Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's not the ratcheting strap that's causing the sticky throttle. It's the smooth strap against the smooth part of the gimbal that feels sticky.

The ratchet strap isn't engaged with the gimbal unless you tighten it down against it, and this mod has nothing to do with the ratcheting feature.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

A week later and my throttle is still perfectly smooth. I hope this mod lasts. My biggest concern is that it comes loose during flight and causes a crash.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

TheMark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Just applied this mod to my DX9 and can only say the difference is amazing.

Was pretty much smooth before but WOW after doing this mod it is now buttery smooth.

Many thanks to the OP.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same for me! I used the Plumbers tape teflon last night, and flew 4 flights today.

The cool thing is you can even tighten the strip down much more that what was being used before, and still be very smooth. The reason I ran mine so loose was to prevent the sticking feeling from a stop, and now I can fine tune using any resistance I want and still be good
Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have to say this mod is awesome so thanks to the OP for posting the idea.

I have done this to my DX8 and DX9, the difference is amazing. I got a roll of teflon tape which has an adhesive backing, just cut to size then peel off the backing and it stuck fine to the metal strip after I degreased it .
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTC02 View Post
Have to say this mod is awesome so thanks to the OP for posting the idea.

I have done this to my DX8 and DX9, the difference is amazing. I got a roll of teflon tape which has an adhesive backing, just cut to size then peel off the backing and it stuck fine to the metal strip after I degreased it .
Do you have a link to the tape?
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 02:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Do you have a link to the tape?
I can't find the exact listing, the seller I bought from had a choice of sizes but it was similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/heat-vacuu...item3f36431dea

I'm sure you could get it from eBay in the USA.

Edit:
Maybe this would be ok?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PTFE-Teflo...item35d4be2f1a
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.

Last edited by JohnTC02; 05-27-2014 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: Added new link
Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Spektrum TX Teflon Smooth Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHeli View Post
I just found this
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshr...ing/teflon.htm
Found some other sites but they sold in 100 ft rolls, , no help.

The above site will sell in 4 foot lengths for about $4, I didn't check the S&H.
Features of PTFE Heat shrink:

Continuous operating temperature -454°F to 500°F (-270°C to 260°C)
Outstanding resistance to almost any chemical known (exceptions: alkali metals in molten state, fluorine gas at high temperatures, chlorine trifluoride).
FDA and USP Class VI approved
Very low coefficient of friction
Good dielectric strength
Flame rating UL94 V0 and VW-1
Limiting Oxygen Index greater than 95
ETO and autoclave sterilizable
Mil spec approved (AMS-DTL-23052/12)
A few notes on shrinking PTFE:
1) Always assure good ventilation in the immediate work area prior to beginning the heat shrink process. Fumes may cause nausea and dizziness.
2) It is imperative that the tubing be heated uniformly until it becomes clear (gel state). This transition from crystalline to amorphous must take place, since shrinkage will only occur during recovery from the gel state (re-crystallizing).
3) When using a mandrel to shrink the tubing, it is important to pre-heat the mandrel to assure even and uniform shrinkage.
4) If the tubing begins to crack, chances are you overheated the material.
5) Also, higher shrink ratios will require higher shrink temperatures.
Did you try this? I'm really uncomfortable with my current mod.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I've used PTFE tubing on tail CF pushrods and it's pretty stiff when shrunk. I'd be afraid that it wouldn't conform to the shape of the spring very well.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish someone with the creativity and tools could produce a replacement spring made of a different (more slick) material.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've thought of this myself. In fact, I think just a strip of teflon, with just the right thickness/dimensions, and holes drilled for the screws would work great. I used to work for an industrial pump supply company, and we had teflon diaphragms that would probably be just right for this. I've been thinking of buying one and trying it out.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used the cheap teflon plumbers tape from Wal-Mart a few days ago and WOW, what a difference! Smooth as silk from top to bottom, regardless of how much tension I dial in! I'm going to try the "pressing cloth" mod tonight and see if it's any better. The plumbers tape is very flimsy and I don't think it'll hold up, long term. I bought some "Non-stick pressing sheet" from Joanne's. The brand name is Dritz, I believe. Will report back here this weekend.
Ricka1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricka1 View Post
I used the cheap teflon plumbers tape from Wal-Mart a few days ago and WOW, what a difference! Smooth as silk from top to bottom, regardless of how much tension I dial in! I'm going to try the "pressing cloth" mod tonight and see if it's any better. The plumbers tape is very flimsy and I don't think it'll hold up, long term. I bought some "Non-stick pressing sheet" from Joanne's. The brand name is Dritz, I believe. Will report back here this weekend.
Please do. I have the same pressing sheet sitting around but haven't done the mod yet.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another option I have discovered are teflon coated, reusable baking or "cookie" sheets
They are much easier to find in Walmart, etc cooking utensil section, vs the pressing sheets in my area.

http://www.amazon.com/Regency-Reusab...ie+sheet+liner
Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Spektrum TX Teflon Smooth Throttle Mod

I actually got it done this evening. Man, is this an improvement! I was running the collective looser than I really liked it so it would be smooth. Now it's a little stiffer and still buttery smooth.

Here's what the spring looked like after the mod (but before attaching the adjustable end).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402712350.845410.jpg
Views:	3049
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	515608   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402712491.278000.jpg
Views:	3722
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	515609  
Graupner MZ-32

Last edited by TheBum; 06-14-2014 at 07:40 AM..
Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Done the Teflon mod on my DX8 and 9, the difference I night and day.

Saying that, Spektrum needs to take a leaf out of Mikado's book, the collective stick on the new VController is way better than my modded DX radios.

All the years Spektrum have been making these radios I think it's time they learnt how to make a simple smooth stick.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That looks great Bum! I'm still using the plumbers tape with good results. Been busy flying, or just busy, and haven't got the pressing sheet installed yet. Should have it done before the weekend.

Is that fuel tubing holding the sheet in place? I used heat shrink on the plumbers tape and didn't run the screw through the end of the material. Will definitely do that next time. I think the tape is deteriorating and slipping some.
Ricka1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricka1 View Post
Is that fuel tubing holding the sheet in place? I used heat shrink on the plumbers tape and didn't run the screw through the end of the material. Will definitely do that next time. I think the tape is deteriorating and slipping some.
Yep, that's fuel tubing. I actually hadn't planned to run the screw through the sheet, but just as I was about to cut off the excess, I realized it would help keep the sheet in place.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 07-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys, after buying a DX9 myself and not being overly happy with the sticky throttle I found this thread through google....thanks alot to the OP for the idea. A couple of us have tried the mod ourselves over on archeli with great success (see page 3 for pics) http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/sho...58#post1596858

Can highly recommend this mod, very quick and simple for a buttery smooth throttle!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckermatt View Post
Hi guys, after buying a DX9 myself and not being overly happy with the sticky throttle I found this thread through google....thanks alot to the OP for the idea. A couple of us have tried the mod ourselves over on archeli with great success (see page 3 for pics) http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/sho...58#post1596858

Can highly recommend this mod, very quick and simple for a buttery smooth throttle!
Hi tucker, I'm not a member at Rebels - but is there any chance I can drop by one weekend and get a small piece of this Teflon sheet from you. If that's okay, feel free to PM me to organise a day that suits you.
I do go to Rebels on occasions to watch you guys. My 8yr old loves the Goblins.
Cheers mate
heli smasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in