Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 02:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, I watched it today with blades on. Almost as soon as I flip throttle hold off the motor starts to spin. Almost instantaneous. But it's taking a full 3.5 seconds to reach full speed. I have the HW governor restart acceleration set at 1.5 seconds. So why is it taking 3.5 to reach full speed. Anyone have a clue why it's taking so long. Really nerve racking when I want to abort an auto and it take this long to get head speed back up.
jazsop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having this same problem on a new HW 120v4. Anyone have some suggestions.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also am having a similar issue, HW 160a v4. internal Gov Store. I am getting the fast restart, but takes a few seconds b4 it seems to get to the actual bailout restart time. I have restart set to 3 secs, bailout timer set to 60seconds, T-Hold set to -25%(futaba) and T-CUT for zero throttle, to restart the slow spool when needed.

The Bailout function is working as it should on the bench without blades, but similar to op issue with blades on. Instead of just a delay, mine seems to start making electrical motor noise as soon as I flip out of hold,.. then makes noise for like 3-6 seconds as if it doesn't have enough power to turn blades, then starts up quick(3secs) as it should have in the first place. This noise and delay does not happen on normal slow spool. It will start imediately and spools up smooth and consistant. I have check gear mesh is correct, nothing is binding. I was thinking that maybe it could be too low of a startup power, causing this?I have that set to the default 3. Now I've read that others have same issue, it's sounding kind of like a FW issue?

470LT, G420, G570, Chronos, T-Rex 600N and 700N
vultage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran it up on the ground zero pitch and hit throttle hold. Counted 5 seconds and canceled throttle hold. It took 7 seconds at zero pitch to reach full head speed. I have auto restart set to 1 second. Any ideas. This on the HW 120 v4. My HW160 v4 does the same thing but only takes about 4.5 seconds to reach full speed. It doesn't matter if I'm in normal or IU1 when I do this test.

I mean I have "restart acceleration time" set to 1 second.

Last edited by jazsop; 08-11-2017 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Edit wording.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazsop View Post
I ran it up on the ground zero pitch and hit throttle hold. Counted 5 seconds and canceled throttle hold. It took 7 seconds at zero pitch to reach full head speed. I have auto restart set to 1 second. Any ideas. This on the HW 120 v4. My HW160 v4 does the same thing but only takes about 4.5 seconds to reach full speed. It doesn't matter if I'm in normal or IU1 when I do this test.
Its the "restart acceleration time" that determines how fast the RPM gets back to full speed, not auto restart.

The auto restart time only determines how long you have to flip back out of TH after activating it before the slow spool goes back into effect, so you have no bailout function at all if you waited 5 seconds to cancel out of TH with a only a 1 second auto restart time active.

Set the AR to 5 or more seconds if that is what you want with a low RAT value and test properly within the allotted AR timeframe and see what happens, keeping in mind the auto bailout function settings in the HW only work when the ESC is in Gov store or Elf mode per the manual.

Anyone using heli linear or airplane mode with a FBL unit governor would need to rely on the FBL unit to provide the bailout functionality and settings (if it has them) as there is no such thing in the HW itself using those modes. If its not working properly with a FBL gov, then the issue is with the FBL unit settings, not the HW!

Using the Brain FBL gov as an example, these settings are then controlled by the Brain

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	718811  

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-11-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having the same thing happen,.. but my Bailout time is set to 60 secs,.. and 3 second restart time,. testing on the ground,.. even while blades are still spinning,. cancelling t-hold, it takes around 7-10 secs, maybe more, to actually get back to headspeed. I have tried upping the STARTUP POWER setting, but have not been able to test yet. My 100a v3 on smaller heli(420) seems to have no issues,.. but the 700, def has a long hesitation from cancelling, until restart happens!!! This is not slow spoolup, either,.. once esc starts to work,. it takes about 3 secs, as it is set to,.. but the hesitation is as if it doesn't have enough power to start back up. The normal slow spoolup does not hesitate, but is quick to start, then spools slowly up to speed!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vultage View Post
I'm having the same thing happen,.. but my Bailout time is set to 60 secs,.. and 3 second restart time,. testing on the ground,.. even while blades are still spinning,. cancelling t-hold, it takes around 7-10 secs, maybe more, to actually get back to headspeed. I have tried upping the STARTUP POWER setting, but have not been able to test yet. My 100a v3 on smaller heli(420) seems to have no issues,.. but the 700, def has a long hesitation from cancelling, until restart happens!!! This is not slow spoolup, either,.. once esc starts to work,. it takes about 3 secs, as it is set to,.. but the hesitation is as if it doesn't have enough power to start back up. The normal slow spoolup does not hesitate, but is quick to start, then spools slowly up to speed!
Is your HW using either of the Governor modes, or are you using the FBL gov along with heli linear or airplane mode?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	718805  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using the HW Gov Store mode with this machine. I had used the Ikon gov with my HW60a v4 and also HW100a V3,.. didn't have any problems with bailout using FBL.

I did just have another thought while reading another post. I do have the yellow wire from HW plugged into the Ikon, so that the Ikon could log the HS, even tho, I am not using the Ikon gov. Now, I have telemetry working, so I can get the same reading from the ESC RPM log in the Ikon, and I don't NEED to have the gov wire plugged in. I don't know why this would change anything, but I guess is worth a shot to unplug it, and see if anything changes.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am using the HW Gov Store mode with this machine. I had used the Ikon gov with my HW60a v4 and also HW100a V3,.. didn't have any problems with bailout using FBL.
That is odd then as all the HW rules should apply
Old 08-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I did just have another thought while reading another post. I do have the yellow wire from HW plugged into the Ikon, so that the Ikon could log the HS, even tho, I am not using the Ikon gov. Now, I have telemetry working, so I can get the same reading from the ESC RPM log in the Ikon, and I don't NEED to have the gov wire plugged in. I don't know why this would change anything, but I guess is worth a shot to unplug it, and see if anything changes.
The RPM lead must remain plugged into the Ikon gov port in order for you to log RPM or get the RPM telemetry whether you use the Ikon gov or not. The RPM data for the logs or telemetry is handled by the Brain, not the HW. The new telemetry features just allows the Brain to send that RPM data back to the TX, but its always available in the logs telemetry or not as long as you have lead plugged into the gov port.

The only thing that changes anything is if you have the use Gov box checked in the Ikon software which you shouldn't because of using the HW gov instead. Unplug the lead and all of the RPM data will stop

Im setup exactly the same......I use the HW Elf mode gov, but still have the HW lead connected in the Ikon in order to obtain the RPM info

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-11-2017 at 04:14 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was under the assumption that the HW Does send RPM data out the Signal port Right along with the other ESC telem data that the Ikon logs!?!?!

They are 2 complete diff log settings,.. as well they read about 60 RPM difference, between the Ikon RPM log and the ESC RPM log. It is under the pulldown with all of the ESC log options,. and was never there b4 I turned on the Telem feature.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was under the assumption that the HW Does send RPM data out the Signal port Right along with the other ESC telem data that the Ikon logs!?!?!

They are 2 complete diff log settings,.. as well they read about 60 RPM difference, between the Ikon RPM log and the ESC RPM log. It is under the pulldown with all of the ESC log options,. and was never there b4 I turned on the Telem feature.
Hmmm.....I couldn't get any RPM data at all until I plugged my RPM lead in. Maybe something has changed that Im unaware of.

Where do you see two different RPM log values? I have "main rotor RPM 0-3000" as one of my log choices on the diagnostic tab. When using no telemetry and just sats, the RPM data is available live in the Brain software while connected up or in the logs. This never changed at all when I started using the telemetry with the 4649T. The only difference is I can now get the RPM info at my TX live. The exact same RPM line data is still in the logs.

Its always been my understanding that RPM data is all calculated by the Brain using the RPM lead and the gov port on the Brain. This is why Spektrum users such as myself do not place my gearing info and pole count settings into the telemetry on the TX as this is all handled by the info placed into the Brain software instead otherwise the data on the TX will be wrong

Easy enough to unplug it and see what happens, although I dont see how doing this will have anything to do with your auto bailout issue on the HW as one doesnt have anything to do with the other since you dont have the Brain governor function active.

Last edited by Xrayted; 08-11-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol,.. right?!?! That is what I was saying,.. hehe,.. I will def unplug that wire next flight, fthoi,.. and let you know, just so we know for sure.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Lol,.. right?!?! That is what I was saying,.. hehe,.. I will def unplug that wire next flight, fthoi,.. and let you know, just so we know for sure.
Good luck and it will be interesting to see what your results are
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's the restart acceleration time that I have set to 1 sec. I worded that wrong. I apologize.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Me and Vultage are having the exact same problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in