Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum GPS Telemetry

Does anyone have any information about the Spektrum GPS telemetry module. In particular the warnings that you can setup for it. I have mine installed and it appears that the only warning you can set it for is distance. Even though the GPS module is providing a lot more useful data that I would like to set warnings for.

I want to be able to set warnings for altitude and ground speed. It would be a great feature if the warning could be programmed to alert if I approach the 400ft limit for model aircraft. Also I see these options are available if you have the separate altitude and airspeed sensors installed. But I don’t have room on my model to install all of those separate sensors.

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...rodID=SPMA9587

Gaui X4 II-Spirit RS | Gaui X7-Spirit RS | Gaui R5 V2-DEMON AXON | Soxos Strike 7.1-Spirit GTR
JETI DS-14 | JETI DS-16 Gen2
iscripter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd agree with your assessment. On my DX9, it looks like the only alarm you can set is for distance from the starting point. That's also the only parameter from the GPS sensor that the transmitter will automatically call out periodically.

I do have a separate altimeter, and with that the DX9 lets you set alarms for both high and low altitude.
flightengr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum GPS Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscripter View Post
I want to be able to set warnings for altitude and ground speed. It would be a great feature if the warning could be programmed to alert if I approach the 400ft limit for model aircraft.

You need to enable Airspeed in the telemetry selections. In the absense of a pitot airspeed sensor it will use GPS speed. It will actually be groundspeed though. (Unfortunately, this function stopped working with latest Airware update, but this is expected to be fixed with future update.)

Concerning altitude alerts, you either need an altimeter or a variometer sensor.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks - I'll have to try that. I figured out how to get the DX9 to call out speed (ground speed) using a switch event. I never thought of enabling the Airspeed telemetry screen.
flightengr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
You need to enable Airspeed in the telemetry selections. In the absense of a pitot airspeed sensor it will use GPS speed. It will actually be groundspeed though. (Unfortunately, this function stopped working with latest Airware update, but this is expected to be fixed with future update.)

Concerning altitude alerts, you either need an altimeter or a variometer sensor.

Carlos
Thank you, Carlos
I will have to wait till the next airware update then. Since I am running the latest airware on my DX7 Gen2 radio. Hopefully Spektrum will fix this soon.

It would be nice if Spektrum had some where that we could send bug reports to. Or provide feedback to them for new radio features.

Gaui X4 II-Spirit RS | Gaui X7-Spirit RS | Gaui R5 V2-DEMON AXON | Soxos Strike 7.1-Spirit GTR
Old 04-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscripter View Post
It would be nice if Spektrum had some where that we could send bug reports to. Or provide feedback to them for new radio features.
Yes, there is a direct communication link for cases like this. Use the "I have an issue" address from the community site.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Yes, there is a direct communication link for cases like this. Use the "I have an issue" address from the community site.

Carlos
All done with reporting my issue
Thank you again.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, after playing around with my DX7 Gen2 and Airware 1.04 some more. I was able to setup a custom voice event. That when set to a switch will say the airspeed which is actually the GPS ground speed because I don't have a Airspeed sensor attached.

Also if I turn on Airspeed in the telemetry menu and turn on the status reports it will report the GPS ground speed as the Air speed for the spoken status reports. Even though the airspeed telemetry screen shows no data

Very strange but I will take it as this is one of the things I wanted to do with the GPS sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in