Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mix Set Up

I'm looking to have two TH for safety reasons. I'm running the Vbar NEO from a DX9. The NEO wants to see -100 on the gov channel for TH, which I already have set up. How do I create a mix to another switch to duplicate that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just use 'Throttle cut', I set the value ridiculously low so there's definitely no chance of a signal passing.

Steve
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

TC on the DX9 is "hard wired" to the throttle channel. The NEO uses values from the gov channel. I believe it uses the throttle channel to change FM

Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsteele View Post
I'm looking to have two TH for safety reasons. I'm running the Vbar NEO from a DX9. The NEO wants to see -100 on the gov channel for TH, which I already have set up. How do I create a mix to another switch to duplicate that?

Let me see if I understand this correctly - you want to have a second switch that will also put -100% on the gov channel? Therefore, you'd have two switches that will activate TH, and you'd want both switches to be in a certain position in order to allow the NEO to spool up?
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
Just use 'Throttle cut', I set the value ridiculously low so there's definitely no chance of a signal passing.

Steve
I learned that you don't want to set Throttle Cut below -100%, the same level as the bottom of your throttle stick. If you leave TC at the default value of -130%, and if you accidentally have TC on when you plug in the battery on the heli, then turning off the TC may allow the motor to start spooling up even though your throttle stick is still at the bottom. That's because the ESC will see a change from -130% to -100%, which will look like you moved the throttle stick up. I've seen it happen, so it is possible and can be replicated.

For that reason, I always turn up the value of TC to -100%. The only reason I put it lower than -100% is for a quad that wants a signal below -100% as an indication to shut down the motors per the instruction manual.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
I learned that you don't want to set Throttle Cut below -100%, the same level as the bottom of your throttle stick. If you leave TC at the default value of -130%, and if you accidentally have TC on when you plug in the battery on the heli, then turning off the TC may allow the motor to start spooling up even though your throttle stick is still at the bottom. That's because the ESC will see a change from -130% to -100%, which will look like you moved the throttle stick up. I've seen it happen, so it is possible and can be replicated.

For that reason, I always turn up the value of TC to -100%. The only reason I put it lower than -100% is for a quad that wants a signal below -100% as an indication to shut down the motors per the instruction manual.
That's so highly unlikely that your ESC will be happy seeing those values. On over a dozen machines I've mucked with a throttle cut even at -100 they wouldn't spool up. I think I'd have to look at my radio and experiment or see an example to fully understand what you are saying. All my machines run Castle ESC's and are governed (30,70,100), with TC and TH I can move the stick wherever I want, nothing will happen. Anyway, this doesn't help the OP as he has a Neo, back on topic. Sorry my suggestion won't work for you OP.

Steve
Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Let me see if I understand this correctly - you want to have a second switch that will also put -100% on the gov channel? Therefore, you'd have two switches that will activate TH, and you'd want both switches to be in a certain position in order to allow the NEO to spool up?

Yes, but I only want the switch as a "double redundancy" for TH whiles handling the heli while it's "hot"

Old 07-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
That's so highly unlikely that your ESC will be happy seeing those values. On over a dozen machines I've mucked with a throttle cut even at -100 they wouldn't spool up. I think I'd have to look at my radio and experiment or see an example to fully understand what you are saying. All my machines run Castle ESC's and are governed (30,70,100), with TC and TH I can move the stick wherever I want, nothing will happen. Anyway, this doesn't help the OP as he has a Neo, back on topic. Sorry my suggestion won't work for you OP.

Steve
I'm not using a governor setup. I've had this happen on a stock Blade 450 3D. When TC is set below -100% and I power on the heli with TC on, then turning off TC will start the motor turning. Granted, it's not very fast - just a small amount of movement. It's almost like the ESC is recalibrating itself for the low throttle endpoint every time it's powered up. If TC is off and I power up the heli, then nothing happens - just like it's supposed to behave with the stick down. After I discovered that, I started setting TC to -100% and now everything works fine, regardless of whether TC is on or off when the heli powers up.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsteele View Post
Yes, but I only want the switch as a "double redundancy" for TH whiles handling the heli while it's "hot"

I can envision a mix that will allow another switch to force a value of -100% onto the channel that the governor is watching, but then either switch will activate TH. Is that OK? The transmitter isn't smart enough to coordinate the function of two switches as a redundant safety feature. So either switch will activate TH, and flipping the second switch will have no visible effect. When both switches are set for TH, then you'll have to flip both switches in order to release TH.

Here's what I have in mind:

Mix 1
ON > (channel you're using for this function)
Rate: -100% 0
Offset: -100%
Switch: (switch and position of your liking)

Note that this will actually push the value of the channel down to -150% when the first switch already sets it to -100%. If that's an issue, then more creativity will be required.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mix Set Up

Quote:
I can envision a mix that will allow another switch to force a value of -100% onto the channel that the governor is watching, but then either switch will activate TH. Is that OK? The transmitter isn't smart enough to coordinate the function of two switches as a redundant safety feature. So either switch will activate TH, and flipping the second switch will have no visible effect. When both switches are set for TH, then you'll have to flip both switches in order to release TH.

Here's what I have in mind:

Mix 1
ON > (channel you're using for this function)
Rate: -100% 0
Offset: -100%
Switch: (switch and position of your liking)

Note that this will actually push the value of the channel down to -150% when the first switch already sets it to -100%. If that's an issue, then more creativity will be required.

I want to have to release both TH so that's good. I'll try it out. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to the configuration in the pic to get what you suggested. Now to pull the blades off and test. Then rebind for failsafe. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could actually use two mixes, one to change the current value to zero, and a second to force -100. That way, you will never get that -150 from the combination of two switches.

I know it's possible but can't look for details at the moment
Old 07-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have my attention. It may not even matter though.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mix Set Up

Update: this mix worked just fine. My NEO sees 150% the same as 100%.

Last edited by gtrsteele; 07-30-2016 at 07:36 AM..
gtrsteele is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yay! Glad to hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in