Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can't tighten feathering shaft screws without locking up blade grips!?!?

Hi Everyone,

I am going through a used 450X I bought. I went through the feathering shaft and found out the screws were not even tightened. However, when I try to tighten the screws, the blade grips become immovable.

I have double checked the setup and it is correct. From the head block out there is: brass washer with "bump" towards the grip, outer blade grip bearing, blade grip, inner blade grip bearing, large diameter washer, thrust bearing (inner race with larger ID/thrust bearing with balls facing head block, smaller ID race), and then screw w/ washer.

I can barely tighten it without getting notchy or immovable blade grips.

I am confused. Any advice?

The guy I bought it from had one crash and said he replaced the feathering shaft. I just wonder, could he have installed an incorrect feathering shaft? I wonder because there are no spare feathering shafts and don't they come in two packs?

Thanks for your advice!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's quite possible/likely. Grab a set; they're cheap and easy to replace. He might have tried tossing on a feathering shaft from the B400 or B450 3D, which are different part numbers (so at least theoretically different dimensions). Sounds like /something/ is wrong, and that'd be the first place to look... along with making sure the thrust bearing races aren't backward. There's a specific 'inner' and 'outer' race, with a hundredth of a millimeter ID difference (inner is larger).. but normally you end up with there being a ton of play/slop in the grips when that happens.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply! I had a set on order at the lhs so I will grab it tomorrow and try it out. Will report back...
Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1
I had a similar case when trying to rebuild B400 with a TR clone feathering shaft, turned out there was a difference in length about 0.75mm...
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you'll find the wrong feathering shaft was put in. Looks like you have all the other parts in the correct order so that would certainly be the first place to look.
Sambuka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

OMG, the one he had put in was quite a bit smaller than the 450X one! Wow. That is why I do not recommend people buy used unless they go through the heli and know what they are doing, or at least have help.

Supposedly two servos were replaced too so I am going to start from ground zero on setup.

I will try to post a pic later of the size difference. I'm guessing I won't have a problem installing the grips now!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Definitely do a full setup and crash inspection, as well as main motor lash adjustment (just loosen the four motor mount bolts, slide it away from main gear, put a strip of normal paper between main and pinion, push together snugly, tighten bolts (crosswise pattern, standard) then rotate the head to have the gears feed the paper out. Should come out with nice crisp crimps). Also move each servo up and down, if any of them grind or click AT ALL instead of just a smooth whirr, replace the gears.

I'd personally treat it as more of a kit-copter at this point, and check EEEEEEEEVERYTHING, if not do a full disassembly and reassembly/mechanical setup/digital setup after resetting the BX unit to zero (power on, hold BX button until the light goes solid, release. Hold button again until it blinks rapidly, about 10 seconds. Reset to 450X defaults from the 450X manual. Use the AR7200BX manual from the Spektrum website to do setup and parameters again... it's nowhere near as hard as it looks so long as you have a bullseye level ($2 @ home despot, to shim under the skids so the BX is level), the swash tool ($8), and a bevel box or RC Logger pitch gauge ($30-40)).

Check EVERY part for bends, cracks, glue, etc, as it sounds like the person you bought it from is a bit shady to begin with.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talesin: thanks so much for posting this info! My plan was to do all that; I'm especially looking forward to working on the AR7200BX since I'm probably going to put one of these on my unbuilt Align 600 EFL PRO.

Check out the size difference of the FS that was installed...GEEZ!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-7.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	316220  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, you probably could have used a couple of washers and some good lube and it'd been good as new.

Last edited by whodothevoodoo; 05-13-2012 at 09:10 AM..
whodothevoodoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in