Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cubify invent looks similar to solid works. I have not used it yet, but I plan on giving it a try. I believe they have a free trail version, then its like $50.
Right now I'm just playing with sketch up and draft sight. I just got a 3D printer so I'm kinda just feeling things out right now.
wacojoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cubify Design looks a lot like Alibre or Geomagic Design. For $199 I don't see where you can go wrong for hobby use. It works very similarly to SW in operation.
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm looking for something cheap just to learn do some simple 2-d stuff. Does CAD always mean the drawing can be used to machine a part ?
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrultralite View Post
I'm looking for something cheap just to learn do some simple 2-d stuff. Does CAD always mean the drawing can be used to machine a part ?
CAD is simply "Computer Aided Drafting" which means you can draw parts etc... once it is drawn, the drawing file (.DWG file in AutoCAD and many other programs) must be converted to a file usable by the machine (CNC router, CNC mill or 3-D printer; "CNC" means "Computerized Numerical Control). There are many software packages that can be used for controlling CNC machines, but at the end of the day they are the "user interface" (UI) to output G-codes to the CNC. 3-D printers generally use .STL files which, like CNC files require some program or "UI" to manage the file for output to the 3d Printer.
The UI's for CNC or 3D printing are simply taking the static CAD drawing and giving the capability to tell the output device what to do with it... for instance in CNC devices, where to start cutting, how fast to cut etc.. For instance take a circle drawn in cad... the CNC device needs to know do you want to cut on the inside of the circle, outside the circle or center on the path of the circle. If the material being cut is steel vs plastic for instance, the speed that the CNC device moves along the path will need to be different as the cutting tool will not move through steel at the same speed as plastic... this is all specified in the G-Code.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

bad , thank you for explaining that.

i installed a free one called librecad [it won't draw curves i think] , it [ they] seems way to complex for what would be a simple task with photoshop. Im guessing this is done to create a 'barrier to entry' in order to protect a profession.
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started on sketchup, now I'm using Creo, and in a few weeks I'll get solidworks and try that out.
heli_crasher1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Freecad.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverporter100 View Post
I will be using bobcad, solid works and mastercam in our school, if you are not a business or have hit lotto, bobcad (ask for Nate) if money is not the obstacle solidworks and mastercam. You could design the shuttle or f 22 with it. Good luck.

Big O
Big O because your still in school you have a lot to learn yet. I will garuntee you have bobcad in your school because it is cheap and they probably have a deal worked out with a company that sells it. In the real world, you might find 10 percent of any good company uses bobcad.

And if you ever design an airplane with SW. Be sure to let us know. I will make sure I will never fly on it.

Again like stated previously, Catia and Siemens NX are by far the ones who drive the Solid modeling market. I have worked for Boeing and used Catia for while. The company I am at now has trained me to use NX. Huge difference in the quality of product from these two softwares compared to SW.

But to the original poster. Just remember you get what you pay for. With that being said, for just hobby quality stuff you do not need the super high end stuff.

Trex 550 DFC Stretched. Neu1907/1H, CC 100ice, AR7200bx, Align servos.
kc8qpu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu View Post

Again like stated previously, Catia and Siemens NX are by far the ones who drive the Solid modeling market. I have worked for Boeing and used Catia for while. The company I am at now has trained me to use NX. Huge difference in the quality of product from these two softwares compared to SW.

But to the original poster. Just remember you get what you pay for. With that being said, for just hobby quality stuff you do not need the super high end stuff.
That's an interesting comment that I'm not sure is rooted in the facts. From an install user base standpoint Solidworks is the market leader. Sheer number of seats confirms that. The fact that Boeing uses Catia is interesting in terms of the fact that Catia released a couple of versions that weren't even compatible from version to version. Boeing doesn't drive the CAD market. Siemens weren't even players until they bought Unigraphics. One thing about the CAD market is that it is constantly changing. History based systems that require you to draw, draw, constrain, constrain just to create a part will be around for a while but things are changing.
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

AutoCad Fusion 360...
VERY intuitive... very powerful! outputs .stl files
Student version; $free!!!

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fus..._LkaAqcX8P8HAQ
Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh so I guess I'd update you guys, I used inventor for a while and now I'm going to college for aerospace. The college uses Catia which is a part of solid works so that's what I'll have to learn soon enough.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerjay View Post
Oh so I guess I'd update you guys, I used inventor for a while and now I'm going to college for aerospace. The college uses Catia which is a part of solid works so that's what I'll have to learn soon enough.
Cool Soccerjay... Where are you going to school? I went to Middle Tennessee State years ago for aerospace... in those days it was velum paper and #2 pencils!! lol
I took Autocad at a local community college a couple years ago... by current standards it is like DOS compared to windows!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog View Post
Cool Soccerjay... Where are you going to school? I went to Middle Tennessee State years ago for aerospace... in those days it was velum paper and #2 pencils!! lol

I took Autocad at a local community college a couple years ago... by current standards it is like DOS compared to windows!

Hahaha did a little of that "old-school" in one of my engineering classes

I'm going to embry-riddle in Daytona beach, will be a tough program so I've heard, coupled with ROTC, my time will be cut but they have a nice rc club and I really want to play at least intramural soccer but depends on time. My roommate also flys helis so I'm super excited and we are both AE majors. We're planning on going to TORCHS every few weekends as it's an hour away in Orlando, overall I'm super excited for college and it's gonna be a ton of fun, and work. Haha
Old 05-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Ask around at Embry-Riddle if they remember getting SPANKED by the MTSU Flying Raider flight team back in the 80's!!! lol I was Captain of the flight team - took first in the region that year (82??) then went on to nationals at the Air Force Academy - took 3rd (embarrassed the AirForce Academy boys!). Have fun... they have a great program.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ask around at Embry-Riddle if they remember getting SPANKED by the MTSU Flying Raider flight team back in the 80's!!! lol I was Captain of the flight team - took first in the region that year (82??) then went on to nationals at the Air Force Academy - took 3rd (embarrassed the AirForce Academy boys!). Have fun... they have a great program.
Haha sounds awesome! So you're a pilot? I was considering flight training but it's so darn expensive....
Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerjay View Post
Haha sounds awesome! So you're a pilot? I was considering flight training but it's so darn expensive....
I got my private the day we left for regional flight comp (think it was 82). I did the aerospace maintenance management program with pre-engineering. Got my A&P as part of the deal...
I used to fly quite a bit, but it is an expensive hobby!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I got my private the day we left for regional flight comp (think it was 82). I did the aerospace maintenance management program with pre-engineering. Got my A&P as part of the deal...

I used to fly quite a bit, but it is an expensive hobby!

Touché! If I'm lucky I'll get the scholarship I applied for quite some time ago, I hear from them sometime this month and it would pay for a full privates and that would be sweet!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

that WOULD be sweet! good luck!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
that WOULD be sweet! good luck!

Haha little late for luck but hoping for the best, worst part is only the winner gets notified
Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recommend freecad parametric modeling for rc cad and other cad.
Its free and it works.
Lots of professional people in industry use it for their cad modeling.
jangee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in