Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Battery Wires

Has anyone extended the wires on their battery's?
I want to extend both the hot and ground, and the balance plug wires to make them about a foot longer, for a special project. Will this hurt the performance of the battery?
Thanks
cueman100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

What sized heli ? and how long do you need to extend ? Generally you want to move the electronics, very rarely should you ever extend them.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

need to extend them about 12 inchs, 90 size nitro in a fuse.
cueman100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Sounds like a really bad idea to me
Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it is just a pack that is running the radio equipment I wouldn't worry about extending them. If you were extending flight packs then you could use those castle creations cap packs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
propxprt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If load current is heavy, you could use a larger gauge wire to compensate for the extra length. If the wire is sized up correctly, there will be no degradation of load voltage; The only penalty is a little extra weight and the work of replacing (not just adding on to) the existing wires. The balance wires are less critical so you could just extend those with the same gauge.

You could look up wire resistance per length to figure out what larger gauge to use.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If this is to an ESC, the issue is much less about power loss and much more about inductance.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure why you want to extend them. Is it to have the lipo in its "place" to stay and then charge it while in the fuse? If so there is a Deans plug that goes on the side of planks for something. I have seen adds for them, but not sure what they do. You could use one of them and wire your lipo to it. Then just plug your charge end to the side of the fuse. For the balance lead you could have the plug on the outside (fitted tight to the side) and have the wires on the other side "tied off" (so they wont pull out) and then run to the lipo. Just a thought.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapilot View Post
If this is to an ESC, the issue is much less about power loss and much more about inductance.
There is no inductance on the battery leads in a straight run. Inductance takes a coil of wire. Resistance yes, and thats why the Cap Packs sometimes help, they can supply a momentary punch faster than the battery can.

If its for the servos in your Fuse, no worries on length, 14ga gona be plenty. If it's for a ESC( but you said 90 sized so I assume Nitro) ESC it would be wide to make a jumper of atleast the next larger size. Battery will be removed for charging I assume too?
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
There is no inductance on the battery leads in a straight run.
How much ya wanna bet ?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman100 View Post
Has anyone extended the wires on their battery's?
I want to extend both the hot and ground, and the balance plug wires to make them about a foot longer, for a special project. Will this hurt the performance of the battery?
Thanks
Running long wires to an ESC is a bad idea. If you must extend them use large wire then add a capacitor bank at the ESC to compensate or risk blowing up your ESC.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...-cap-pack.html

Logo 480 / Logo 600sx / Logo 690 / Logo 700 / Vbar Control
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
There is no inductance on the battery leads in a straight run. Inductance takes a coil of wire. Resistance yes, and thats why the Cap Packs sometimes help, they can supply a momentary punch faster than the battery can.

If its for the servos in your Fuse, no worries on length, 14ga gona be plenty. If it's for a ESC( but you said 90 sized so I assume Nitro) ESC it would be wide to make a jumper of atleast the next larger size. Battery will be removed for charging I assume too?
There is definitely inductance on straight runs (or any run). It's just really small for the tiny runs on helis.
tracernz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
Running long wires to an ESC is a bad idea. If you must extend them use large wire then add a capacitor bank at the ESC to compensate or risk blowing up your ESC.

The OP said 90 size nitro in a fuse,therefore this is a low power rx setup ..For this application I see no problem..If it were me I would just make an extension cord ..
Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapilot View Post
exactly this
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can I extend the leads on a Castle BEC PRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post

I'm in a similar situation where I need to extend the wires on a BEC (Castle PRO BEC) about 8-10 inches for my Goblin 500 build.

Rather than tap the beginning of the ESC power leads near the ESC itself, I was going to extend the wires to the power connector.

Will this cause any issues? It has 16 gauge wire on the ESC and I picked up some 16 gauge stranded wire from Home Depot. It doesn't feel quite as flexible though.
richord is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
I'm in a similar situation where I need to extend the wires on a BEC (Castle PRO BEC) about 8-10 inches for my Goblin 500 build.

Rather than tap the beginning of the ESC power leads near the ESC itself, I was going to extend the wires to the power connector.

Will this cause any issues? It has 16 gauge wire on the ESC and I picked up some 16 gauge stranded wire from Home Depot. It doesn't feel quite as flexible though.
Extending the wires to the BEC should not be an issue, since there is none of the high frequency step changes in current draw that an ESC causes (this is what interacts with the inductance of the wires to cause issues). 16AWG will be fine for that application, the current from battery to BEC is not high.

Extending RX pack wires is also no problem, though if it is a long extension I would use a larger gauge wire rather than extend the 2 20AWG servo leads, then split to 2-3 servo plugs near the RX.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Extending the wires to the BEC should not be an issue, since there is none of the high frequency step changes in current draw that an ESC causes (this is what interacts with the inductance of the wires to cause issues). 16AWG will be fine for that application, the current from battery to BEC is not high.

Extending RX pack wires is also no problem, though if it is a long extension I would use a larger gauge wire rather than extend the 2 20AWG servo leads, then split to 2-3 servo plugs near the RX.
Thanks. The CC BEC PRO peaks at 20A. I doubt the 4 servos on the G500 will pull anything near that.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Thanks. The CC BEC PRO peaks at 20A. I doubt the 4 servos on the G500 will pull anything near that.
20A output at 6V. Input side at 6S pack voltage is going to be a third of that current at worst.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Decided to ditch the cheap home depot 16 gauge wire.

I have some of this laying around. Should be much better and much more flexible.

http://teamnovak.com/shop/index.php?...21cjklkvpmnsu0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in