Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Opening up DX7 for fixing neck strap holder

I just bought a Spektrum neck strap adapter to balance my DX7. I noticed that it works only if the DX7 neck strap loop is horizontal. My neck strap loop on the DX7 is not horizontal, i mean the neck strap loop screw that screws in the transmitter is not tight enough at horizontal position.

Did any of you have this issue? if so what did you guys do?

Please advise.

Thanks

Last edited by BarnOwl; 10-20-2007 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Added pictures for accessing interior
zsultan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, but you have to take it apart and tighten it.
bullaculla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What should i take apart?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a huge pain in the @$$. You could probably get away with just removing the strap loop completly by turning it CCW and then drop a shim or two, or even a thin washer on the bolt and then retighten. The nut inside the TX wont move if you dont push on it.

:edit:
I just did mine. I can post pics of taking it apart if you want.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

bullaculla,

Thank you very much, please post the pictures to open the tx.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tightening your DX7 harness loop

Alright, got all pics uploaded. If you are not into taking things apart just for fun, I do not recommend this. Also, keep track of where all the screws live. They are all very different, but it will help if you keep everything organized. The whole thing should only take 5-10 minutes. I don't know how sensitive these circuit boards are to static, but it is basically a computer, so i'd ground myself by wearing that bracelet thing or touch something metal before digging into this. Also try not to touch any metal on the boards since the oils from your hands can start to corrode it.

First, make sure TX is off and battery is unplugged and removed. Remove the 6 long phillips screws from the back of the TX. Be careful removing rear cover because the battery pack plug is attached to the back.

Carefully turnover rear cover and if you want, remove the small phillips screw that is holding battery plug. You dont have to remove it, just keep it out of the way. The wires are pretty thin, so I chose to remove it.

Now, remove upper small circuit board with bind button by removing the 4 small screws. Be careful of the antenna wire. Fold over gently to get to the next board

You will find another small board with a fuse attached and the power switch is on the other side. Remove this one by unscrewing the 2 small phillips and the 1 larger phillips in the middle.

There is the gold! brass actually. The previously removed large screw in the middle uses the same brass threaded spacer as the harness loop.

Make sure harness loop is straight and then tighten the treaded hex spacer. There is a lock washer, so no need to over do it.

Reassemble in reverse order making sure all wire are connected and not pinched or over twisted. Be careful not to over tighten or cross thread the screws.
Hope this helps
Old 10-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow, just did this today before reading this post. I used blue loctite on the threads of the neck strap loop and did not have to remove the hex screws on the front. Make sure that you do not "pinch" the wires from the switch harness. Great pics, this really helps on referencing how everything stacks.

Ken
Nyther is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyther View Post
Wow, just did this today before reading this post. I used blue loctite on the threads of the neck strap loop and did not have to remove the hex screws on the front. Make sure that you do not "pinch" the wires from the switch harness. Great pics, this really helps on referencing how everything stacks.

Ken
Thanks, I edited my post. I removed them hoping the front cover would just come off and I could tighten it from there without taking the whole thing apart
Maybe someone could sticky this in the Radio section?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Maybe someone could sticky this in the Radio section?
Done! Thanks for the very clear pics bullaculla!

Last edited by BarnOwl; 10-20-2007 at 05:08 AM..
BarnOwl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Great Bullaculla, I have to do this too. Been putting it off because I thought it would be a PITA..... guess I was right. Oh well..... might as well just do it. Thanks for the pics.

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

I was able to just rotate mine counter clockwise a quarter turn, so I didn't need to crack open the box. I'm happy to have missed out on all the fun.
dogfart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasHeliCop View Post
Great Bullaculla, I have to do this too. Been putting it off because I thought it would be a PITA..... guess I was right. Oh well..... might as well just do it. Thanks for the pics.
Its not that bad. Just take your time and hold the screw driver carefully.

Dogfart, If you turn yours 90 degrees, you cant use the spektrum, or g force type balancers to keep your TX level. Right now, i'm using the cheapy eye bolt with shrink wrap method as you can see in my pics, but I have an X9303 on the way, and that will get a nice balancer. No home depot hardware on that radio!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exactly ! Nicely documented, I used two very thin spacer washers and blue loctite..worked like a charm. Too bad Spektrum did not slot the case and key the hang loop, this would have helped to align it while tighetening.

Last edited by nigel1; 10-31-2007 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: .
nigel1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank you

bullaculla

Thank you for the pictures and instructions.
gww528 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

...a drop of CA glue works a treat, just a little, stand DX7 on its side, drop some glue on a bit of card then with a small screwdriver run the glue round the neck strap holder job done!
Phil

smudgyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Its a huge pain in the @$$. You could probably get away with just removing the strap loop completly by turning it CCW and then drop a shim or two, or even a thin washer on the bolt and then retighten. The nut inside the TX wont move if you dont push on it.

:edit:
I just did mine. I can post pics of taking it apart if you want.
Ive been putting this off too.I really didnt want to take the radio apart to turn a damn nut 1 flat.So I opted to just carefully unscrew the stud from the front and add a shim washer and a very small bit of blue loctite.Worked like a charm and it took 2 mins for both radios.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Ive been putting this off too.I really didnt want to take the radio apart to turn a damn nut 1 flat.So I opted to just carefully unscrew the stud from the front and add a shim washer and a very small bit of blue loctite.Worked like a charm and it took 2 mins for both radios.
Scott,

You are a cheater.... I had to take mine apart so my FireUp Balancer would stay put. What a pain in the A$$.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just added the LYNX balancer, and I see now I have to tighten the neck strap loop.
It tends to wanna slide to one side if I'm not careful.
Thanks for the nice pictures, makes it a bit easier(still a pain tho)
SAB Goblin 700Comp.
CoolKD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, someone put the eyelet on my DX7 at the bottom of my power switch versus leaving it at the top (I bought it used). Does anyone know the extent of work required to get the front plate off the DX7 so I can switch the eyelet back to the top?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC10465.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	231993
mjcelli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcelli View Post
Well, someone put the eyelet on my DX7 at the bottom of my power switch versus leaving it at the top (I bought it used). Does anyone know the extent of work required to get the front plate off the DX7 so I can switch the eyelet back to the top?

Attachment 231993
If you look a bit, there is a STICKY on this part of the forum called
DX7 Add a LED light & Relocate Neck Strap Mod
And yes, it's a bit of work looking at the pictures. If I was you I would keep it there.
The location it is now on your TX, is the same spot you end up with a balancer on it.
SAB Goblin 700Comp.
CoolKD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in