Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default When to upgrade Servos / BEC?

I have been flying for about 3 months now, and and can hover pretty steady and am starting to get into some FF, and FFF. Unfortunately I'm still such newb that crashes are more common then I'd like, and Im growing tired of buying $4.00 gear sets to replace the ONE and ONLY gear that breaks in the stock servos.

If I upgrade to something like the HiTec HS65MG will I just end up breaking more expensive servos or are they more durable than the stock servos? I've read enough to know if I were a perfect pilot and doing 3d and all that, the servo upgrade would be an obvious first step. However, as a crash-test-dummy, is upgrading these servos now a good move?

Thanks in advance.
saderax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Upgrading to metal gear servos is a good move anytime.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've crashed many times with the hs65mg's and never had to do any repairs to them. It's well worth upgrading the servos. Just be aware that if you use the hitecs, you will have to enlarge the openings in the frame a bit to get them to fit.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the quick answers. Do I need to upgrade any additional components at the same time? When do I consider upgrading the ESC or adding a BEC? Or will the stock ESC handle the upgrade to all HiTec servos fine?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

bec`s are the cheapest insurance you`ll ever buy.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I read the title, I thought "as soon as you open the box"

Honestly, the stock ESC just doesn't cut it for long without a BEC, and the difference that you will notice going to the hitecs vs the stock servos is night and day
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Add a Turnigy Sentry 40 amp ESC no need for a aux b.e.c . The ESC has it built in and it works fine.Hobby King has them for a reasonable price. Even with upgraded servos & Gyro that ESC doen't even get anywere near hot. Good time to do upgrades , Now couldn't be better.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

me 2, I run a align 35A ESC 2200 MAH batts, stock motor, and after 7 min of idle up. it's just warm to the touch, no bec needed...........
Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You will be amazed at how much easier it is to hover with the hs65mg servos. I upgraded my stock servos after going through a few gear sets and blown servos. I've yet to replace a hs65mg. I'm still running stock ESC with no additional BEC. I'm also still running stock gyro with an upgraded tail servo.

widower is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Argh, so many decisions... so unimformed am I (for a newb?)

ESC/BEC combo or External BEC?
35A or 40A?
Castle Creations or Turnigy?
5V or 6V?

The only thing I'm sure about is I need a brushless whaddever... I'm currently grounded. Please... help...
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the fastest fix is to get atleast another 35a esc from your LHS.
the slowest fix would be buying from hobbycity, unless you add another 25 bucks for ems shipping, then thats still a week out and adds that much more to the price of the esc.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought a Castle Creations BEC from www.ronlund.com and with the us postal service's priority mail it came in two days (from texas to ohio). I was running an upgraded tail servo but am upgrading the gyro now and decided to go ahead and buy the BEC. I've never found any real solid answer about when to upgrade to the BEC but did it to avoid problems. The JR ds920g tail servo flew fine with the stock esc, stock cyclic servos, and stock gyro.

If you're upgrading the cyclic servos it may be a good idea to go ahead and do the BEC addition while you're at it. At least that little job would be behind you.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The JR package fits right in---comes with 3 ds285's and a tail 3500 for $165 shipped on ebay. They work great too. You can keep the stock gyro or go with a new one. I went with teh JR's and a gy401 and she flew awesome.
-Trex 250-Align gp750 gyro, ar6100 reciever, Align servo's
-Dx7
SleeveofWizard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default best esc

I've found that the casle ice 50 is a good choice. It has a 5 amp adjustable voltage switching bec and came with a rebate for the castle link. With the link plugged into a computer a ton of other options are changable and it has data logging. Plus it fits perfectly in the original esc place.
atkinson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now he's more confused. If you need it today you pay more , if you can wait ,you save, Your choice. All are good choices. many to chose from any many not even listed that are just as good. GoodLuck
Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcraft-IX View Post
When I read the title, I thought "as soon as you open the box"

Honestly, the stock ESC just doesn't cut it for long without a BEC, and the difference that you will notice going to the hitecs vs the stock servos is night and day

Me too.
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/CHunter2009 View Post
Now he's more confused. If you need it today you pay more , if you can wait ,you save, Your choice. All are good choices. many to chose from any many not even listed that are just as good. GoodLuck
Are the HITEC HS-65MG DIGITAL servos, just plug and play? with the stock 400 ,
Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by claywake222 View Post
Are the HITEC HS-65MG DIGITAL servos, just plug and play? with the stock 400 ,
the stock servos work difrently to other servos

most other servo hopups will have reversed throws,

so your cyclic will be reversed and the pitch too
you just head on up to the swash mix in the dx6i settings and if it says +75 you need to change to -75 on all three mixes, dont reverse the channels as it messes up the mixing, it has to be done in the swash mix settings only.

i opted for the karbonite servos as im still learning also so if the gears break whicj will take a very bad crash to break anything, i can simply buy the metal gear sets as they are the same gear ratio as the karb ones,

karbonite ones are also alot cheaper, metal gear ones are stronger but serious crashes can still break em also so you need to think about cost effective here

i chose the karbonite ones as they are still way stronger than stock and still the same performance of the metal gear ones, and still the option to upgrade to metal gear without the cost of buying a whole new servo
im thinking this might be more cost effective for me with still having great performance too

the servo upgrade is a pain todo as you need to level the swash and set the linkages up and things but you will be like WOW, its a whole diffrent animal afterwards

very smooth and precice control "much faster responce" over stock, may need a tad more expo to make it feel like stock servos if you dont like the sudden performance upgrade feel,

defo hitecs are one of the best servos to put on the b400
puggster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggster View Post
the stock servos work difrently to other servos

most other servo hopups will have reversed throws,

so your cyclic will be reversed and the pitch too
you just head on up to the swash mix in the dx6i settings and if it says +75 you need to change to -75 on all three mixes, dont reverse the channels as it messes up the mixing, it has to be done in the swash mix settings only.

i opted for the karbonite servos as im still learning also so if the gears break whicj will take a very bad crash to break anything, i can simply buy the metal gear sets as they are the same gear ratio as the karb ones,

karbonite ones are also alot cheaper, metal gear ones are stronger but serious crashes can still break em also so you need to think about cost effective here

i chose the karbonite ones as they are still way stronger than stock and still the same performance of the metal gear ones, and still the option to upgrade to metal gear without the cost of buying a whole new servo
im thinking this might be more cost effective for me with still having great performance too

the servo upgrade is a pain todo as you need to level the swash and set the linkages up and things but you will be like WOW, its a whole diffrent animal afterwards

very smooth and precice control "much faster responce" over stock, may need a tad more expo to make it feel like stock servos if you dont like the sudden performance upgrade feel,

defo hitecs are one of the best servos to put on the b400
Well I am sold, I have broke more teeth in them servos than I would like to say.
If I understand right I could still replace the gears in 65s if they get stripped?
and do I worrie about annalog or ditigal?
thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok... LHS was good to me... (or I was good to it). I got 3 new HS65-MGs and a new GY401. Unfortunately the ESC/BEC (Phoenix ICE 50) will not get here until next week.

Any harm in flying all the new gear on the old ESC for a week? Can I at least turn it on and test the servos / setup the tail? Or should I not even hook up a battery until I get the new ESC?

Tags
bec`s or not to bec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in