Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Having trouble with my 450, need help (videos)

I am finishing setup of my new build. It is a 450 that will be finding a home inside of an RC Aerodyne Airwolf fuselage. I am doing the test flying before fitting it into the fuselage, and it is just not flying right. I have two other 450s (one scale one not) so I have a feel for how they should fly. I made a couple of videos. In the first video, I stop in the middle and up the TH curve from 0-65-75-75-75 to 0-65-80-80-80. It is an EXI frame, with Align tailboom and boom block. It is an unbranded Tarot sport head and tail. The head has an Align main shaft. The motor is a Turnigy Typhoon 2215 with 13t pinion, the esc is a hobbywing platinum pro 40. The gyro is a Futaba GY240, with a Hitec HSG-5084MG. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g__kLU5EDMU&noredirect=1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNaDvWX7ok&feature=channel&noredirect=1[/ame]
mberta2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

What do you mean by it's not flying right?

You're hovering a 450 INSIDE, at less than the main rotor's diameter in altitude, which means you'Re in the ground effect.

For sure, it will fly funky...
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok I know I was hovering inside, but I am standing behind a wall, with safety glasses on. I had taken it outside to do the test, but it was 15mph winds gusting to 35mph and 35 degrees outside. First off the spin up seems violent compared to my other 450s especially since it is in super soft start mode. Next, the tail is kinda funky. With the th curve at 0-65-75-75-75 the tail wags a little, and with it at 0-65-80-80-80 it just drifts nose left. I have test flown many helis in my basement and this one just doesnt feel right. I was hoping someone would notice something that i wasn't noticing.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'm guessing you might have to tweak your gyro gain.

Also, check for vibrations, bindings, usual stuff.

Are your other helis clones too?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya here are my other heli specs.
450 Tarot, Align
Align 450M, Align 35A ESC
DX6i/AR6210 GP780
T Pro MG90, Hitec HSG-5084MG

HK450 Hughes MD500
Helium 3000kv, Hobbywing Plat Pro 40A ESC
DX6i/Orange Rx GY401
T Pro MG90, Savox SH-0264MG
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Was asking about the other helis as If the other were higher end helis They might be more solid without tweaking than a clone.

I'm guessing the gyro settings, vibrations and or bindings are causing this.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya my best heli is a Tarot kit with Align electronics except the servos which are T Pro cyclics and Hitec tail. I wish I had the coin to drop on an Align Trex 450 Pro flybarless.I will check all of those things. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I can be a bit annoying when I haven't had much sleep and I'm working on these things. haha
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I dropped the BEC output to 5.25v, turn the govern mode off, and resetup the tail. I was able to drop the throttle curve back down to 0-65-75-75-75 and it was flying good. I still have a little bit of nose left drift, but very little. Even with the gain turned way up I cant get it to wag, nor hold perfect. It's manageable though, it is so minute of a drift. I'm just wondering why with the gain turned up, it wont hold or wag? All in all I am much happier with the flying characteristics.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default .

That throttle curve looks funny to me. Try 0, 40, 60, 85, 100 for normal flight mode?Maybe head speed to low causing mushy tail that gain won't fix.
H.M.MURDOCK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya I'm thinking that you might be right. I was running the funny curve because this is going to be a scale heli. That curve works great for my other scaler, so I thought it would work good for this one too. I guess each heli acts different. In the morning I am going to try upping my throttle curve.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberta2 View Post
I'm just wondering why with the gain turned up, it wont hold or wag? .
You can move the ball out on the tail servo to increase "gain" then readjust the gain pot...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I will try that. One question though. I am using a Futaba GY240, and there is no limit adjust. Would I just adjust the limit using the "travel adjust" setting on my dx6i?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberta2 View Post
Ok I will try that. One question though. I am using a Futaba GY240, and there is no limit adjust. Would I just adjust the limit using the "travel adjust" setting on my dx6i?
That is a good question.I have a 240 but I have not used it in a while,I don't remember how I limited travel.With a 401 type, the tx travel adjust only changes your piro rate.I would say give it a try ...
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Moving out one hole on the servo didn't work very good. It was binding the linkage because it wasn't lining up anymore. Not to mention, with no travel adjust, it was binding at the ends of the travel too. I don't wanna burn up my tail servo because of a very miniscule drift. I ran a more smooth th curve too. 0-35-69-80-92 The little bit of extra head speed during flying makes the drift almost non existent. I mean, the drift now is like 2 degrees in 30seconds. I think I am just being picky now. When I am flying I will never notice the drift. As soon as the weather clears up a little, I will get some test flying in. After I am 100% (maybe half a dozen flights or so) I will put it in the fuselage.Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

After a little more work, I have it completely driftless. WooHoo!!!! No matter how long you do this, something always give you a hard time with every heli. Haha. Thank you everyone who contributed. I will get some test flying in, and then get it into the fuselage. If you are interested I will be posting the finish Airwolf in the scale section when its done.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default .

Glad you resolved the problem!
H.M.MURDOCK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in