Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Qualified RC Helicopter School in the USA/worldwide

Dear all

I am looking for a qualified RC Helicopter School in the USA for a one or two weeks holiday trip in Summer 2016 in order to learn some new 3D manoveur.
As I could see on the internet the rates are not really cheap. But that is generally not a problem. But I am not willing to spend the money for any person claiming he is the best RC Helicopter Teacher on the world but who can not provide any qualified CV.
Therefore I am looking for a teacher with some flight competition experience and success in the USA or worldwide who runs a flight school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kind regards

Yaya
YAYA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't answer your question directly, but can offer up some food for thought.

First off, a few questions:
-- What is your current skill level (e.g. what maneuvers can you currently do)?
-- What are your flying goals (e.g. specific maneuvers?)
-- How much time do you spend on the SIM (or how much time are you willing to spend on the SIM)
-- What helis do you have?
-- What is your IRL flying frequency?

My opinion is that in general, a 2 week crash course is not going to be as effective as a long term training / practice routine heavily utilizing a SIM.

For example, a move I recently picked up was piro tic tocs. I can do them skids in and skids out, and I can reverse them, but it took me about 4 months of daily SIM time to get there. I don't think I would have made any more progress in 2 weeks no matter who the teacher was.

If you give us some details on the questions above I am sure you will get a lot of info and food for thought.

--Ryan
Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think (no hard evidence to prove it but pretty sure it is that way) that flying RC helicopters is so hard a toll on the brain trying to figure out the coordination that no small amount of training can help. It could help to know the basics and how maneuvers are performed. But to be able to actually make yourself do it takes time. Kyle Stacy, one of the best pilots in the world sims for about 2 hours DAILY to ensure his skills are up to where you see on events or on his multitude of YouTube videos. I am sure you don't expect to fly like Kyle after one course but I wanted to put into perspective how much time is needed of ongoing and constant training to progress.

So I agree with the above recommendations and comments. In addition, you should expect to know what it is but definitely not gain proficiency. It would be a different story with a building and repair course. That I think you can learn on a compressed period of time in a "workshop" type.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 03:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dear Rayan
Dear Toadiscoil

Many thanks for your helping words.

I fully agree to your opinion. But sometimes a little tip from a profi helps a lot. It is more my intention to meet some very qualified people in my holiday and have some heli fun. You are totally right this will not substitute long lessons on the sim. But it could help to find some new motivational aspects.

I fly mild 3d with a T-Rex 700 DFC, SK720, MZ24 and a HCP100s.

Take care and kind regards

YAYA
Old 04-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is likely your best option.

http://freestyle3d.com/
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Ace Dude. I think so.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can recommend Todd Bennet based of first hand experience. He has a lot to offer and will point out some bad habits you should break now. Several years ago I took his class and flew with Tim Jones and Jason Krauss. I think the single biggest impression it made on me was to provide a yardstick for precision. What I thought was the maximum achievable turned out to be only the first floor of a skyscraper.

Later I took a 1:1 class with Todd when I was in LA for other reasons. Even going into the second class as a much better pilot I still learned a lot. If you are in LA, the rates are very reasonable and I'd recommend spending a couple hours with him. Doing it at a fun fly is great too.
aterren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in