Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default BeastX Vs. Mini-V

I am wondering which is better, are they comparable in ease of setup? I may have a chance to get a 550e with a mini-v bar instead of beastx, do you guys think the mini-v performs just as well?
ramsdellcp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is primarily a subjective thing. It is not one that can (easily) be objectively measured.

Some will prefer v-bar, some beastx and some other units.

General consensus is both work very, very well and neither is a poor choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsdellcp View Post
I am wondering which is better, are they comparable in ease of setup? I may have a chance to get a 550e with a mini-v bar instead of beastx, do you guys think the mini-v performs just as well?
Stickey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have beastx on my t-rex 550 and it's work very well and it's very easy to setup. No need to bye software like Mikado.
ricdib is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have owned both

microbeast very easy to set up, no computer needed
vbar very easy to set up, but computer is needed, havent upgraded to the pro yet

i honestly think they both fly close enough to the same for joe blow, or myself anyways... i am deff not a smack down 3d pilot
jonboy688 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Vbar comes to life on pro settings and gives a very crisp setup. But it needs tweaking to get it feeling as you want, I find the vbar easier to work with but that's because I'm used to it I guess.

Beastx works well too and fairly easy to set up, just check with other what tail setup they have and so on to take away some tweaking hehe.
myrseth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks guys, you have all been very helpful
ramsdellcp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

They are both flying very good. Hardware (sensors) is the same, so difference is coming from software.

mini Vbar is V5 software revision and microbeast is V2 revision
Microbeast upgrades are free, Vbar's you'll have to pay for.

regards

Marcel
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguw View Post
Hi,

They are both flying very good. Hardware (sensors) is the same, so difference is coming from software.

mini Vbar is V5 software revision and microbeast is V2 revision
Microbeast upgrades are free, Vbar's you'll have to pay for.

regards

Marcel
actually quite wrong, you have to pay for pro upgrade and major version upgrades, 4-5, 5-6 and so on, updates are free.

Both work fine, vbar as pro gives more options for tweaking. And pro vbar offers a dramatic improvement over express
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Beastx works well too and fairly easy to set up, just check with other what tail setup they have and so on to take away some tweaking hehe.[/QUOTE]

I run the beastx on one of my 700n and never had to Tweat the tail or anything for that matter and yes i fly 3D, One my flying buddys flys the Vbar and it flys very well after a few weekends of tweating. If you want out of the box performance and if your setup right I wound go with Beastx and save yourself a few bills
Spektrum DX8,AMA#849731
nitro burner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Vbar comes to life on pro settings and gives a very crisp setup."

"And pro vbar offers a dramatic improvement over express "

Absolutely Correct!
(I learned this from Klaus-very, very large difference between 5.0 Express and 5.1 Pro on my 6HV).
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both. BeastX is definitely easier to initially set up. You need a computer with the VBar but you'll also have the option to customize many more options than BeastX. You can get great out of the box performance with the Mini VBar too (meaning you can just fly with the recommended settings). If I ever needed to tweak settings it might have taken me 4 to 5 flights max.

Either one will work fine; if you can get a good deal on a heli that already has a Mini VBar on it then just go with it.

BTW, you're asking this question on the BeastX forum so guess which unit will get more recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Absolutely correct - very, very large difference between 5.0 Express and 5.1 Pro on my 6HV.
Which begs the question, of course, why Mikado don't offer for sale the Pro version? Instead they offer the Express and you take in a deep breath before you part with your dough, thinking you are done. And then you realize you need to cough up another 20% on top to get the Pro. Less than honest sales tactics IMO.

Buy the vbar if you are happy to use a PC to configure your bird; buy the BeastX if not.
ollie2893 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Which begs the question, of course, why Mikado don't offer for sale the Pro version? Instead they offer the Express and you take in a deep breath before you part with your dough, thinking you are done. And then you realize you need to cough up another 20% on top to get the Pro. Less than honest sales tactics IMO."

I don't think I would say "less than honest" but I did ask myself the same question, sir (i.e. why not just sell it with the Pro Version installed in the first place).

Knowing what I know now, I would started with the Pro Version (Myrseth convinced me to upgrade and I am grateful he did).

I just got a "Full Size" V-Bar and am not even considering flying with it with Express-it will be upgraded immediately.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is how I look at it:

Most of the time if something works well then it isn't about the performance itself. Then you have to look at cost or ease of setup or whatever your concern is.

The beastx performs extremely well, cost is relatively lower, and is easy to setup.

The mini/vbar does give you more..cost is higher though.

Neither one will disappoint.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Most of the time if something works well then it isn't about the performance itself. Then you have to look at cost or ease of setup or whatever your concern is.

The beastx performs extremely well, cost is relatively lower, and is easy to setup.

The mini/vbar does give you more..cost is higher though.

Neither one will disappoint."

Extremely well put sir!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie2893 View Post
Which begs the question, of course, why Mikado don't offer for sale the Pro version? Instead they offer the Express and you take in a deep breath before you part with your dough, thinking you are done. And then you realize you need to cough up another 20% on top to get the Pro. Less than honest sales tactics IMO.
I'm not sure that has anything to do with sales tactics Ollie, it's more like the logistical headache of selling two identical units with a different software. Makes much more sense to do it like they do at the moment. They could bundle an upgrade coupon with the unit and called it "pro", I guess - but this way Mikado circumvents the need to share profits with the distributors and shops (e.g. Readyheli). This way they get to keep all the money and that's a consideration too, I guess (nearly double the profit).

Trex 700N, Furion 6FBL, (lots of fuel and some batteries)
SamurAchzar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
it's more like the logistical headache of selling two identical units with a different software.
Perhaps. What's the point of the Express f/w again? Why maintain it at all if "Vbar [only] comes to life on pro settings and gives a very crisp setup"? Wrong forum and thread to discuss I suppose.

Bottom line for OP: when comparing price tags, multiply headline vbar price by 1.2. And also go "full-size", not "mini".
ollie2893 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup, the OP was just asking if the Mini VBar performs as well as the BeastX.

The short answer is yes, it performs at least as well. It can perform even better by through more customization options, as long as you're OK with using a computer to make the changes.

Remember though, if you want to customize the BeastX more than turning the pots, you also have to hook it up to a computer -- and there aren't nearly as many customization options (with the BeastX PC software) as there are with the VBar.

One other thing to remember is that there are extensive vibration diagnostic tools available with the Mikado software, and Mikado will release the governor function for Mini VBar shortly.

And I'll say it again: both will work fine on the 550.
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro burner View Post
I run the beastx on one of my 700n and never had to Tweat the tail or anything for that matter and yes i fly 3D
Different helis need different settings on the tail, and asking someone with same model and setup what they got theirs flying right with is smart and a time saver, trust me sometimes the beastx needs serious tweaking too, I gave up getting it to fly well in any other setting then radio myself, still I am picky on my setups... If they don't fly as good or better then flybar setup it won't get flown I don't go around hollering about hands off hover, I want good flight performance. And a well setup flybar is quite challenging for a fbl to beat to be honest.

My vbar I setup on the bench and normally one flight for adjustment and I'm good, I did get myself a field unit now as I want to experiment a bit outside of what's needed with the new parameters, I have a feeling I can find the sweat spot where my heli gets all the advantages from the flybar and fbl in one setup I already got my heli to do piroflips in one spot without effort like flybar does, god I missed that ease flybar gives some maneuvers

For the vbar cost thing. I wish mikado made express sw free upgrade major version and added cyclic ring to that version, that would take away the discussions and made express usable for most helis. But the pro sw is really worth the $$ in my eyes and I don't mind the upgrade cost, I feel I get bang for the buck invested, esp the gov. I am atm enjoying using the gov to save a shitload on esc and my ship with a fullsize with gov saves me $$$ compared to many alternatives. Same the paddle sim gives me the option of using 710s and still have a very fast and crisp setup.

I recommend people to just have a look at the field and try to get a flight of the units then decide which path to take esp have a look at setup, I like both units myself but favor how the vbar does setup, my gf however favors the beastx on her 3D+
Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I recommend people to just have a look at the field and try to get a flight of the units then decide which path to take esp have a look at setup, I like both units myself but favor how the vbar does setup, my gf however favors the beastx on her 3D+ [/QUOTE]

I like both as well, and iv'e had a few flight on my buddys vbar, As for me i went with the Beastx it a personal choice, I like how the beastx sets up and flys.
Spektrum DX8,AMA#849731
nitro burner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in