Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default To Swash or not to Swash?

Hi all,

I'm very new to this, trying to figure my way into parts and upgrades....also the reason for upgrade.

I've seen many talking about Swash upgrade, is that a necessity? If i do so, what improvements do I expect to have on the 120 fly mode? Sorry if I sounded ignorant but that what forums are for

Thanks!
Scull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not ignorant at all, that is what we are here for. Do not add mods or upgrades until you can fly your heli well. They will only make it harder to learn on, and more expensive to crash. All those fancy parts are for appearance and will make it harder to fly for an inexperienced pilot. Many of the so called upgrades make the heli heavy but more responsive so you will crash more until you learn how to fly it well. The heli flys best and easiest in its stock form. Setting up the heli correctly and having a decent radio will do far more than any add on part you can buy. Numerous posts have been made on here on this subject and all say the same thing.....do your research!!
airshot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I realize learning to fly the 120sr stock is probably best, but for me the swashplate seemed a must to upgrade. first time I took it out flying I was just trying to trim it out, i broke a ball off the swashplate just adjusting the linkage, bought another one (stock) and was installing the the linkage back on, the same ball broke off of that one, did not even get to fly it at all. So I ordered a Microheli swashplate, and am very happy with it so far. I did not do it for bling or performance, just durability and I will leave everything else stock unless I run into any other problems. I guess moral of the story is leave it stock unless you have issues as I did. Maybe I just have to get used to these delicate parts as I come from rc cars wich are way more durable.
200SRXShawn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those links have a large and small side on the ball sockets. Be sure to "pop" the large side over the ball, not the small side.

Garry

Garry
SplashN'Crash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashN'Crash View Post
Those links have a large and small side on the ball sockets. Be sure to "pop" the large side over the ball, not the small side.

Garry
This is curios, because I have heard this before and I was trying to figure out which side is smaller, and I couldn't, I have since downloaded John Salts ebook, and he says that yes this applies to the smaller links, but not the servo pushrod links, except the msrx has a smaller side on the servo pushrod as well. The smaller links have a dimple in the middle of the small side, so on the 120sr this makes 1/2 turn adjustments possible for the servo pushrod. I should have clarified that I was talking about breaking the ball off the swashplate where the servo pushrod connects.
200SRXShawn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scull View Post
Hi all,

I'm very new to this, trying to figure my way into parts and upgrades....also the reason for upgrade.

I've seen many talking about Swash upgrade, is that a necessity? If i do so, what improvements do I expect to have on the 120 fly mode? Sorry if I sounded ignorant but that what forums are for

Thanks!
I only changed my swash when i broke the ball tip on it. Then i get a alloy one and it rocks solid. In my opinion it's the only upgrade you need on this..apart from soldering direct wires to main motor avoiding the plug
blade200srx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade200srx View Post
I only changed my swash when i broke the ball tip on it. Then i get a alloy one and it rocks solid. In my opinion it's the only upgrade you need on this..apart from soldering direct wires to main motor avoiding the plug
Which swash did you end up going with?

Micro heli?

Thanks
Chuck Stunter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in