Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters

Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters Electric Micro Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default RC Tek Diablo/Skyshark

So I have been pouring over everything I can find on the 'net about the RC Tek Diablo/Skyshark. Yeah, I have been wanting a T-rex because of the quality as I understand it, but to be honest I don't really want to get what everyone else has. The RC Tek offerings are intriguing, they seem to be pretty good from what I have read. LHS support is irrelevant because I have no LHS, so anything I get I will have to order parts for. I am still in the "considering" phase, trying to do as much research as possible. No one flies around here, no LHS, all I have is these forums for info. I am torn between the Skyshark and the Diablo. I know they are very similar, just slightly different frame material and color. I actually am leaning towards the Skyshark because of the muted color (or lack of color) scheme. I liked the all red bling of the Diablo, but the Skyshark looks a little more classy. I figure all silver with a bright (that I would paint) canopy would be more helpful with orientation than an all red helicopter (but that red bling is difficult to resist I admit).

I could drop the cash for either one, but I have some stuff for sale to offset the cost and I am waiting on that. Decisions....
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I like the bling!!!

Last edited by brovic777; 10-02-2007 at 02:59 AM..
brovic777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Will it have at least a motor and esc, or is it just the airframe? Any reason why you are wanting to get rid of it?
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I need to start saving money so I can get ready for the Align 500.

Last edited by brovic777; 10-02-2007 at 01:52 AM..
Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got mine in the mail today. I'm gonna do a review soon.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

******, your heli is compelling, but if I can get a new Skyshark with motor/esc and case with tools for $379 to the door, its kinda hard to want to spend 250 bones on a used airframe. I do like your setup with the combination of Diablo, Skyshark, and some Align bits in there. I'll think about it though, as it might be nice to start with a bare airframe.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you get the new kit, you might want to get a better motor with more punch and a better ESC. The stock motor and esc is really good for somebody just starting to fly.

Last edited by brovic777; 10-02-2007 at 01:52 AM..
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

******-
I do not think you ever tested our current motor and 40A ESC...

The motor is good for sport flying and light 3D (most flyers), but there are more powerful options out there like the Scorpion that are probably a better choice for hard 3D. Our RCT-40AGL ESC will handle any motor up to the ESC's rated limits and do it very well - regardless of the motor used.

Scott

Last edited by Scott_RC-TEK; 10-01-2007 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: typos!
Scott_RC-TEK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I want to know how that offset flybar control point actually works. It would seem to me that any flybar seesaw action would cancel out some of the flybar input. Therefore, you need to seriously over-drive the flybar input to get the desired result.

The only other explanation that I can think of is the effect of gyroscopic precession. The teeter doesn't happen until 90° later, so during that point in rotation, the flybar input is actually neutral. Am I geting warmer?

I'd love to see one IRL and turn that head around to see how it interacts with that offset. It's actually a form of positive Delta offset similar to that used on main blade pitch arms to effect the disk behavior in winds and fast forward flight.
ErichF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The offset ball location (13mm in from the edge of the cage on current units) is simply to allow for more pitch range when compared to the original "hoop" control design. There was no other performance goal in mind when we decided to put this alternative flybar control mechanism into production. In our testing, there was no loss of flybar input and only a small amount of interaction was felt by a few test pilots (back when the balls were 9mm from the edge). In fact, most of our impressive videos were made with the helicopter set up that way. Regardless, using a 220mm flybar rod with 6-7g paddles does add to the stability performance of the flybar system.

Scott-
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks ******. Since I am still learning, the stock motor will be enough for the time being. Down the road I'll get another one if need be, and hand-me-down the stocker to my Falcon. I need to just order the darn thing and get it over with....
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Thanks ******. Since I am still learning, the stock motor will be enough for the time being. Down the road I'll get another one if need be, and hand-me-down the stocker to my Falcon. I need to just order the darn thing and get it over with....
Yea, the stock one should be really good then. I remember when I first started learning to fly, I went and got a crazy Hacker A20-6XL motor which is balistic, and I was going all over the place crazy. I should of stuck with the stock Align 430L motor I had. You live and learn.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I am moving this to FOR SALE as this post has turned into a for sale ad.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I am moving this to FOR SALE as this post has turned into a for sale ad.

Bob
Thats too funny Finless. I bet Scott just sold 100 more Diablo Skysharks today because of this post!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob,
How did this become a for sale ad? The guy had a question and an attempt or two was made to answer it. Who is selling anything (beside ****** who apparently sold his hybrid)?

Little confused here...

Scott-
Old 10-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******777 View Post
Thats too funny Finless. I bet Scott just sold 100 more Diablo Skysharks today because of this post!!!
I am not here to sell. I am here to simply answer questions and to hopefully educate people regarding the products we manufacture.

Scott
Old 10-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_RC-TEK View Post
I am not here to sell. I am here to simply answer questions and to hopefully educate people regarding the products we manufacture.

Scott
My comment was a joke meant as a joke. We know the post started out as a general question on the main forum.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_RC-TEK View Post
Hey Bob,
How did this become a for sale ad? The guy had a question and an attempt or two was made to answer it. Who is selling anything (beside ****** who apparently sold his hybrid)?

Little confused here...

Scott-
****** was posting his hybrid for sale. The return comment questioned why he should buy ******'s when he could but a new one for $x.

Now that the thread no longer contains information indicating a "For Sale" type thread, I'm moving it to the appropriate forum.

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I ordered the Rc Tek Sky Shark last night. The wife verbally chastised me for not being "patient" because she wanted to get it for an X-mas present. I told her I won't be in a hurry to fly it and there will still need to be servos, gyro, lipo, and Lord knows what else to get. I just want it there on the shelf so I will be more willing to do FF with the Falcon. It sounds perverse, but I am more willing to take chances if I know I still have another helicopter waiting. Whenever my 22e works, I fly that around the yard with reckless abandon because I know the Falcon is sitting there. When I fly the Falcon, I don't want to crash so I don't take chances beyond orientation practice. Of course, the wife did a bit of eye rolling when I tried that bit of illogic on her, but thankfully she could give a rip what I spend money on.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Well, I ordered the Rc Tek Sky Shark last night. The wife verbally chastised me for not being "patient" because she wanted to get it for an X-mas present. I told her I won't be in a hurry to fly it and there will still need to be servos, gyro, lipo, and Lord knows what else to get. I just want it there on the shelf so I will be more willing to do FF with the Falcon. It sounds perverse, but I am more willing to take chances if I know I still have another helicopter waiting. Whenever my 22e works, I fly that around the yard with reckless abandon because I know the Falcon is sitting there. When I fly the Falcon, I don't want to crash so I don't take chances beyond orientation practice. Of course, the wife did a bit of eye rolling when I tried that bit of illogic on her, but thankfully she could give a rip what I spend money on.
Nice Jason!!! I've been "chastised" by my wonderfull wife many times for getting heli stuff. But if you think about it, its better to be "chastised" by the wife, than the good Lord!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in