Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thanks for the help Brian, but i finally figured out the problem. First the negative number being head holding. There was a reverse setting in the gyro section of my radio after i switched that negative was rate positive was HH. Next my radio comes setup with revolution mixing turned on by default, after turning that off my tail holds well.
aldous is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem,

That was actually a second posting that I started to typed up, but was going to wait to see how the first idea turned out. Was going to say 'are you sure you aren't in heading hold when you think you are in rate and vice versa?'

If its taking some left rudder to hold the tail in rate, you may want to adjust the position of your servo just a bit on your boom to take that out.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Brian

T-Rex 600 GF, 600XL, Stock ESC, 11t, Align DS610's, s9251,GY601 gyro, AR6200, ZIPPY 6s1P FOREVER!
testpilot58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hg5000/lt2100 setup

Bob,
I have run thru setup on my gyro (lt2100) three or four times and seem to have a problem with slow drift to the left. Initially i found I had accidently set up with one click of trim in the settings, have since reset fully and as I have read in other threads rebound my TX/RX as I am using a DX7/6100 radio, this initially seemed to work, but the drift has reappeared.Went thru your setup again start to finish and have virtually zero drift in rate mode, but in HH I get this left drift, am running 72 gain in HH and 68 in rate, if i bump up the gain I appear to get slight wag, have checked gyro mounting re routed cables to ensure they are no pulling against the gyro, no binding on linkages ect. I notice if I sit the heli and switch in from rate mode the tail servo is creeping. I am running about 80% throttle at hover. I am using no name lipos while i wait for my new packs to arrive, could maybe poor performing packs cause me a problem??. As i new to this I am not totally sure of how well the tail should lock, I would have thought that in HH it should hold without input when hovering in only light breeze, or do you usually have to correct occassionally?Any ideas would be apprieciated.
Thanks for the videos have used them all.
David.

Ok to add to the above since I wrote this I have gone back thru all my settings, and have changed only my piro rate, I am only a noob so I set the piro at 100 either side to keep it slow, have now taken this up to 120 and I dont seem to have any drift?? nor is the tail servo creeping, I wouldn't have thought this should affect the tail hold.

Last edited by davidwp56; 04-21-2008 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Additional info
davidwp56 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

jm2¢...

I tried this gyro in my TR450 v2 and I wasn't really all that impressed with the performance given how much setup is needed and how delicate it is to get everything perfect with it. For now I'll stick with my 401 because it performs at least just as well or better, is a cpl bucks more, and requires virtually no special setup at all. I loved that the 5000/2100 has seperate endpoints, but the 401 doesn't need to be setup in rate mode anyways, so they aren't necessary with Futaba as you just set the servo in the exact center of the tail slider and you are ready to fly with a rock solid tail.
princew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default HG-5000

Trex 450SE
HG-5000 with 5083 Servo
Align Carbon Tail Blades
Chinese Weight Mod on Tail

This combination finally achieved a Solid Tail.
Important Points:
1. No Subtrim on Rudder
2. Rudder Endpoints at 125%
3. Carbon Blades much better than Batwing Blades or KS Blades
4. Chinese Weight Mod makes a HUGE Difference
5. Tail Servo Arm - Ball on inner hole
6. MUST setup with Gyro in Normal Mode(30%) so tail does not go left or right
7. Make sure you set enpoints on Gyro to max travel after all this.
8. Gyro Mounted Under boom with Plexiglass Plate with the 3M Black Double Sided Tape

I hesitate to make random suggestions, just the combination that achieved the desired result of a Solid Tail. I have a 2nd Trex 450 with a 401 and 9650 but not built yet, cannot wait to try that combination.
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong here. I have a spektrum dx7 with a 6100 rx. im trying to have the gyro learn radio type. my rx powers up and initializes the learning part of the gyro just fine. when the gyro stops on its last led i go to center stick and it learns then initializes, but for whatever reason when i flip my gear switch to make the heading and rate mode light go on and off, it does not work. am i messing up the learning part somewhere. on my dx7 i have the gear channel set to "gyro" so i figured that would be how it goes and the single wire plug on the gyro is plugged into the gear channel. any help?

Its official. I'm stuck in the air for good. My poor wallet!
ride1226 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just put one of these on my Blade 400, and did a quick hover test in front of the house at midnight, with night blades, and it holds so good compared to the crap G110 that was on it. I didn't do any rate mode set up at all, just followed Bob's instructions on gyro setup/install, centered the servo and pitch slider, set limits, and it hovered perfect, no drift no wag no nothing. Tommorow I will make a daytime test flight, but so far I love it.

Last edited by sd0; 05-02-2008 at 12:33 PM..
sd0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2100T/DX7 Servo creeping

Ok,
I'm back here again, as I have just gone thru the 5000 gyro set up vid again as I'm still having problems with the gyro servo creeping. ( see post #23 ). I have gone thru every setting inside and out but I still get the nose greeping to the left.This happens even sitting on the bench, power up and the servo ceeps to the end point. This is the Logictech 2100 which I believe is very similar to the Hitec 5000. Anyone have any ideas, I've searched the 450 forum, but haven't really found anything that I haven't yet checked already.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwp56 View Post
Ok,
I still get the nose creeping to the left.This happens even sitting on the bench, power up and the servo creeps to the end point. This is the Logictech 2100.
I had this happen to a 2100t after a one of many crashes, the nose constantly drifted right in HH mode but held fine in rate mode. I could never rectify it, tossed it out and bought a new HG-5000 which has been in one very mild crash and has since started drifting on the bench but still holds fine in the air.
I've had two 2100t's and a hg-5000. my next gyro will be a futaba.
urin8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Post Creeping LTG 2100!

The 2100 and any DX radio are a bit tricky to setup. The main thing to do is to rebind the system AFTER you have made all the adjustments iot ensure the receiver sees the correct neutral when booting up. On some TX's it even helps to set a little bit of subtrim untill servo stops creeping and then do the rebind.

It certainly cured my setup on the MiniT, DX7, 2100. Had to set R6 on rudder subtrim and rebind.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Creeping servo

Thanks guys,
This gyro is new and hasn't had any impact/crashes so hopefully thats not it. Vinder, funny you should mention sub-trim, general thinking is no sub trim or trim, but in trying everything I actually put in some subtrim today, ended up with just 1 and this stopped the drift, not sure if for some reason my set up is changing because I have rebound before and seemed to solve the problem but its come back. Have re set everything to zero and rebound again tonite, will give it another go in the morning, if all else fails again will try the sub trim and re bind as you say and give it a go.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Just realize it's not the hottest gyro out there. Again my only complaint is piro rate.

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the setup video on the HG-5000! We have been waiting for you to save us for a while now, with a Hi-Tec setup video.

This is my 2nd 450, and I too agree... The piro rate rate on the HG-5000/HSG5083MG Heli is not like my older GY401/S9650 combo Heli. I wasnt sure if it was the Hi-Tec servo, the gyro or my setup. I followed the instructions, 777 setup videos and now your setup videos. All of them end with the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflores View Post
I took the HG-5000 out to the field today, and it flew very stable. I just could'nt configure the Hitec HG-5000 gyro / HSG-5083MG servo combo to be as fast or as responsive to rudder input as the GY401 / S9650 servo combo. The GY401 rotates lightning fast and stops on a pin head. The HG-5000 spins the tail much slower. I just could'nt configure or program the Hitec to respond like the Futaba product.
Bob.. Thanks for all your hard work, and for always helping us out. You are truly the best resource the Micro-Heli world has! So what is the hottest gyro out on the market???!!! What are you runnin' or would love to run on that smokin' Beam E4?!!!!!! We need a recommendation from the PRO! Should we just stick with the GY401 / 9650 combo? JR G770, Spartan, etc? In short.. I personally won't be investing any more resources or time into this Hit-Tec product. It's Game Over man.... GAME OVER!!!!
TREX 250: Zippy 1000mAh 45C ▪ Spartan DS760 w/290G ▪ HS-65HB ▪ CC25
bflores is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi all just had a trex 500 thank u 4 all the videos i would of bin lost with out them thank u thank you thank you
crashgsxr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Brian.... funny as I tried working with the gyro again just yesterday on the beam. Bottom line with rudder ATV at 150 the piro rate is just OK but like you said not NEAR as lighting fast as my 401. It holds REALLY well and response is good but I still like a faster piro rate myself. Most sport flyers will probably be fine with the piro rate.

The Spartan gyro is currently my favorite. as small as the HG/LT, easier to program, the code can be updated, etc etc etc....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Post Don't Badmouth!

Please guys/girls, compare apples with apples. Any scientific measurement done to verify the piro rate as being slower or is it just a feel. Test it with the same servo and heli as used on the Futaba gyro. Settings perfect etc etc etc.

Only state facts if you want to shoot down a product, especially a sponsored one.

I have three of the LT 2100's on helis as well as Curtis Youngblood and Futaba's products, my LT 2100's (with matching servos) are anyday a match for more expensive products and give piros so fast that your eyes water, had to turn down the ATV to 70-75% to get it to my liking. So obviously you guys are doing something wrong.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Ummm dude.... I have in fact tested 1 to 1 on the same damn heli. Not sure what you consider lightning fast piro rate but a 450 with a 401 and rudder ATV set to 110 will spin so fast there is NO POSSIBLE way to tell when you stop what heading your going to be in. That is what I call a lightning fast piro rate.

Have you seen the Rave 450 video from Curtis using the Curtis gyro? That's how fast I am talking about! See it here if you have not already:
http://www.rave-3d.com/raveteaserhd720.wmv

With this gyro I CANNOT get that. As I said most pilots will be fine with the piro rate at 150 ATV but sorry not me. I want it if I can get it and I cant get it with this gyro PERIOD.

So in fact all I can say is this is what I have found. Is it a bad gyro because of this? NOPE.... Is it better than a 401? Well that I will say is a apples to oranges comparison! I like the fact you can set the end points on each side. The 401 lacks this. That is a benefit. Does it hold better than a 401? I will debate that as I cant tell the difference. Is the piro consistency in wind on maneuvers better than a 401? I would say yes.
So see there are some benefits that this gyro does better than a 401 but there are some trade offs as well.... For me I don't like the slow piro rate and sorry to say I myself prefer the 401 at this point on a 450 sized heli. I can deal with the piro inconsistency on the 401 by tweakin end points and flying the tail a little more. I can't deal with the slow piro rate....

Now finally... I have played with setup of this gyro a million times but hey... I am the first to admit I forked something up if in fact I did. Show me a video of the SAME 450 having a piro rate like that and then explain why I cant get it (as many other have said) and I will back down and redo my setup video....

So your turn... Show the proof!

Bob
Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob
I found this on another site
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...logitech+2100t

Although it is a Logitech 2100t it is basically the same gyro.
But I'm with you on this, I had one on a Mini Titan I had and I could never get a good piro speed and I played with with it a Zillion time also the gyro never felt LOCKED in if you know what I mean, so swapped for a 401 and after 2 mins setting up, I had a smile back on my face, I wont buy another but thats not to say they are a bad gyro they were just not for me.

Simon
For everything else There's Mastercard.
BMFA # 156262
Bignose13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
obviously you guys are doing something wrong.
For an "in short" Hi-Tec summary… The hitec gyro was very stable, but the piro rate was a little slow for me. I spent 8 months (YES 8 MONTHS) configuring, consulting, testing, experimenting, posting, requesting help… all with an exhaustive, no end solution, to my piro rate expectations (link to 8 month thread). After 8 months, I just decided to cut and move on. I personally believe we have all been more than fair to the Hi-tec gyro product. We all seem to agree that it holds well, and the piro speed may be fine for others.. just not for me. I don’t think that’s bad mouthing… I sum that up as just plain ole’ HeliFreak’ing. Product reviews are the most powerful feature of helifreak for me.

I ordered the Spartan DS760 Gyro and a Futaba S9257 EP heli digital rudder servo, and they are on their way. I will post my results (before and after). I just hope it doesn’t take another 8 months, to produce a result!
TREX 250: Zippy 1000mAh 45C ▪ Spartan DS760 w/290G ▪ HS-65HB ▪ CC25

Last edited by bflores; 05-07-2008 at 02:06 PM..
bflores is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

when you guys say slow pyro rate - can you post a vid of how slow you guys are talking about? i just saw that vid finless posted of curtis - and WOW! i've never seen anything like it... which leads me to my next question to those mentioning slow pyro rate - do you guys do it as fast as curtis? that wasn't a flame, btw, just a question coz i was planning on getting this HG gyro...and i can't even do 3d yet!
muscleflex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes my 450's are set up that way and I can get that kind of piro rate. I dont do it that often (it's hard on the belt) but I like that it is there if I need it. I run 20% expo on rudder so I can get a smooth control of tail around center and a decent general piro rate as I move the stck out. Going full rudder and yes... I get that kind of piro rate.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in