Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Odin and 3D+

Odin and 3D+ Compass Odin and 3D+ Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I go 3D nitro?

I wanted to get opinions on Electric verses Nitro. I have a couple of trex 450 electrics and
am thinking of getting a bigger helicopter in the 600 range maybe a 6HV or 3D +. I don't like how much the batteries cost for the 6HV . I could buy one or two sets but then it takes forever to charge them and I could get max 2 6min flights before I am down for 2 hours charging batteries. I am not really into 3D yet but hear that the Compass 3D plus is fairly stable and would I probably buy a used motor for it maybe a OS 50. My questions are.

1) Is electric really more convenient than Nitro?

2) Is Nitro cheaper in the end when you consider the cost of batteries and how many cycles they last?.

3) Is Nitro harder on your equipment due to vibration and oil mess?

4) How long do the nitro motors last before they need to be rebuilt ?

5) What do you estimate is the cost per flight for the 3D plus is?

6) Does the mess and inconvenience created by Nitro an impediment to flying them. If you have both which helicopter do you tend to fly most?
lklansingkiter@me.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1. Sometimes, there is no staying up all night charging batteries which is nice. But you still have rx battery/ies, starter battery, and glow igniter battery to mess with.
2. No
3. Not sure but it could be. I doubt it though.
4. If you don't screw them up they will last a while
5. Well cost of my fuel is around $25 and I get 10 flights per gallon. So about $2.50 per flight. A set of cheap packs for a 600 would be around $100, and might last you 100 cycles if you take care of them. That's $1 per flight.
6. Nitro is alot more work then electric but it is fun to fly. Electric has more power, but nitro has more soul. Have 1 of each if you can.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I doubt I'll ever have a large electric, as Lazor said, they have no soul.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It should also be noted that nitro flight time is around 1 1/2 to 2 times longer then electric. So what Iaaid above about cost per flight isn't as bug of a difference as it seems, but nitro is still more expensive.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklansingkiter@me.com View Post
I don't like how much the batteries cost for the 6HV . I could buy one or two sets but then it takes forever to charge them and I could get max 2 6min flights before I am down for 2 hours charging batteries.
With nitro you pay as you go, with electric you pay for everything up front. In all reality the cost differential per year if you spreadsheet it accurately isn't that big.

I must know what charger you have. I can charge all 6 of my 6HV packs in about 30-45 minutes... And by 6 I mean flight packs, so 12 x 3300mah packs charged in that time. If it takes you 2 hours to charge it might be time for a charger upgrade.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default charger

I have a SkY Charger not sure what its capability is for 12s. I guess that another route for
me would be to buy a trex 700n pro. I know where I can get one NIB with engine and blades for $650 and if I don't like it I can buy the electric conversion kit from heli direct for $50 and convert it to electric. What do you think of that plan?

Larry
lklansingkiter@me.com is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklansingkiter@me.com View Post
I have a SkY Charger not sure what its capability is for 12s. I guess that another route for
me would be to buy a trex 700n pro. I know where I can get one NIB with engine and blades for $650 and if I don't like it I can buy the electric conversion kit from heli direct for $50 and convert it to electric. What do you think of that plan?

Larry
The 700e conversions are nice, but I've heard from people that have flown the 7HV and the 700e that the 7HV is in a different class, meaning a better flying heli. I watched a guy at my field fight with a 700e conversion for 6 months before he got tired of messing with it and sold it to get a logo 600. The price you mention is a very good price for the 700N though (especially if it comes with servos). I'm not sure I could pass that one up. I might shy away from the E conversion though.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nitro

Thanks for the help. I keep hearing good things about Compass helicopters I should
Probably listen to that.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default nitro

I pulled the trigger on a 6HV today and picked it up locally from Nankin Hobby.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good choice! Its one of the funnest and wicked helis to fly.

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in