Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Neat connection option for Dell 6650 supply

One of my Dell 6650 supplies just dies on me yesterday. I ordered a new one, and was trying to figure out an easy was of connecting the new supply when I get it.

I had previously soldered 12Ga. wire to three terminals for each connection.

Then I thought I would try to find the actual mating connectors. Found something better.
Dell PE6650 Power Distribution Board (do e-bay search)

This is the backplane board that the supplies plug into. The boards are about $18 and have three connectors. Using this method, you can keep a spare supply, and swap it out in a few minutes. You can even jumper the three pins which active the supplies.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Update, I received the distribution board, and it only has two connectors which fit the power supply (still perfect). The third connector is similar, but a little bigger.

The best thing to do, is cut the circuit board around each connector to separate it. And leave it soldered to the circuit board. Use a hacksaw to cut, and then you need to file the edges smooth to remove any shorts caused by cutting. This is a 10 layer board, so the edges need to be clean. Just solder your large gauge wire to the back of the connector. All of the 12v pins are tied together, same with the grounds

This is very clean.

Dan
Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want the backplanes that go on the Dell 6650 you can source them here........

http://www.questcomp.com/questdetail...gn=FindchipsWS

pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmmm...I wonder if they carry the backplanes for HP 1200FWB's? I wanted to do the same thing as you for my charging cases but the extra cost is a bit prohibitive unless I can get them reliably for under $20. I don't mind soldering, but I like keeping the hot-swapability that they were designed with.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Neat connection option for Dell 6650 supply

You should look. I think the PUB does a better job of connecting all the common pins together, and it makes your harness cleaner. I paid $18 for the Dell board

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I found the part number (491836-001), but apparently it's for a pretty mostly complete backplane which runs around $50-$80. I think if I could just get the slot dimensions and pin spacing I could probably rig up a generic set and call it a day. I just don't know much about the pin sets in order to even get started.

This as close of a first guess as I could make and they're cheap, but I haven't gotten around to ordering them quite yet.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...NNECTOR/1.html

**edit**I just did the measurements of the link I just showed and it's a nearly 100% match! The only questionable size is the space between the pins where the board would fit into the connector. The wear marks on the pin pads show the outline of about 31 pins, so I think these might be a pretty safe bet. I'll post back if I get them and it works out.

**double edit** I put in an order for four of the edgeboard connectors and a few other items. Hopefully by the end of the week I can report back my findings.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Thumbs up

Just passing on the update: I got the parts in today to do the clip-on power cable assembly and it works. I actually think I need to get a 32 pin version instead of the 31, but it's only missing one position which is probably acceptable. I looked all over and found the correct part and it had a pretty good price of around $2.50 apiece excluding shipping. Hopefully I'll be able to get the updated ones for the next batch of them that I want to experiment with, but I'd say it's a pretty solid bet that this is a good alternative to soldering directly onto the supply(ies). Thanks for reinspiring me to keep searching for the right part.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Strip all the control pin connectors out. A servo connector without the housing fits in the control pin hole perfectly. Check out the picture I posted for the back planes.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in