Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > YGE

YGE YGE ESC Support and Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I need help with yge 160hv calibration

I'm setting up a new goblin 700 with yge 160hv, quantum 4530 500kv motor, ikon and 2 dsmx sats. I want to set it up without governor first.

So, I set up the ikon. Now I'm trying to set up the esc. First, I calibrated the throttle endpoints using the sticks using a 12s pack at storage charge. That seemed to go fine. I can upplug the battery and plug it back in and motor starts up fine with a bit of throttle. Then I program the esc with the program card but don't do anything with the endpoints with the program card. This seems to go ok.

But when I remove the program card then plug battery back in at 0 throttle the motor won't spin when I give a little throttle. Tried this 3 times, tried powering the program card from the ikon and from just a 2s life pack. Same result.

This is my first time programming a yge esc. I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what. My throttle curves (all of them) are linear but I did calibrate my transmitter (including the throttle channel) to the ikon (I read that this should be done first). This put my travel adjust endpoint to 127% on both high and low. Should I put my travel adjust back to 100%? But I'll just have to put them back to 127% when I calibrate that channel in the ikon software. I'm kind of confused. Any advice is appreciated.

Glen
gt48 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

YGE Programming Governor Store (11 min 21 sec)
Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. Doesn't help. That's the video I followed

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

this yge esc is more of a PITA than anything I have noticed man...

I cant even get mine to kick my motor over without me spinning the freaking head with my hand first....and that's no matter what start power I set it to...

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey LoveToFly is this common? I'm still assuming I'm doing something wrong. Will try a few more things and report back.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt48 View Post
Hey LoveToFly is this common? I'm still assuming I'm doing something wrong. Will try a few more things and report back.

honestly bro I don't know, I was just venting a little along with you....I am having issues with mine as well, and cannot get anyone to answer my question or help me figure my issue out. this is my first yge, so I have no clue what is normal...lol..I really hope that my issue and your issue are not the normal things with yge. I have heard a lot of good things about yge, so I doubt it.

I did find somewhere that on my motor I should use 18 degrees of timing instead of the recommended 5, bc the recommended 5 is if I am using a scorpion esc....so I will try that this evening.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

gt 48....
I had the same issue... The question I ask do you hear the esc arm at all?
so you plug in the battery hear the 12 beeps for the battery cell count the 3 ascending tone and 3 descending tones.....
Those last three tones are what arms the esc, If you are not hearing these then the esc is NOT receiving zero throttle signal or incorrect value....
I am not familiar with ikon... However...

If I were you I would try to reprogram the esc endpoints using the programming card. Mr. Mel I know does not advise this, but it did solve my issue....
I spent 4 hours trouble shooting mine and once you figure it out, it is nice...
KRAR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

KRAR: No, don't think it's arming. Thanks for the suggestion to use programming card to calibrate. I think it's a good one as I can see that solving my issue, which is occurring somewhere between the time I calibrate with sticks and the time I use programming card to set other parameters (that got reset to default by calibrating with sticks!).
Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

See when I cant calibrate with sticks because it justs sends the esc into a manual programming mode... So to reprogram the throttle endpoints I needed the programming card...
So if I were you reprogram the esc with the card now...
Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just an update. It's working now, that is motor is spooling up ok on the bench. What made the difference for me was setting motor startup power to auto 1-32. After calibrating with the sticks I had previously been going in with the programming card and changing this to 2% (because it's a hv setup and that's what I read/saw it should be set to) but at that setting the motor would just shiver on spoolup.

Not sure I'm happy with this though because I think it should work with 2%. I have to say I find the yge programming finicky. I should say a couple of things I tried that didn't work. One was doing all the programming, including throttle calibration, with the card. The other was setting my throttle travel adjust in the transmitter back to 100% both low and high. These two attempts were with startup power at 2%

Anyway, I'll see how she flies with the motor belt and blades back on.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

I ran into the same problem today as I had to setup my heli again and rebound it to a different remote....

THE FIX I use

Note: I am using a YGE 120... but should be the same...

Here is what happened...
the motor would turn with throttle but after awhile the esc would just beep 6 times.....

Reprogram esc......
CAUTION REMOVE BLADES
1) power on transmitter
2) power electronics separately via a rx pack into the 'brain' or something....
3) wait for everything to initialize if you have too.. I wait 30 seconds just because
4) move throttle to FULL STICK
5) Plugin esc.... This puts the esc into a manual programming mode(should hear like 10 beeps)...
6) put the throttle to minimum
7) once you hear three continuous beeps in a row go back to full throttle and wait for 2 more beeps
8) move throttle back to minimum !!!!!ESC IS NOW ARMED and in gov store mode!!!!
9) Now if you want gov store mode continue... if not jump down to part b...
10)power everything off
11) use a battery that you would fly with at 4.0 Volts for the esc and turn on remote followed by the esc
12) turn throttle to 100% and this teaches the esc how fast it can drive the motor.....

Note: gov mode overrides any throttle curves and on the goblin 500 I find that it is a little to much headspeed and have not learnt yet how to adjust that... I will be using throttle curves.

part b)
1)Power everything Off
2) Now we attach the programming card to the esc.. throttle port on the rx to the programming card...
3) make sure remote is powered on
4) On the programming card go to the second page by holding the two button on the left for two seconds.... and TURN GOV MODE OFF
5) power esc down, followed by remote
6) replace everything to the way it was
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey KRAR, that's good info there. Unfortunately didn't work for me. I did everything up to step 8 but the esc did not arm at this point. It cycled through 1 beep, then 2 beeps and so on up to I think 6 beeps then back to 1 beep etc, as if waiting for input from me. So I guess it was in manual programming mode but I don't have instructions for manual programming.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

buy the programming card then....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in