Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine did the yo-yo..Turned out to be the cheap stock e-flite servos. It works okay on the bench, but under load it started bouncing. When I'm in a stable hover, it works okay, but as soon as I touch the cyclic to correct, it bounces all over the place. I swapped them out with Hitec servos.

Balbs
balbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow. Never heard of that, and I have been using the cheap stock servos for the past 2 years (same ones).

Are you sure you didn't have stripped gears?
tutelarRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am tending to believe it is the servos also. I can't find anything else wrong. I will say that I did find a few things that I fixed that have helped with the way it flys in general, but have been unable to stop the yo-yo.

If I switch servos to Hitec, what is the suggestion.....HS55's??

BTW, now up to 9 minutes in hover - guess she is getting broken in!
rcglider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are doing great!

Don't overdischarge your batteries - fastest way to shortening their life.

Happy Flying!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutelarRC View Post
Wow. Never heard of that, and I have been using the cheap stock servos for the past 2 years (same ones).

Are you sure you didn't have stripped gears?
I'm tellin' you Tut, You should bronze those servos..... that's amazing. I seriously must have a dozen dead ones hanging on a nail! That doesn't count the ones HH replaced.
WickedDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still working on my little yo-yo machine. I have discovered that if I gently twist the main blades to change pitch, I can see the ball in the swash is moving within the swash. Not just rotating, but moving independently like it has a bunch of slop in its socket. Has anybody else seen this happen? Any way to fix it - or just buy metal swash??

Also, could this be what is causing the yo-yo?
rcglider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes that could be causing the problem.

Time for a new swash.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #28 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutelarRC View Post
Yes that could be causing the problem.
Time for a new swash.

Yep- just when I thought I had this thing working- I too and doing the bounce thing....

I was doing 4" hovers in the living room... real nice... some 10 seconds at a time.. keeping it pretty solid... every few seconds it jumped up ( or down) for seemingly no reason at all..... 2 -3 " at a time....

I have to take apart the blade grips and look at the beathering shaft... maybe I messed up the washers the last time I had it apart...

are all collective pitch helis this delicate? Are some made more rugged with less moving parts?
Tux62 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yup - feathering shaft bent again..... not by much.... JUST a bit- I can see it wobble when it rolls on the table
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Tux

No.... all CP helis are not that touchy! The bigger the heli, generally, the less touchy and more forgiving they get, but most micros are tough! Even helis like the Trex250 and Gaui 200 which are very nice high-end versions, are from what I've heard and seen in vids, pretty tricky too.

I believe that it comes down to a matter of proportions and tolerences. It's a big world out there for a 200-250 class heli! It's also harder to mass produce smaller parts with the same precision. Even the same amount of "slop" is more significant to our Blades than to a 450 or larger class heli.

I'm sure you've seen other posts I've made...... I've spent a lot of money and time trying to make my Blade consistantly filght worthy. They're little, they're fragile, they're really, really frustrating and most of the time they're pretty awesome too........ once you get it right!

I put mine back together yesterday (FINALLY!!!) and I've got weird tail problems (go figure) too much tail..... I don't believe that I've ever had this happen...... this IS a Blade and it has too much tail!!! I'm gonna try reprogramming the gyro..... settings didn't change.

Here's the bottom line...... whether you hop it up or not, if you can set up a BladeCPx so that it flys consistantly (for a Blade) and you can fly a Blade........ you can setup and fly just about anything! The LHS guy here has gone as far as saying that "if you can hover a Blade, you can fly right out on a Mini-Titan or Raptor 50". This guy has been flying for over 25 years and can take off and hover a Blade in the aisle of the shop!!

Hang in there......
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedDragon View Post
Here's the bottom line...... whether you hop it up or not, if you can set up a BladeCPx so that it flys consistantly (for a Blade) and you can fly a Blade........ you can setup and fly just about anything! The LHS guy here has gone as far as saying that "if you can hover a Blade, you can fly right out on a Mini-Titan or Raptor 50". This guy has been flying for over 25 years and can take off and hover a Blade in the aisle of the shop!! Hang in there......

Thought I "had" the darn thing...
Had it hovering in a 8' x 8' clearing... a few seconds at a time, and a few inches off the ground- and everything was great, except that sudden jumping- I had a feeling it may be the feathering shaft because it just happened between 4-6" off the ground- if I kept below that it was OK... mechanically, it made sense.....

it's just that here it is apart again on my desk and I haven't drained a single battery pack, you know?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux62 View Post

it's just that here it is apart again on my desk and I haven't drained a single battery pack, you know?
I DO know!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
I DO know!
Seems like all I ever do is cry on your shoulder.. Sorry about that... don't mean to come off like a major-league crybaby whiner.

You know, almost every time I go into the hobby shop- the same guy is there buying parts for his E-Flite MCx that he crashes continuously...... how he breaks flybars all the time, I have NO idea... I fly through at least one, and usually two batteries in my MCx every day.. at least one battery a week on my CX3... No breakages for a long time... I think I may need to replace a battery in the Mcx- I have two and one doesn't last as long as the other (significantly) .. but I don't have a problem with this- I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of it..

Keep feeling like the "fun part" of the CP heli is JUST within my reach.....
This last flight- I really felt like I had a grip on the controls... I've really been practicing with the sim and the Esky USB controller and I think it made the difference- getting used to a controlled with a longer throw on the sticks.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never a problem. Seriously, hang in there Charlie. For me learning to fly RC helis is like when I was learning to ski...... you try repeatedly to do something; you fail or do it poorly to a point where you're ready to chuck it all..... then all of a sudden, you don't think so much about it or are a little more relaxed and BANG.... you can do it. I think it has something to do with your left brain trying to convince your right brain that it needs to handle this instinctively. The sim helps this.

There is nothing easy about what we're doing. Keep it in perspective. Discounting that it's pretty amazing that these things can fly to begin with and need to be setup properly, you're learning how to think differently..... in 3D with an unfixed visual reference. Along with age and hopefully wisdom, it's harder to expand on the eye/hand coordination you've been using up until now! You have no "seat of the pants" orientation or feel, it's all visual input to which you have to react.

Like with mine.... I've got everything right, again and I'm having problems with the tail, again! Almost ready to ditch the motored tail!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #35 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
For me learning to fly RC helis is like when I was learning to ski......
No thanks- I've broken more than enough bones playing with motorcycles...

Quote:
repeatedly to do something; you fail or do it poorly to a point where you're ready to chuck it all.....
Oh..... been there brother... been there!

Quote:
you don't think so much about it or are a little more relaxed and BANG.... you can do it. I think it has something to do with your left brain trying to convince your right brain that it needs to handle this instinctively. The sim helps this.
This is true- and I think my Heli experience has helped with the RC Cars as well.. same type of thing- just one less "D".... heh

Quote:
Like with mine.... I've got everything right, again and I'm having problems with the tail, again! Almost ready to ditch the motored tail!
So I guess the next step is a belt-driven tail?
That would add another servo and control-rod.... belt... another collective pitch to adjust... wouldn't that make it even MORE complex?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah..... belted tail, would be the next step. The gyro/servo combination is most times easier to deal with than the gyro/esc setup.

Yard work took priority so I didn't get to play with it yesterday. Tail was okay last time I flew, now at mid stick the tail is screaming; there's more rudder for right turns, but can't get it to shut down at mid-stick..... crazy. Think it might be the gyro.

I'm ready to break out the trucks!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #37 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yard work took priority so I didn't get to play with it yesterday. Tail was okay last time I flew, now at mid stick the tail is screaming; there's more rudder for right turns, but can't get it to shut down at mid-stick..... crazy. Think it might be the gyro. I'm ready to break out the trucks!

Should the tail shut off at mid-stick??? Seems to me it should shut off when the stick is to the left....???

Yeah, I agree... break out the trucks! You go brushless on those pups?
Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux62 View Post
Should the tail shut off at mid-stick??? Seems to me it should shut off when the stick is to the left....???

Yeah, I agree... break out the trucks! You go brushless on those pups?
If the heli isn't rotating to the right, the tail should be quiet. It has nothing to "stop". In the past, I could slowly return the rudder to center and the tail would stay stopped..... not anymore!

Yup! Novak Brushless GTB & Velociti 5.5's with SMC 4600 matched packs on the truckies! They scream! I was going to go with the CC Mamba Max..... but with the possibility of cogging went with the Novak sensored system. Very nice! It's fun to see my lil Rustlers pass tricked out 1/8 Nitro Truggies in the back straight like they were standing still! Check 'em out on my sites...... chassis stuff is the same, but the pix are still with the brushed motors! Paint jobs STILL pending!! If I could get a damn heli in the air, maybe I could get some painting done!!!! Rustlers RULE!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #39 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
If the heli isn't rotating to the right, the tail should be quiet. It has nothing to "stop". In the past, I could slowly return the rudder to center and the tail would stay stopped..... not anymore!
Hmm... I'll have to look at mine.... I was pretty sure the tail is still a-hummin' at center stick....

[QUOTE=WickedDragon;1377269]
Check 'em out on my sites...... chassis stuff is the same, but the pix are still with the brushed motors! Paint jobs STILL pending!! If I could get a damn heli in the air, maybe I could get some painting done!!!! Rustlers RULE!!! /QUOTE]

You can check mine out in my profile pictures-
What's your opinion of the Associated RC-18T ?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You should be able to stop the tail rotor when the heli is at rest.

Nice toys and the 18T is pretty neat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in