Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis > Raptor G4/E720

Raptor G4/E720 Thunder Tiger Raptor G4/E720 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo ESC suggestions

So it's finally a new year and time to get all of the electronics for my e720. I already have a Scorpion HKIII 4035-500kV motor and I am planning on running a GT5 gyro and 2 5000mah 6s lipos in series. Aside from that I'm undecided. I would like some suggestions for servos and the ESC. For servos I would prefer titanium gears, high resolution, and really high quality. I've been looking at Savox and Futaba mostly.

For the ESC I would prefer one that is optically isolated to protect my receiver/gyro should anything go wrong. I've looked a little at the scorpion commander 50V OPTO 130A ESC, but haven't heard much about them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Spektrum: DX8
AalFerrari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AalFerrari View Post
So it's finally a new year and time to get all of the electronics for my e720. I already have a Scorpion HKIII 4035-500kV motor and I am planning on running a GT5 gyro and 2 5000mah 6s lipos in series. Aside from that I'm undecided. I would like some suggestions for servos and the ESC. For servos I would prefer titanium gears, high resolution, and really high quality. I've been looking at Savox and Futaba mostly.

For the ESC I would prefer one that is optically isolated to protect my receiver/gyro should anything go wrong. I've looked a little at the scorpion commander 50V OPTO 130A ESC, but haven't heard much about them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Jive, I was also considering scorpion but after reading of complete failure, incl bec I'm waiting to see how it turns out, jive protects itself unlike any other so you may get motor cuts but still have control, I've been jiving 4 years 20 plus machines no problems
Servos bls 451 best bang for buck, recently my tdr crashed due to sat failure, although all the metal rods broke in half on impact the servo gears were as smooth as ever, so they gained my respect!
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I had looked at the BLS255HV, but the BLS451's are almost as good looking at the specs, and they're cheaper. I've also looked at the BLS256HV for the tail. Any suggestions there?

I like the Jive but have a hard time justifying spending the cost. The ESC would cost half as much as as my high quality Heli. But I also don't want the risk of it failing (Scorpion) or going up in flames (Castle Creations). Has anybody used the new CC ESC's since the recalls? And have they worked well? And is the Jive really worth the price? Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The jive pays for itself in the sense that it protects itself as well as your hQ machine,
Then it also as the best bec and governor available
They do rip you guys off in the US with prices though, dunno if you import from Flad Uk if you can save some.
But look at it this way it's still cheap compared to what we pay for good quality 65c lipos which has a limited lifetime, it's all about getting your head around it.
Definately worth it
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yes. I was reading an ad from a hobby shop in Germany advertising the X50E combos and the 'combo' part was Kontronic motor and ESC included with the kit. It was about 1500 USD for an X50E with all digital servos, I believe they were Ace's, a GT5 FBL unit, 600mm TT blades and Kontronic ESC and motor. That's not too bad on my opinion. I was so close to picking up the phone after a day of German review..
However my new E720 arrived and do I LOVE this thing.
It was good to be home alone when it arrived because I could not stop smiling. What a beautifully made helicopter.
I went with one of the new Hackers, the A50-14L "Turnado" ( Man do I hate spelling it like that! ) which is as equally beautiful as the heli is, undecided on the ESC, a Skookum FBL gyro, and Hitec Coreless HS-7966's with Karbonite gears.
I've had nothing but great luck with Hitecs in many high stress airplane models too,as in very high speed EDF jets which show in a hurry not only torque and speed but centering strengths...or weakness .
.07 speed, over 100 torque are plenty good enough for this graying flyer, and while inexpensive they will stack up against a lot of servos that cost twice-plus what they do.
You Kontronic people drive me nuts. I feel as if I'm being sucked in.Sigh.
Can't wait . Doug
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Has anybody used the new CC ESC's since the recalls? And have they worked well?
Lots of people have, I have, and people I know and fly with have.
Hey, I love expensive, beautifully made electronic gear, heck any kind of gear fitting those descriptors. I'm be trying some Kontronic gear sometime soon myself.
However : Don't get caught up in the hysteria you see on internet boards, etc.
Castle doesn't make good ESC's. They make outstanding ESC's, and for the money their performance is even more amazing.
Yes, they had a problem with a couple models, same problem though, and they stepped up in a big way for their customers. That problem has long since been eliminated and now things are as usual, the Castle ESC you install is as dependable as a stone in your driveway and that's about the maintenance they require,too.
They offer equally outstanding customer support. You can call them and get a real live person if you need help. Also, their directions are outstanding in and of themselves.
Just know that if someone tells you to avoid Castle products that you are talking to an idiot. Doug
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I will definitely have to look into Hitec servos. I recently added up what it will cost to finish my e720 with the Jive ESC and was shocked . I'm still undecided on the ESC, but I figure I'll be purchasing servos next (once my G-T5 finally gets here). Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're welcome. The Hitec 7966HB's I'm using will have three on the swash plate and the same model servo on the tail. And why not ? Compare what it'll do against some of the avant garde'.
And it holds up very,very well. Hitec also has English speaking US citizens who will answer their phones and help you when you need it.
I am very much a "get what you pay for" buyer,and am an advocate of sticking with established brands,
But here's the rub. The fact is that much of what we buy we buy to entertain ourselves and for our own satisfaction..NOT because if we don't buy say 4 Futaba BLS servos our heli won't handle all that great, or "the discerning flier will always buy Kontronic gear". Understand I lLOVE that expensive stuff , but facts are facts.
The fact iis to me that if I could be transported back in time far enough to compete in the last F3C National or FAI competition that was held before there was such a thing as a digital servo and the helis were all 3 pounds heavier I would, even with my bitchin' NEX Vibe 50 or this lovely E720, finish...last. The same place I'd finish if the year was 2012 .
So really, with th exception of FBL helis that really need digitals to operate, 4 high quality/high speed analog servos would make any of us who rate ourselves as begineers or early on intermediates perfectly happy. And we probably couuldn't tell the difference.
Same withh that ESC. Castles are excellent ESC's, They've won a zillion competitions and are even often chosen by non-sponsored pros.
And Kontronic ESC's, LOVELY as they are, and yup I'll own one sometime...they have a service department. Because, like every other brand, need one. Doug
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default G4 Servos

I'm running Futaba 255HV's and a 256HV on the tail. Some gents from Austrailia are running Savox servos and are happy. Whatever you do, don't go cheap on a GREAT heli!!!!
f2000ez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in