Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Futaba Radios

2.4G Futaba Radios Futaba 2.4G Radio Help and support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba radios

Hi Guys

dx7 owner here, and i'm looking for a new radio,and i've been looking at Jr and Futaba radios. reason i've been looking at Jr is to keep my sats.i think it's a easy and clean setup. but seems that Jr can't run dsm2 sats only. so i'm looking at Futaba now.

i'm a guy who likes easy programming. and i've heard people say that the Futaba is not that easy to program. must admit that all the features in the Futaba scares me alitle i've been looking at the T8FGsuper is that easy and simple to program??

and my last ? i've heard that Futaba will come with new radios with telemetry this year. any truth in this? should i wait for the new radios??
Yoda DK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Programming: Maybe not as easy and simple as JR ( I flew for JR for 7 years before I 'felt the difference' and switched to Futaba), but once you get some understanding of how the programming works, Futaba is FAR more flexible with what you can do than JR.
Telemetry: Yes, it's out there now in the 18MZ with FASSTest technology. Will it be available as a software upgrade for a few other Futaba radios? Only the Futaba engineers know.

Opinion: As a former 14MZ owner (sold to fund my 18MZ which isn't here yet) and an 8FG owner (now an 8FG super with FREE software upgrade), I would recommend an 8FG Super. All the radio you will ever need/want, unless you want to spend the big bucks on a 14MZ or 18MZ.

Oh, and you don't need any extra satellites to mount to provide sigan. One Futaba FASST RX with DAD (Dual Antenna Diversity) is all you need.

Last edited by kcordell; 02-20-2012 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: left something out
kcordell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcordell: thanks alot for info i'm sure now. i want the 8FGsuper. it sounds right both programming and price. i'll figure out how to program it. one of my friends have one to. so he can help me if my tiny brain.gets a melt down
Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

bare with me.. i have more?? what bats do you use wenn buying bigger bat for the 8fg. and what neck strap balancer?

i use a Hyperion life lipo 3s2100mah in my spektrum,and it works great lot of flying time on it. neck strap balancer from G-force makes my spektrum balance perfect!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

I have used a 2S lipo in my 8FG for about 2 years now. Thunder Power 2S 2600 Pro-Lite.

I don't use a neckstrap balancer, but then again I don't use a neckstrap
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
I have used a 2S lipo in my 8FG for about 2 years now. Thunder Power 2S 2600 Pro-Lite.

I don't use a neckstrap balancer, but then again I don't use a neckstrap
okay thanks Chris. can i run 3s life in it. or does it have to be a 2s lipo??

no neckstrap? i would crash with in the first min lol. you must fly with thumps then
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda DK View Post
okay thanks Chris. can i run 3s life in it. or does it have to be a 2s lipo??

no neckstrap? i would crash with in the first min lol. you must fly with thumps then
3S LiFe is about 10V fully charged, that's too much.

I pinch, the radio is so light that I stopped wearing a neckstrap about 2 years ago...
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just thought I would throw my $.12 in there.... you don't need a neck strap balancer for the 8FG, it is spot on!! I was floored when I first started looking through the manual coming from a DX8 and it didn't take long to realize how easy the 8FG is to program. The features alone are impressive, you can customize just about anything you want with this radio, keeper for life!!
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.Honda HS928K1TA
olemil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks alot for your help guys i just ordered it,and it will be here in about 2 days.can't wait to play with it i'm just trying to figure out what the biggest 2slipo i can fit in it? i've been looking at Hyperion vx 35c 2200mah and 2600mah 2s lipo

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/G3-Specs-EN.pdf
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many have put 2S lipos in their 8FG's. IF you follow instructions on how to use the NiMh battery in the 8FG, you will not have any issues with battery life, unless you are leaving your TX on for 8 hrs or so. I consistently get better than 4 hrs on mine, and just go ahead and put it back on charge if I am heading out to fly again the next day.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on the 8fg. I just upgraded from a 9chp. Been flying Futaba for almost 10 years now. Futaba is a little more difficult to figure out in the beginning, but that is mainly because you have so many different options and functions available to you. Plus you don't have to deal with all that annoying satellite receiver crap if you upgrade to 8FG.
conefree is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't have to deal with satellites on ANY Futaba 2.4 systems (or Hitec or Airtronics either!!).
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

actully i think satellites is the best thing about spektrum. 2 or 1 sat in your heli. depends on size. just plug in to the v-bar,and your good to go. it doesn't get much easy'er than that

i would like a 2s lipo in my 8fg. easy and fast wenn you have to charge it. and i want something that can last the hole day. if i have one of my good days.i'll be flying about 25-35 packs. so the so the bat should last all day
Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just like the airplane guy said at Joe Nall a couple years ago "good thing I had 4 satellites in my 40% Carden, only 2 were working when I landed".
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
actully i think satellites is the best thing about spektrum. 2 or 1 sat in your heli. depends on size. just plug in to the v-bar,and your good to go. it doesn't get much easy'er than that
I think the SBus receiver is wayyyyy easier. One simple servo cable from the VBar to the SBus receiver and you have a bulletproof, full range connection. No more messing with the long and fragile satellite cables. You will love the 8FG!
gravydrive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went from a Spektrum DX8 to an 8FG super. You will not regret it, the radio is superb value for money.
The only downside to it (well. it's not really an actual downside, more like a fact to note) is that it has a bit of a learning curve. You actually have to read the manual
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys
i got my radio yester day. but didn't have the time play with it. but today i'll visit a good friend of mine. who has one to. and we will set up my protos in radio. can't wait to play with.
it does balance perfekt wenn wearing a neckstrap! and saw the bat is 2800 mah bat so that should last a litle wenn flying

mss you got me there. i hate looking in the manual
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
and saw the bat is 2800 mah bat so that should last a litle wenn flying
2800? Mine came with only a 1700mAh NiMH battery.
Trailryder42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
2800? Mine came with only a 1700mAh NiMH battery.
i think i was lucky. they normal come with a 1700mah bat. a friend of mine has one to with a 1700mah. mine is a lithium-lion 2s 7,4v 2800mah bat
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

The European 8FG's come with the LiPo instead of the NiMH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in