. Everything else was trashed.

Yes take a piece of carpet, wood, an old shirt. I used to bring a 12 foot by 12 foot piece of out door carpeting. I put grommets around the edge so I could use tent stakes to hold it down.

Buzz.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #2093 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

Just wondering... Would you guys run a separate UBEC on the Cypher when using 4 digital servos? I think the stock ESC BEC is rated for 3A if I'm not mistaken, but they could be Chinese-amps. I do believe I had a brown-out once during a 100% collective 'punch' when using a Spektrum RX with 1 digital and three analog servos, but after switching to ATX, I quit worrying about it (the RX can run at a ridiculously low voltage... I believe I read the servos will quit working before the RX drops out). I have a watt meter that would allow me to get an approximate amp draw for the RX/gyro/servo combo, but I have no way to see what the BEC output would drop to in flight under load with 100 throttle and all servos moving simultaneously (no watt meter logging feature).

Thanks guys.

J
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #2094 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just put the watt meter inline with the bec, strap the heli down VERY well and punch it t to get your reading. Can't give you advice on brown outs because I was using a hyperion with a cool switching bec that was rated for 4 amps 6 amps peak. But I don't think anyone else was having terrible even withthe stock gear.

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #2095 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i run a bec anyway.. cant hurt .. if you take Icebergs advice i recomend taking the blades off... even with the heli strapped down tight if you punch full collective with the blades on it could get "messy" i've seen things "pull apart" and cause some damage
Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #2096 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gotta do it with the blades on though, because you need the drag of of the blades for the servo's to be pushing on. So get some long leads for watt meter and hide behind your car or strap it to something over your head and make sure people are not around anywhere. Main thing is to keep rotating parts out of your line, including tail blades. If it did fly apart you want protection or it going the other way or over your head, common sense stuff.

Edit, just run your normal pitch and throttle curves unless you want to go crazy. I know my little hyperion was pushing 3000 rpm no pitch at around 60% throttle, that being said id like to know what the bec is putting.out with 4 digis pushed to the max. Theoretical you could bb add up all stall torques but I know you want asap real world. Only way to do that is strap er down and get voltage and current coming off the BEC. Good luck, be safe, and let us know.

Steve
Iceberg86300 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #2097 (permalink)
Registered Users

To make a long story short, I think the safest route is to just add a UBEC! That way I can run everything on a solid 6V. Thanks for the opinions!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #2098 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptovariable View Post
To make a long story short, I think the safest route is to just add a UBEC! That way I can run everything on a solid 6V. Thanks for the opinions!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #2099 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thinking about this heli. http://www.hobbytron.com/Cypher3D6CH...elicopter.html
What will I have to purchase in addition to what comes with this kit ?
Doesn't say if servos and gyro is included.
TravisBean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #2100 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

no servos.. it comes with motor and esc .. you need to add everything else

Tags
airtronics, cypher, make that the esc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in