Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I love Helis

I'm a bit of a tech geek. I built 1 Heli, and have crashed it 3 times, but it is pretty easy to re-build. This is a Tiger 325. I had a tough time getting it rigged correctly, but I'm getting better at that. All 3 times I crashed it, I could have avoided it with better "keeping my head about me" and better tx setup.

So because of all that success flying [ha!], I decided to build a 600. I figured a 325 is ~450-class heli and so a 600 would be somewhat bigger and a bit easier to fly. Holy smokes! the 600 is a lot bigger. A 500 or 550 might have been a better choice. Anyway, I really like my 600 [trex] And I love the idea of FBL. And the Gpro was argualby easier to rig and set up than my Futaba tail gyro.

Anyway, I got the 600 rigged to a knat's ass. Collective, cyclic all hit within 0.1 degrees of where they are supposed to be both top bottom and middle of collective. Blades balanced to the limit of my balancer. While this took a while, it is fun, so I was not going for speed, and I figured, why not stack the decks in my favor? I tried a ground run, got it light on it's feet, tracked scary perfect right out of the gate; but I broke a pitch link. Not sure the tracking was just because my rigging was so clean, or that this always happens. Anyway, broke a pitch link, and I'm pretty sure this is because I'm scared to death of the head speed on this thing so I was running it way way too slowly. If anyone is still with me, let me know if this is the cause. otherwise, I'll have to go back to the drawing board, and I'm definitely going to spin it up to 80% next time. But jeeze, it is scary. I calculated this thing will generate nearly 5 HP if pushed. That is going to leave a mark if it goes south.

The other reason why I've crashed before is because I had my tx set up for full negative collective when the throttle is at zero, and did not have normal/idle1/idle2. So now my pitch curves start at 40%, 45% etc.

I also decided to switch to Spektrum tx, and it would have protected me from possibly both of my other 2 crashes--1, you can't change models accidentally, and even if you do, it won't spin up the rotors. And if you turn on the tx with the throttle engaged, or Idle engaged, it also won't spin up the rotors, giving you a warning instead. finally, the throttle disable was easy to set up, and I use it as a habit now.

Let me make a plug for Spektrum. A really nice TX. I like the voice, I like the vibe warnings, and it is almost completely intuitive. The only thing I needed the manual for was to try to figure out binding. Everything else was super simple. This thing seems like it was made for Helis. Not sure about if it would be good for acro.

I also am getting Heli-X. I hope this works with my DX9. It seems flying the sim is a great way to crash a lot less. Seeing as how I seem to have that crash skill down pat :-)

And, since I like the gpro, I am also going to be building a trex-450. My thought is that with 2 birds, I should be able to keep one in working order, so I don't have long durations waiting for an hour to play or waiting for parts.

Anyway, this and helifun have been immeasurably helpful getting me info and advice as I don't have much time to meet and find experts. Of course Bob's vids carves the whole complicated mess into little, easy to understand, topics, so you don't have to spend hours and hours figuring out the key things.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully I have not worn out my welcome!
xxyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK, Heli-X and DX9 seem to work really well. I can see why the Sim is so important.

I really like the hover training--this got me to be able to hover fairly well, with even the 130.

Getting the right sim interface was a little tricky, seems like I'm good now.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Jumped in with both feet

I remember that sky-high feeling of exiliration at 1st....and again last week. Its a great hobby and its nice feel so gun-ho about something. It will help temper the time and money commitment needed to progress forward in the hobby. Stay safe!! A 600 can end your enthusiasiam in the worst way!
sconel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks. Yea, the 600 is scary. But really smooth and stable.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 450 is almost done, and my 150 is broken (swashplate). So I may have all 3 up and running by the weekend.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh well. 150 batteries shorted (left the charging pig tail). Gpro on 450 is DOA. So I'm going to see if I can get the 600 flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in