Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I get HV servos for Trex 500?

Hello freaks,

I hope you can give me some advice on HV servos, Iv been thinking to get a set of RJX for cyclic and wondering what difference its gonna make.
On paper its gonna have more torque and speed. But what happens in flight? is the difference worth 300$?

And in terms of disc load and torque, can anyone inform me approximately how much torque does it take to change a blade's pitch at 2500RPM?

My current servos have 4.60 kg-cm, yet they are able to throw the heli around, so why would I need 8 or 9 kg-cm?
I just want to be more of in the picture of whats going on during the flight.

Thank you,

Faisal Heli's
FaisalHeli's is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are they needed? No. But, like you, I've also been thinking about upgrading to HV. The big benefit is that the helicopter won't struggle to get to any commanded pitch. It should feel more locked in, because the servos will respond to the FBL controller's inputs faster, and more precisely. You need to determine if that's worth $300 to you.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
Are they needed? No. But, like you, I've also been thinking about upgrading to HV. The big benefit is that the helicopter won't struggle to get to any commanded pitch. It should feel more locked in, because the servos will respond to the FBL controller's inputs faster, and more precisely. You need to determine if that's worth $300 to you.
Thank you for the reply Gladius,
I think I better invest in a TT conversion for now, mine is a belt drive and I am always worried about static and applying silicone grease. With time this method is getting my tail case filled with grease which ends up loosening screws.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If that helps, I use silicone spray on my belted helis, not grease.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think I better invest in a TT conversion for now,
Run the ESP gear ratio and install Hallo 450mm blades..... The hole heavy disc load goes away......
I don't own a TT bird....... Never had a problem with a belt , and no I don't spray it ........If your want more belt.... stronger that is look into the Thunder Tiger belt mods for the Heli..... I have seen some flying around running the Thunder Tiger belt drive.... Seems to be a better belt.

AWAY..

PUT THAT MONEY IN SERVO'S and swing some 450mm !!!!

MGPTWEGB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it boils down to headspeed - if you need the power and pop of insanely highspeeds - than yes - get the highend hv - and the Lower tail ratio of the TT....

If you fly at more moderate speeds - then the belt is more than sufficient - actually preferred because of the higher tail speeds - and the benefit from those high end servos goes away.....

-

And you dont have to do the grease - all you have to do is get the boom to carbon frame circuit connection - and nature will do the rest -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAIL GROUND.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	611108  
Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
And you dont have to do the grease - all you have to do is get the boom to carbon frame circuit connection - and nature will do the rest -
I used copper shielding tape......sand a spot on both ends of the boom at the contact location.....

MGPTWEGB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm going to make an assumption here, and that is you are running some kind of BEC off your main flight pack, most likely the Align ESC with built in BEC.

If that is so, then you will not see much, if any improvement in servo performance by installing HV servos, as they will only be running on the same 6 volts that your normal servos will be using. I really haven't looked at any kind of HV servos for anything smaller than a 600 sized heli but if you don't run them at 7.4 to 8.2 volts, you might even see lesser performance than a dedicated LV servo.

I have been running two 500 sized helis for about 5 years now, both of which are now DFC, and the only servos I have ever run on them are 510s and 510Ms. I haven't ever felt like they were even remotely not doing their job.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running a BEC off my flight pack, but not the Align BEC. I'm actually running the Castle BEC Pro, so I can adjust the voltage to whatever I need. The issue I've been seeing is that the heli wobbles quite a bit in transition from positive to negative pitch during tic tocs. I doubt it's just because of my servos, but I've been wondering if some stronger and faster servos would help.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am running a BEC off my flight pack, but not the Align BEC. I'm actually running the Castle BEC Pro, so I can adjust the voltage to whatever I need. The issue I've been seeing is that the heli wobbles quite a bit in transition from positive to negative pitch during tic tocs. I doubt it's just because of my servos, but I've been wondering if some stronger and faster servos would help.
Gladius, that wobble could also blade related. Or have the current blades behaved well in the past?
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm. If the problem was the blades, then it won't be an issue, since I dumb thumbed the heli a couple of weeks ago. But they had been balanced, and the heli was actually running about the smoothest it's ever been.

I think the real culprit is the rotor gain in my VX1e. But, like I said, it's got me wondering if new servos would help. I'm not ready to dump a couple hundred dollars into new servos yet though.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidla View Post
If that helps, I use silicone spray on my belted helis, not grease.
Yes sir it's what use, WD40 silicone spray
Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGPTWEGB View Post
Run the ESP gear ratio and install Hallo 450mm blades..... The hole heavy disc load goes away......
I don't own a TT bird....... Never had a problem with a belt , and no I don't spray it ........If your want more belt.... stronger that is look into the Thunder Tiger belt mods for the Heli..... I have seen some flying around running the Thunder Tiger belt drive.... Seems to be a better belt.

AWAY..

PUT THAT MONEY IN SERVO'S and swing some 450mm !!!!

The 450mm blades sound good but wouldn't they be too big for trex500? I like the idea though.
My problem is not with belt weakness, rather static charge and I grounding it is a solution. However, I ordered a TT for that it's better in autorotation and smokother over all, less vibes.
I have RJX mini HV on the way as well
Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm getting RJX servos because to be honest I like to pop the heli a lot rather than soft 3d. In tictocs I find servos kind of lagging or not giving a good punch when I flick it.
I'm running CC bec as well and BK HV on the tail, as you mentioned, HV's are best on 7.4 V and higher. That's another reason to get the HV servos.

An upgrade I did with my 500 that might be a bit useful for the case mentioned is HeliOptions integrated main shaft. Leaving aside the radial and thrust bearing provided in it, it gave my frame a lot of rigidity and overall in flight smoothness.

I run about 2500 RPM with a 15T pinion. I went with 15T to make 2500 easier for the motor.
And ever since I changed my ESC to CC edge 100 ( i know its a bit too much for 500MX but things have never been better in terms of motor performance.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalHeli's View Post
The 450mm blades sound good but wouldn't they be too big for trex500? I like the idea though.
My problem is not with belt weakness, rather static charge and I grounding it is a solution. However, I ordered a TT for that it's better in autorotation and smokother over all, less vibes.
I have RJX mini HV on the way as well
Look into the metal I2RC boom block assembly. It's amazing. And it's metal, so everything will have continuity from tail to chassis. You'll never guess but it IS LIGHTER than the stock plastic boom block assembly. It makes changing a broken boom a breeeeze. All in all a fantastic upgrade.

I've never had static issues with my belted 500. And I have electrical continuity from tail box to motor mount.

http://www.rc-tek.com/store/i2rc-tre...unt-p2248.html
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Look into the metal I2RC boom block assembly. It's amazing. And it's metal, so everything will have continuity from tail to chassis. You'll never guess but it IS LIGHTER than the stock plastic boom block assembly. It makes changing a broken boom a breeeeze. All in all a fantastic upgrade.

I've never had static issues with my belted 500. And I have electrical continuity from tail box to motor mount.

http://www.rc-tek.com/store/i2rc-tre...unt-p2248.html

It definitely blings, and looks nice. But is it really worth spending more than 70$ if you include tax and shipping? And how would it make changing the boom any easier ?
I wouldn't buy it..
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalHeli's View Post
It definitely blings, and looks nice. But is it really worth spending more than 70$ if you include tax and shipping? And how would it make changing the boom any easier ?
I wouldn't buy it..
Is any amount of money for upgrades really worth it for a hobby?

It's your money, spend as you wish. I was just suggesting for electrical continuity purposes for the sake of potential belt drive static with the plastic boom block.

* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the i2rc boom mount when my stock plastic boom developed some wear. It wasn't gripping the boom very well, and I was getting some pretty bad tail wag because of it. The i2rc mount grips the boom much more securely. There are 3 screws that you can access without having to pull the entire mount out of the heli, and the boom slides right out. Also, to change the tail drive gear, you take out the 4 screws on top (The TT version only has 2 screws), and you can pull out the drive gear. You can adjust the mesh on both the drive gear, and the TT umbrella gear.

None of the i2rc stuff is cheap, but it does make the heli fly better. You just need to decide what that's worth to you. And there's nothing wrong with saying that the i2rc stuff is too expensive for you.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Is any amount of money for upgrades really worth it for a hobby?

It's your money, spend as you wish. I was just suggesting for electrical continuity purposes for the sake of potential belt drive static with the plastic boom block.

I agree, upgrades are expansive, but usually I try to go with something that will increase performance or change a drastic problem. In terms of getting rid of the static, if I am to spend that money I'd rather get a TT which I did. After all there is performance enhancement in the TT. But if I want to stick with the belt, there are solutions that are a lot cheaper.

It is a very easy solution, the upgrade, and it looks nice. However its just my personal opinion that I think for that amount of money a TT is more efficient.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I got the i2rc boom mount when my stock plastic boom developed some wear. It wasn't gripping the boom very well, and I was getting some pretty bad tail wag because of it. The i2rc mount grips the boom much more securely. There are 3 screws that you can access without having to pull the entire mount out of the heli, and the boom slides right out. Also, to change the tail drive gear, you take out the 4 screws on top (The TT version only has 2 screws), and you can pull out the drive gear. You can adjust the mesh on both the drive gear, and the TT umbrella gear.

None of the i2rc stuff is cheap, but it does make the heli fly better. You just need to decide what that's worth to you. And there's nothing wrong with saying that the i2rc stuff is too expensive for you.

Well now its more justified. I didn't know about this easy access, especially in terms of changing the gear. Its true it was mentioned but not explained. It is on the list for now, but its gonna be a project for next year maybe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the plastic(stock) tail case doesn't allow setting gear mesh?

I've done a lot with my 500 this year, absolute transformation. It went flybarless, Ikon, CC ESC, CC bec pro, BK tail servo, and now (still waiting for them to arrive) RJX's for cyclic and TT.
I've seen the flybarless head from I2rc when I was looking for an FBL head to my 500, It looked very rigid and extremely well designed head. Again problem was it was too expansive. So I decided to go with the 500L head. I tried to avoid DFC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in