Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Walkera genius or blade mpcx

Hi everyone. I have been all about nitro monster trucks the last couple years and now I want to get into helicopters. Ive done lots of research and dexided to go with the genius and devo 8 or the mpc and the dx6i. I cant make up my mind. I'm leaning towards the genius and devo. Im lookimg for opinions from people that have both. If you had to choose and go one route or the other which would it be.
EC507 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Before you get that far, have you ever flown a heli? if not, you need to progress to that point. These are full 3d capable little machines and aren't meant for a beginner. You should start with a good coaxial like the lama or mcx series and then move up to a cb100, solo pro or msr and THEN the genius or mcpx.
pmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
Before you get that far, have you ever flown a heli? if not, you need to progress to that point. These are full 3d capable little machines and aren't meant for a beginner. You should start with a good coaxial like the lama or mcx series and then move up to a cb100, solo pro or msr and THEN the genius or mcpx.
I've flew coaxial and I've messed around with a msr a little. I know it will be a challenge but I really want this type of helicopter. I plan on going really slow and just learn basic maneuvers one at a time. Im actually looking foward to the challenge. I like the genius but hate how limited the devo 8 is with other models if I ever want to buy other helicopters.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC507 View Post
I like the genius but hate how limited the devo 8 is with other models if I ever want to buy other helicopters.
Why do you think the Devo 8 is limited if you want to buy other models? You can program many other helis/planes (up to 12 models) on to the same TX (provided you use Walkera RX's designed for the Devo series TX's)
Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can get the devo8 OR the trusty 2801pro thing is...Walkera will prob phase it out after awhile. The Genius is a great little heli, i recommend the brushless from wow hobbies.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by john aeras View Post
Why do you think the Devo 8 is limited if you want to buy other models? You can program many other helis/planes (up to 12 models) on to the same TX (provided you use Walkera RX's designed for the Devo series TX's)
So If I eventually decide to get a blade mcp the devo rx will be compatible with it?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by john aeras View Post
So if I eventually decide to get a blade mcp the devo fx will be compatible with it ?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

nope, walkera has it's own bnf (bind and fly) and so does spektrum you have to decide on if you want to fly mostly Walkera or Spektrum or both (have two transmitters)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So if I eventually decide to get a blade mcp the devo fx will be compatible with it ?
No sorry with all these small sub micro helicopters there is no swapping of Rx between E-Flight and walkera, in many ways the heli design is built round a receiver many even have the servo's built in to the Rx giving a 5 in one board.

Just curious why do you think the Devo 8 is limited walkera do 67 different flavors of helicopter E-Flight have half a dozen slowly walkera will have devo versions of Rx for far more models than E-Flight has.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
No sorry with all these small sub micro helicopters there is no swapping of Rx between E-Flight and walkera, in many ways the heli design is built round a receiver many even have the servo's built in to the Rx giving a 5 in one board.

Just curious why do you think the Devo 8 is limited walkera do 67 different flavors of helicopter E-Flight have half a dozen slowly walkera will have devo versions of Rx for far more models than E-Flight has.

Regards David
I just meant that I was limited to walkera brand. I didn't realize walkera had so many options. I assumed. Eflight had all the better helicopter and id be missing out
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I get my Genius back from WoW and it's as good as promised, I'll probably be selling my MCPX.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
If I get my Genius back from WoW and it's as good as promised, I'll probably be selling my MCPX.
The mcpx is a good heli. But I like my Genius CP more one BL & one stock like both of them. I trend to go for more power. You will love the BL version but better get stronger batteries. I will upgrade the stock one once Wow comes out a stronger motor but for now I'm happy just like they are.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
The mcpx is a good heli. But I like my Genius CP more one BL & one stock like both of them. I trend to go for more power. You will love the BL version but better get stronger batteries. I will upgrade the stock one once Wow comes out a stronger motor but for now I'm happy just like they are.
Since this will be my first helicopter should I even consider the BL version? Would I be better off upgrading in the future or just getting it over with.. Im pretty sure im going with the genius. Do you guys think the devo 8 combo is the way to go?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Since this will be my first helicopter should I even consider the BL version? Would I be better off upgrading in the future or just getting it over with.. Im pretty sure im going with the genius. Do you guys think the devo 8 combo is the way to go?
I already have a 2801 pro an more than happy with it. If I didn't have it I would get the Devo8. I would get the BL version cause you can tone it down in 3axis. I was just saying how I hit the light pole with the stock one an it bounced off went to pickup turned over with no damage an flew off plus this guy was watching when all this happened so he was amazed that would still fly. I just saw a video of a new canopy that someone stumped on flat pick it up put back on the heli with no damage. This is the new canopy for Genius CP on rcgroups micro heli thread we have bigger group their for Genius CP. I'm both groups see you soon. I just was at Helifreak Fun fly Saturday in San Diego,Ca it was awesome.
vronny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
I already have a 2801 pro an more than happy with it. If I didn't have it I would get the Devo8. I would get the BL version cause you can tone it down in 3axis. I was just saying how I hit the light pole with the stock one an it bounced off went to pickup turned over with no damage an flew off plus this guy was watching when all this happened so he was amazed that would still fly. I just saw a video of a new canopy that someone stumped on flat pick it up put back on the heli with no damage. This is the new canopy for Genius CP on rcgroups micro heli thread we have bigger group their for Genius CP. I'm both groups see you soon. I just was at Helifreak Fun fly Saturday in San Diego,Ca it was awesome.
So what improvements will I notice with the brushless version. Are there any other upgrades I need to do if I get the bl version.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

EC, the Genius CP is not a beginner's heli. Neither is the mCP X for that matter, but I think that it is better suited to a beginner than the Genius. I can't imagine how your research would lead you to believe that the Genius is the better choice. Anecdotal reports from a relatively small number of Genius owners, most of whom have prior experience flying CP helis, posting regularly on RC Groups (and a few on Helifreak)?

Many, just starting out, would choose a coaxial or a fixed pitch heli. Those who choose to start with a CP heli, might recommend something larger and more stable like a Blade 400. If you have never flown any RC helicopter before, then the Genius will be a squirrely little monster. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Remember which forum you are asking this question on. If you asked the same question on the mCP X forum, what do you think the answer would be?

Parts for an mCP X will likely be available in local hobby shops. Parts for the Genius will not. The Genius is not indestructible. You will crash a lot if you are just starting, and even the Genius will gradually desintegrate.

If you get an mCP X and a DX6i, then you will be able to use this transmitter with bigger and better helis in the future. There will be many more possibilities with the spektrum rig. If you buy a T-rex kit, all you do is pop in a Spektrum receiver and you are ready to go. Walkera transmitters will only work with Walkera helicopters and receivers. Sure you could mail order a Walkera receiver for your new $800 T-rex, but would anyone in his right mind do that?

If you are determined to cut your teeth on a micro CP, then get the mCP X and a Spektrum transmitter. I have both the mCP X and the Genius.
all-thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

So you think the mcp is easier to fly then the genius. Most people told me I couldn't go wrong with either and a few said they perfered genius. I just figured with the genius combo I can end up with a nicer radio for less money and still have access to some nice helicopters still. What are your main reasons I should go with the mcp besides the walkera tech. Is it just because you think id be better off with spectrum. Thanks for your advice everyone.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

cmon all-thumbs what's with the Genius hate? you KNOW he could go with about 40% D/R and turn the throttle% down and add some -expo and the Genius turns into a docile little heli. Very easy to fly when it's like that and uber stable.

Did you even play around with the setups on yours? please don't spread mis-information.

To me, the Genius is better out of the box because the tail holds better. So when someone eventually wants to try some 3d, the tail won't go all willy nilly and this is without a single upgrade.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have t rex 250 se and t rex 550. And on both of them I installed walkera's receivers, and so far no problems. I have got one more bird, raptor thunder tiger 30 v2 and the receiver installed is JR. So if I compare there is no difference - no problem, but I might be lucky one.
Or you could go and buy Toyota - but they recalled their cars (the number is over one million) - so that's about modern technology.
And by the way - walkera is made is in China, spektrum is made in China, and mpcx is made in China.
I would choose genius if I were you. I have one genius, one v100v3bl, 4g6s and I am more than satisfied.
And I have 4 tx - JR 9303 - which is great radio, trusty 2801pro (walkera) - I see no difference flying - maybe there is one major difference between these two, jr is heavier, much more heavier. The third one is 2603 - I am using it as my sim "joypad" and the last one is DEVO 8 which came with Genius CP (stock).
Cheers! Choose the one you like! And enjoy flying. But invest some money in simulator, and T rex 100 or Nine ealgles Solo pro v2 (both of them are 4 channel helicopters and good for learning orientation)
emil_dimitrijevic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-thumbs View Post

If you get an mCP X and a DX6i, then you will be able to use this transmitter with bigger and better helis in the future. There will be many more possibilities with the spektrum rig. If you buy a T-rex kit, all you do is pop in a Spektrum receiver and you are ready to go. Walkera transmitters will only work with Walkera helicopters and receivers. Sure you could mail order a Walkera receiver for your new $800 T-rex, but would anyone in his right mind do that?
Now that was a load of you will find a fair few putting walkera RX's in 250, 450 and above, can you just refresh my memory which company was it producing Rx's that regularly browned out and were banned at many public events a few years back I don't seem to recall complaints of brownouts and loosing control on walkera Rx's.

Both models both Tx's are a good choice, the lad has been warned by me and others that he is taking on a difficult challenge, but it is his choice not ours, now it us up to us to give him the best advice, please leave your politics and bias out of it.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in