Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Printed one on photo paper tonight

I'm going to build 1 or 2 before custom printing at the photo booth.

Printed one up an hour ago been cutting and trimming. looking good so far
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I might never buy a goblin now!! All I needed were those looks and that green awesomeness with the box tail!!

I thank you for this a million times!! Lol I will try this out!!
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gedexas

Thanks much for the .bmp zip file,,, worked perfectly, was able to edit and resize in ACDSEE. Would be way cool if you can photoshop and up the dpi tomorrow too

thanks again
mike4406 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ok once more... i dont have photoprinter or paper.. lol ordering from walgreens.. what size should i order???
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
3vw
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi again,

Wow, things are taking off now in many directions.

Reading through what some of you have posted regarding the fit for BL MCPx and using 550 batteries has got me confessing that I really didn't base my Full MCPX Goblin Canopy design to accommodate this. Somehow I rapped everything around the stock version and neglected the added need for the BL setup. I know I showed the finish model with the HP03 tail motor but that was only added after I was finished for the photos ( I just received those BL tail parts from Dylan the other day ). As mentioned, I've only been flying my Ultra Micro MCPx Goblin design and that canopy pattern has worked out just fine with the BL setup using 300 Nanotech batteries.

FWIW Here's a pic of how the 300 Nano looked (mounted inside) in the process of designing the Full MCPX Goblin canopy...

You can go ahead and print the design bigger to try and make it work (for the larger batteries) but I wouldn't do that. I personally wouldn't be satisfied with the overall look myself. What I"ll have to do is redesign the front end (top & bottom) with these issues in mind and see what I can come up with. Give me a few days and I'll offer an update.

In the mean time, I'll still go ahead and share the technique that I use to assemble my canopies and this might help some of you who are wondering how I get it to look so good... just like flying, practice makes perfect.

Believe me when I say I've done a lot of practicing to get what I've shared with you here... ha ha

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paperpile.jpg
Views:	5416
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	306799   Click image for larger version

Name:	300Mah.jpg
Views:	6090
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	306810  
3vw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is ALOT of practice.

I only have a stock mCPx and one with a 120SR tail, I also use the 300mAh microheli batteries. I will try to make improvements where possible if there are any issues with how the heli fits in the canopy, but I can't do anything for those with brushless fit problems.
Gedexas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
3vw
Registered Users

Since a picture paints a thousand words I'll use them...

Here are the tape(s) I use for constructing canopies. Also, a nice longnose tweezers is THE tool to have for working with applying all those tiny tape tabs... especially when doing the final nose piece assembly inside the canopy... I wouldn't be able to do what I do without those tweezers!

Since I found Kapton Tape, I now love to use it for all my assembling. It's expensive ($20 for 3/4" x 36 yards) but I just can't go ahead without it. I use it to not only back all the paper before cutting out the parts but also for making all the different tabs for butting/holding the seems together (I use 1/4" Kapton for that).

I purchase the Kapton Tape from www.tcsdcc.com

I also like using Scotch Removable Tape for various temporary hold down issues when needed... this comes in handy when starting that nose section of the canopy (see pic later on below).

Scotch Removable Tape I got from Office Depot

To permanantly hold things together I like 3M Indoor Mounting Tape. It's a thin 1/4" wide double face tape that will be used to hold the tail section to the body when finishing.

3M Indoor Mounting Tape is available at Ace hardware

OK,

First Pic... Rough cut out the 6 pieces. (note: updated, now there are 7 total pieces... tail is split)

Next I cover the back of all the paper/pieces with Kapton tape and then cut to size. Next, I take a black marker and color all the white edges before I assemble them (this makes a big difference on how the finish look comes out, so take the time to do it).

This is also a good time to punch the mounting holes out if you have a hole punch.

I now cut the 1/4" wide Kapton tape into strips/tabs of various lengths and use them to bring the seems together as I go. I start with the bottom strip and work my way to the front. Then, I attach the upper body to the lower body starting at the front and work my way to the back. Repeat again for the other side. Note, the big "G" of the word Goblin overhangs on to the lower part (as you assemble the sides) and I simply attach it down with a tiny piece of the 3M double face to hold it down.

Once both sides are finished now it's time to bring the two halves together. I start at the front (taking time to carefully line the 2 points up) and just continue to tape the 2 halves together.

Now comes the part that people say they have problems with... the blending of the nose piece. I start by taping down (on the inside) the nose piece to match the width of the two fingers that come up from the bottom piece. Then I take a piece of that removable tape and put it over the outside before starting to tape it all together on the inside. I can then begin to pre- bend the nose section and it holds tight to the two fingers as I now work on the inside to put/pull it together... this has worked great for me!

I just kind of hold the canopy upside down in the palm of my hand and alternately tape the sides together with about 1/4" x 1/4" tabs of Kapton tape. Oh, the nice thing about using the Kapton tape for the tabs and having the paper backed in Kapton... is that if something is wrong during assembly it can easily be removed and redone... this is where this tape (and the tweezers) is indispensible for me and it just works wonderful.

I'm running out of time for today so I'll have to finish posting tomorrow on how I handle attaching the tail section.

I hope this helps some of you to understand what is done to acheive the results I get. It really isn't hard if you use the right tape & tools and put in a little practice. Just like flying, you'll get better at it as you practice and reap the rewards.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	6405
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	306916   Click image for larger version

Name:	rough cut.jpg
Views:	6732
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	306917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kapton backed.jpg
Views:	6173
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	306918   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Assm.jpg
Views:	6155
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	306919   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Assm.jpg
Views:	6096
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	306920  

Name:	3 Assm.jpg
Views:	6068
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	306925   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Assm.jpg
Views:	6003
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	306926   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Assm.jpg
Views:	6023
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	306927   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 AssmJPG.jpg
Views:	6006
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	306928   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Assm.jpg
Views:	6069
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	306929  

Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

3vw, with your permission, may I modify that pdf template and post my own creation of this paper build?
Unholyfire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is awesome and thank you for making it. I made mine black and white as my paper canopies usually come out like crap, but not this one. However, it is way too small for my mCP X. I guess between my Xtreme frame and RDLohr's 3 in 1 mount, it didn't even make it half way up the frame, so here it is mounted on a bare frame.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Goblin mCP X 001.jpg
Views:	5452
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	306977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goblin mCP X 002.jpg
Views:	5216
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	306978  
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's my goblinized Walkera Mini CP. Everything fit perfectly, the only change needed was the mounting holes.

benboy207 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #51 (permalink)
3vw
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholyfire View Post
3vw, with your permission, may I modify that pdf template and post my own creation of this paper build?
Yes, you may and thank you for asking!

What would be great is if someone who has graphic skills & SW that could take the finished blank profile and they could fill in the graphics with a really nice high quality/res images.

I had a member ask me for my raw files because they wanted to work on them supposedly to change colors. That would be great also to see but I really don't have any better file to share than what I already posted. Sadly, that is my limitation.

------

I really like the pics guys and it's great to finally see others making this thing... Thanks!

------

Good news... I've been redesigning the front end and not only making it a bit bigger but expanding the area to accommodate a 550 (maybe even a 600) battery!

I can pretty much change anything on this design since I know how to, now. If this next version is'nt right (enough) I'll just make another one and it'll keep getting better!

Maybe the answer isn't just one design but 2 or more to suit the type of battery you're using. Just keep in mind that the profile/look of the canopy will change slightly with these modifications... But hopefully they'll all look good. Goblin beauty is only in the eye of the beholder
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for your works on the design, and thanks for my second Goblin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20120412-WA0000.jpg
Views:	4702
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	307146  
Askalon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

thank you for this awesome design, i couldn't resist and
printed out the plans on 160gr/meter paper, printed
it with my own inkjet printer
glued it with paper tabs and UHU creative glue, the whole canopy weighs only 1.5 grams
this is what i came up with:

thank you man, i really like your design!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3540 (1704 x 1278).jpg
Views:	5910
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	307158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3542 (1704 x 1278).jpg
Views:	5247
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	307159  
Gaui X3\Ikon\Talon 35\460MX
bendisar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

This paper canopy is beautiful!

I don't suppose you could do a tiny 7HV?
(maybe a .7HV?)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

at some point the OP should post the best version in Paper Canopy Thread
and take the credit where due.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well here is my attempt. I used overhead transparency and covered it with some 3M clear adheisive sheet I had left over from another project to protect the ink on the transparency. I like the fact the blue light comes through but the color is way to light. I'll have to see how good or poor the visibility will be while flying.

Here is another shot with the battery disconnected
GeKu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #57 (permalink)
3vw
Registered Users

Hi Guy's

More Pics of finished Goblin's, GREAT!

I really enjoy seeing what everyone comes up with and appreciate you posting the pics. I'm also happy that the pattern is working for most of you but reading about the issue of using larger batteries and them not fitting bothered me... so I fixed it and came up with an updated body design that should now accommodate everyone.

When I first thought about making the canopy larger to fit a 550 or even a 600Mah I thought it wouldn't look right. Making it bigger would throw off the profile and the front end (body) would look too big for the tail (length).

Well, after making my initial prototype today I'm quite pleased with the results... here are some comparison pics for you to see what I came up with.

FYI It will take me a couple days to get the final pattern(s) done and through the print shop so hang in there again and I'll post the updated file as soon as I can for all of you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	500Mah.jpg
Views:	5506
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	307266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update1.jpg
Views:	5707
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	307267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update2.jpg
Views:	5518
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	307268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update3.jpg
Views:	5664
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	307269  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are a few I am working on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seahawk-1.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	307282   Click image for larger version

Name:	seahawk-2.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	307283  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well apparently I'm "ok" at designing these things, but I suck at origami lol!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CameraZOOM-20120412224614354.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	307312  
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholyfire View Post
Well apparently I'm "ok" at designing these things, but I suck at origami lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in