Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How warm do your lipos get?

Hi all, I recently finished my build on my new trex 500l and am loving how it flies compared to my 450! Anyways, I have three brand new turnigy blue 6s 3300 30c packs I am using. I'm a very tame flyer (general fff, flips, rolls, and inverted hover), and am only getting 4:30 flight time with the batteries coming down fairly warm with a small amount of puffing that subsides after it cools. Is this normal for a brand new battery to swell a little, or did I buy batteries with too small a c rating?
Cal
canadianR6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That C rating is OK, I think something else is wrong. There were some build complaints on the 500L where the motor pinion/main gear mesh was too tight. Check yours. Also you did not indicate what sort of headspeed you are running?
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I checked the gear mesh, and it seemed fine. I have a little bit of play between the pinion and main gear when I turn the motor back and forth by hand. As for the head speed, I used the head speed calculator and came up with 3250 rotor rpm. I am also running 100-95-90-95-100 throttle curve on idle up 2.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lol. Nothing tame about that head speed or throttle curve. Actually I think all is OK then in that case.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha, ok. I read that the 500 liked head speed forstability, so that's what I went with. Thank you for the help.
Cal
Old 07-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally prefer 40C and up for batteries. I have some 25C Nanotechs that are noticeably warmer and more puffed than my higher rated packs.

I think that most people flying the Pro are flying around 3000-3100 rpm headspeed, so yours is definitely running a little hot!
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll have to grab some higher C batteriers the next time I'm in the mood to drop some dough. As for the high headspeed, that is the number I came up with after plugging in the specs for the main gear/pinion, and stock motor. The bird is bone stock, everything installed is what came with the kit. Should I lower the head speed by dialing down my throttle curve a bit?
Cal
Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianR6 View Post
I'll have to grab some higher C batteriers the next time I'm in the mood to drop some dough. As for the high headspeed, that is the number I came up with after plugging in the specs for the main gear/pinion, and stock motor. The bird is bone stock, everything installed is what came with the kit. Should I lower the head speed by dialing down my throttle curve a bit?
Cal
What is your throttle curve set to now? Depending on where it is, you may want to go down a tooth in your pinion. Ideally, you want to be around 90% throttle.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Typically I'm running in idle up 2 which I have set at 100-95-90-95-100 TC
Old 07-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianR6 View Post
Typically I'm running in idle up 2 which I have set at 100-95-90-95-100 TC
You're running Rpms I'm running on my 450 and flies ballistic lol. Your 500 is probably a dot with the click of the collective. I would definitely lower your TC. Don't go below 85% though or the esc will really start to run hot. For reference I run 2750-2800rpm governed on mine and it's more than enough power. Beyond that and I feel like I'm just wasting energy, tasking my batteries, and shortening my flight times for no reason.

The DFCs don't like really low headspeeds due to their tail ratio but you should be fine anywhere above 2700rpm. Try dialing it back a bit and see if the batteries come down in better shape. If you prefer high headspeeds is highly suggest some 45c batteries from pulse, gens ace, glacier, etc. one of the major brands.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good advice DCflyer, thank you. I'm gonna give a flat 90 tc a shot and see how she feels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in