Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive got a blade 400 with the hitec 5000 gyro combo, it holds really well but I'm also unable to get the tail to wag no matter how high i set the gain. I'm also using the largest servo horn on the furtherest hole.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't go any further out on the servo horn either. The furion manual recommends 8mm on the tail servo horn, mine is already at 12mm and with the gain at 100% there is no tail wag!
clever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also at 12 mm, but the helli is locked in really well. Ive set the gain in the tx on 75, i am not going to worrie about getting the tail to wag. If the tail was drifting that would be a different story.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hear you mine is locked in as well but if I punch the collective the tail will sometimes blow out. Every gyro I have ever had you increase the gain until it wags and then you back off a little. The fact that it won't wag even at 100% makes me feel that the gyro is not locking as well as it could hence the blow outs.
clever is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not having any problems with blow outs, but i was just viewing Finless video on the test flight of the beam and he had his actual gain set at about 50 which is 85 in the TX, very high but the Helli seemed locked in. Ive also found with the hitec if its not set up mechanically 100% you will have issues.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #186 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Hey guys,

I recently got the HG5000 combo as well.... going to watch the videos & set it up tonight. I was wondering however - could I use this gyro on bigger sized heli's? say 500 or 550

Also for now I am using a hi-tech optic sport 6, guessing since its hi-tech gyro it should be all sweet?
RaZz0R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 AM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZz0R View Post
Hey guys,

I recently got the HG5000 combo as well.... going to watch the videos & set it up tonight. I was wondering however - could I use this gyro on bigger sized heli's? say 500 or 550

Also for now I am using a hi-tech optic sport 6, guessing since its hi-tech gyro it should be all sweet?
I sent an email to Hitec asking about using the 5000 on a 600-class??? A tech. person wrote back and told me they did not recommend it. Also said Hitec is coming out with a gyro for larger helis. Wonder which gyro will be rebadged with the Hitec name this time???
RMG2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #188 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ah thanks for that

I am watching the videos now but I have run in to a problem with my radio that I have had ever since I got it. I can't work out how to change from "rate" mode to HH mode for the gyro.

In its gyro menu all you get is a percentage to change & apart from different fly modes, you can't assign it to a channel.

Any ideas or help would be unreal

EDIT: Found the answer!
"if you are using a 401 gyro and have it's control cable plugged into channel 5 and you have a value higher than 50% it will turn the gyro on in HH mode. I use 74% for mine in a Swift. A value lower than 50% will turn it off."

&

"On the Optic, you do not need to set the endpoints.
The GYRO menu will have four toggles. These are flashing at the bottom of the GYRO menu. When you flip between NORM, ST1, ST2, and HOLD, you'll see the separate settings for the GYRO.

From 1~49 is used to set RATE mode. The closer to "1", the higher the RATE gain.

From 51~99 is used to set HEAD HOLD mode. The closer to 99, the higher the HEAD HOLD gain.

You'll need to program the same gain numbers for all separate flight modes. Make sure you flip every switch just to be sure you don't miss something."

Serves me right for not using the search function!
RaZz0R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

RaZzOR, keep in mind as you start working with this gyro that most folks settle on pretty high gain settings as compared to some other gyros.
RMG2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo speed tied to gear channel, nomal...?

I was playing with my gain (gear channel) and noticed that it directly controlled the servo speed for my 5083 servo (combo package).

This is a new combo that I got, didn't noticed this on a previous combo? Is this normal?
towertsk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #191 (permalink)

Hello Bob,

I wish to know which Gyro is best the Hitec HG5000 or the Futaba GY401, I want to know if I sale my servo Hitec5083MG or my Gyro GY401 to be able to mach a good pair by mistake I bought separetly and know I realize I can use it together!!
Wotan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #192 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
Hello Bob,

I wish to know which Gyro is best the Hitec HG5000 or the Futaba GY401, I want to know if I sale my servo Hitec5083MG or my Gyro GY401 to be able to mach a good pair by mistake I bought separetly and know I realize I can use it together!!
Having experienced both, my opinion is that the Futaba GY401 is the better of the two.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #193 (permalink)

Question I am curios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Having experienced both, my opinion is that the Futaba GY401 is the better of the two.

I am very curious and always want to have a better a clear understanding, can you tell me why you said this? whihc features make it better, so far I understand is easier to setup, but it appear that you and other believe HG-5000 is very solid, is this good or extremelly good?

You may notice so far I am newbie to Heli´s, I appreciatte your coaching!.

Also I am confuse because I see your video on HG-5000 and it appear to be a state of art gadget. I am wrong?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #194 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I did not like the piro rate on the hitech gyro. At max rudder of 150/150 it still had a slow piro rate. AT LEAST on the Beam Heli and a Trex.

Hold wise they are pretty much the same. Unless your into 3D with lots of fast piro's either is fine.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #195 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
I am very curious and always want to have a better a clear understanding, can you tell me why you said this? whihc features make it better, so far I understand is easier to setup, but it appear that you and other believe HG-5000 is very solid, is this good or extremelly good?

You may notice so far I am newbie to Heli´s, I appreciatte your coaching!.

Also I am confuse because I see your video on HG-5000 and it appear to be a state of art gadget. I am wrong?
I do like my Hi-tec gyro, because it performs well. But the rate mode set-up was no fun. I also don't think the rotate rate feature is worth much, being that there doesn't seem to be much difference in how hard it stops the tail no matter what you set it at.

The 401 on the other hand does not require a rate mode set-up. And once the delay is set properly so you don't get any bounce when you stop the tail, the 401 felt like it stopped and locked the tail a lot harder (better) than the 5000. It was very quick to set-up and tweak for great results.

If I had to start over again and only had a choice of these two gyros, I would pick the GY401.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #196 (permalink)

Pretty Cool explanation and much more easier for a newbie to make a decision, thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #197 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which way should the hg5000 be facing when mounted on the heli?
InHumanForm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The label has to be facing either up or down, with the mounting surface perpendicular to the mainshaft. Other than that, it doesn't make a difference which way it's oriented.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Uncommanded piro / can't set end limits

I have recently purchase a second HG5000 (the first died in a rather spectacular crash). Using it on a e325 MiniTitan.

Anyway, twice now I have experienced an "uncommanded" piro (quite slow) in a clockwise direction. This has happened after the 3rd or 4th batteries, just as I'm coming in to land (head speed slow?). The first time resulted in a minor crash, the second I caught (just!).

I have also been having lots of trouble getting the servo limits set correctly - I do the setup however they don't seem to stay set as the limits. This is odd because I had no difficulties in getting the first HG5000 set up (which worked brilliantly)

Are these related? What could I do to ensure that the end limits are set (beyond what is in the manual / video)? Anyone experience this sort of slow piro?

any advice appreciated, thanks
boltor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #200 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Some guys that have had weird problems like you describe do a Factory RESET on the unit. I forget where I read how to do this but there is a way to reset and thus recalibrate the gyro. Try a search. I think it is under Logictech 2100 gyro?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in