Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > 350QX

350QX Blade 350QX Multirotor Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Telemetry Data from the 350

I think this has been asked before and I remember the answer but I don't remember why.

Why can't we get telemetry data off the board on the 350? Can it be fixed in firmware or is it solidly a HW problem? I realize we would have to add our own telemetry RX inside. I don't mind that.

It seems totally illogical to have a model such as this with telemetry enabled radios in their very own product line and to not be able to get telemetry from this bird.

If this were a $450 heli or plane, people would be standing on their heads raising cain about the fact that it's not available, yet no one seems to even raise an eyebrow over it because it's a quad? Really?

Am I alone in feeling this way?
WilsonFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
I think this has been asked before and I remember the answer but I don't remember why.

Why can't we get telemetry data off the board on the 350? Can it be fixed in firmware or is it solidly a HW problem? I realize we would have to add our own telemetry RX inside. I don't mind that.

It seems totally illogical to have a model such as this with telemetry enabled radios in their very own product line and to not be able to get telemetry from this bird.

If this were a $450 heli or plane, people would be standing on their heads raising cain about the fact that it's not available, yet no one seems to even raise an eyebrow over it because it's a quad? Really?

Am I alone in feeling this way?
You are not alone!
It's frustrating.

Phantom 2 Vision and assorted other egg-beaters.
pixeltim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did anyone find the answer to this?
RZR007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There doesn't seem to any place to tap into that data on the board. Who knows what a future firmware upgrade might bring, but that seems to be the only way it could happen using the existing parts. There's hope because the controller and receiver are on the same board together, and it would appear that the control firmware for the quad can be upgraded using the Spektrum USB port. My DX8 shows the telemetry signal strength indicator (5 bars in upper-left corner of display) when the 350QX is on, so it seems the receiver could transmit something.

I'm surprised that the 350QX doesn't have telemetry not because of the price point but because the DX9 launched at nearly the same time. The 350QX with telemetry for altitude and location combined with the DX9's emphasis on voice announcement of telemetry data would be a huge marketing/sales opportunity. If the 350QX had telemetry built-in, HH probably would have sold me a DX9 already.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you noticed that there is 'some' telemetry that is transmitted back to your radio.. The frame drop and holds show up on my DX7s..

I agree i would be cool to see battery voltage, altitude, and GPS data..
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, I didn't notice that. I didn't even pay attention to the telemetry screens since there are postings everywhere about the fact that it doesn't do anything. I fired it up and I got excited when the Altitude read "-0.3 feet" on the DX8 instead of just "-----" like all the other data, so I went out and flew it to see what would happen. The Altitude never changed. Darn it! Did see a few frame drops and one hold, but that's all that came back to the TX.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
If the 350QX had telemetry built-in, HH probably would have sold me a DX9 already.
I feel exactly the same way. I can't justify the outlay of a radio that does more than I can use or will need for this so until there's a need I am restraining from purchasing anything better than the DX6i I am currently using.

Does anybody think it would be worth a pre-emptive purchase though? Surely the second somebody cracks/ figures out how to get telemetry from it then radios with more functionality will be flying off the shelves (pun intended).
Adsport is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Telemetry Data from the 350

The dx9 is so much better in every way over the dx6I. I wouldn't let the 350qx telemetry issue keep it away from your hands...

I hooked up a Tm1000 and while I don't have GPS at least I have fades, holds, battery voltage and pack temperature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1384141635593.jpg (44.3 KB, 377 views)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
The dx9 is so much better in every way over the dx6I. I wouldn't let the 350qx telemetry issue keep it away from your hands...

I hooked up a Tm1000 and while I don't have GPS at least I have fades, holds, battery voltage and pack temperature.

fair call indeed, thanks!
Adsport is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Indoorheli, I think you need to unplug the Orange wire going to your TM1000. No way are you getting fades and holds via the gimbal ports.. it is just reading noise from those servo signals. Actually, the 'F' signifies dropped frames. If you actually had 600+ dropped frames and 9 holds, your flight would have been a disaster. In order to read frames and holds, the TM unit needs to be plugged into a compatible data port.
T-Rex 700 HV DFC w/VBar, Kosmik 200 & KDE700XF - My muscle heli
HFMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh I guess I should have mentioned that was a pic of when I first noticed the reports. I was testing to see if it was real data that the stock board was sending back. I was in range test mode in my office behind a few walls with the antenna pointing straight at the 350qx
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either way. the only wire that can carry telemetry data is the orange wire, which we know is wired to a gimbal servo port the way you have it set up. Do another test outdoors, and see what you are measuring after a flight.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last flight I recall checking I had around 7 fades no holds.
indoorheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The issue here is that telemetry should be built into the control board - should not need to add a telemetry module to get the data. HH should have had basic telemetry from day one. Would be nice for those that already have the DX7s, DX8, DX18. I did buya DX9 and wish that my 350QX would tell it GPS data along with flight pack voltage.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFMan View Post
Indoorheli, I think you need to unplug the Orange wire going to your TM1000. No way are you getting fades and holds via the gimbal ports.. it is just reading noise from those servo signals. Actually, the 'F' signifies dropped frames. If you actually had 600+ dropped frames and 9 holds, your flight would have been a disaster. In order to read frames and holds, the TM unit needs to be plugged into a compatible data port.

+1

You are correct. The 350QX board doesn't have any data port for the TM1000. and you are also correct the two gimbal ports don't output any data besides signal for the servo and 5V out.

Trust me, we scoped the board output for the same reason and couldn't find any out put for data.

You can do this. Works 100% for me!

Spektrum AR625 is the only light wight RX that has data out for the TM1000. so i added DORA = DSM On RSSI Adapter to it and hooked it to my OSD. Works like a charm.

DORA translates (Spektrum) DSM receiver output into RSSI signal for OSD / FPV (1 min 57 sec)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORA-transla...-/321110480752

Hope this helped.
vr6tvw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, in a way- it does have very minimal information out of the box. The 350QX natively sends back at a minimum RX Hold information (and maybe frame drops, but I've never seen anything other than zero to date)- the same as the 130X and the Nano QX (and maybe others). It does baffle me that the on-board data such as Battery voltage and RX voltage are not included- doesn't seem like it would have been to much to add. GPS info would be a different matter, but maybe there will be a firmware update to address this (I doubt it).
Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6tvw View Post
+1

You are correct. The 350QX board doesn't have any data port for the TM1000. and you are also correct the two gimbal ports don't output any data besides signal for the servo and 5V out.
I thought he was saying it might interfere with actual data, which it doesn't appear to do.
You dont need data in for what I am using the tm1000 for since the 350qx already has fades and holds. All other data info is sent via the tm1000.

The tm1000 will also only work in the the front servo port. The rearward port..at least on mine just wants to rebind.. Maybe that is an issue arising from noise, I dont know
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschenck View Post
The issue here is that telemetry should be built into the control board - should not need to add a telemetry module to get the data. HH should have had basic telemetry from day one. Would be nice for those that already have the DX7s, DX8, DX18. I did buya DX9 and wish that my 350QX would tell it GPS data along with flight pack voltage.
While they should have...its probably a marketing thing so they can get you to purchase a v2 or a 350qx pro
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey indoorheli, how has that telemetry unit been working out for you and how difficult was it to add?
Aerial pics at http://foosyou.imgur.com
FoosYou is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the tm1000 and it has been working out well for what I wanted.

As far as installing it was as simple as plug in and rebind. Really the only effort would be if you want to add it inside the body near the front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in