Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problems with HS65s and Spektrum?

Hey Guys:

I've had some guys on E-Zone claim that there are problems with the Hitec HS65 Servoes and the Spektrum Radio/Receiver? This is the setup I have in my SE which I haven't flown yet.

They claim that the Receiver doesn't put out enough juice for the Servos and that can cause some serious issues. Anyone had this problem? Does it only happen when the pack gets run down? They said the reciever is only feeding a bit over three volts to the servos. I thought the speed controls pretty much regulated down to 4.8 or 6 volts. If we aren't getting full voltage to the servoes we aren't getting anywhere near the performance they are rated at.

Thanks!
Lee
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

I sure don't know anything about that receiver,, but the speed control is plugged into the receiver,, so,, power for the motor seems like it would go from the battery to the esc then from there strait to the motor. And the wire that plugs from the esc to the receiver ( 3 wires ) that wire will run the servos and receiver,so power is still coming only from the receiver to run the servos ... I think?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I really find this hard to beleive. I am runing both HS65 s and HS56 s on 3 and 4 cell helis and have had no problems. Also futaba S9650 s on tails. No problems as far as I can tell.
bluemooone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no problem with that setup.
jack726 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys. They seemed to be biased toward the JR PCM radios, and I never heard of any issues before.

Thanks,
lee
Old 10-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are only getting 3 volts out of the receiver then there is a problem with the power supply in the ESC.
I haven't looked but I'll bet that the servo power is on the same buss as the throttle channel so the voltage out of the RX must be the same as the voltage in.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

From what I can tell, DX6 is JR through HH.
Icenum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

They just want to spread spektrum envy!
bluemooone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, it's not hard to tell. I'm gonna wire things up and check the voltage.

Anyone else heard there will be a 9 Channel Spektrum based system out soon?

Regards,
Lee
Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I run the DX6 and I have no problems at all

Mike
captcasper7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The *signal* wire on the Spektrum puts out 3.3 volts, rather than the usual 5 volts. There has been online speculation about this (since it's unusual, though not unheard of), and people misunderstanding the difference between the signal wire and the power wires don't know enough to know the difference. These are probably the same guys who advocate reversing your servo by switching polarities on the servo wires.

Your servos are still getting 5 or 6 volts to the motor (depending on your setup), and they'll work fine. The signal circuitry in your servos doesn't even need 3.3 volts to be effective.

Some people thought this might be the reason that HS-65's respond a little slower on CCPM setups using the Spektrum, but it's become apparent that the problem is something to do with the programming of CCPM mode on the Spektrum transmitter itself. Helis which use mechanical mixing show no sign of such sluggishness, regardless of servo brand used. It's purely a CCPM thing, and virtually unnoticeable to those who haven't flown on high-resolution helis before.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

fwiw...

Seems all the dss chips like 3v. the tx actually runs the rf board on 3.3...That's the reason the Spektrum sucks batt power...An upgrade is available, do a search for "Spektrum switching regulator."

John.
bmlasater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlasater
fwiw...

Seems all the dss chips like 3v. the tx actually runs the rf board on 3.3...That's the reason the Spektrum sucks batt power...An upgrade is available, do a search for "Spektrum switching regulator."

John.
The regulator is for the transmitter. I haven't heard of converting the receiver. The receiver uses comparatively very little power so having it run at 3.3V has virtually no effect on battery life. The transmitter, on the other hand, has to broadcast the RF signal and drops the voltage from 10-11V to 3.3V to derive its power so it benefits from the switching regulator.

Remember that the servos are not powered through the receiver. The receiver just passes the current on at whatever voltage is delivered from the BEC. The only possible issue with the receiver is whether the traces on the board between each servo plug are beefy enough to handle the current requirements of a set of large, digital servos. No problem at all for the HS65's which are neither large or digital.

BTW: When Futaba first introduced its PCM receivers, they had 3.3V control pulses which did cause some servo compatiblity issues. As a result, servo manufacturers made sure that their servos would be able to use these lower voltage pulses and I doubt that it is a problem with any servo made in the last 10 years.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Yup, I run DX6 with HS-65MG on a TrexSE and no problems at all.

BTW there have been several posts over on RCG about a Spektrum demo last weekend of a new high end Tx flying a large scale turbine jet. No more details so far. Looks like gen2 is almost here...
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
Yup, I run DX6 with HS-65MG on a TrexSE and no problems at all.

BTW there have been several posts over on RCG about a Spektrum demo last weekend of a new high end Tx flying a large scale turbine jet. No more details so far. Looks like gen2 is almost here...
Look for an announcement at iHobbyExpo on the 17th! But, then again, what do I know?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can confirm there will be an announcement at iHobbyExpo. Will be significantly upgraded from the DX6 - 5 point curves, nicer gimbals, big display area, and seven channels (I know, 9 would have been better). Got to play with it a little and it was sweet. Can't wait.
http://www.hoverimaging.com
oscillator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator
I can confirm there will be an announcement at iHobbyExpo. Will be significantly upgraded from the DX6 - 5 point curves, nicer gimbals, big display area, and seven channels (I know, 9 would have been better). Got to play with it a little and it was sweet. Can't wait.
Basically the 7102 transmitter platform. Larger receiver, one of the two antennas can be located remotely. Should be sweet! Any news on when they hit the stores?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in