Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Default Heli-Baby NT Build w/floats

Hi all:

Last week, I got the notice that my kit had been received at my Niagara Falls PO box so it was time to head on south (driving rain for most of the way) and pray for smooth border crossings. I have got to admit that the plain box was a bit of a letdown as I was hoping for a reproduction of the original box. My original Heli-Baby, that I bought used back in 1979, had the box so I was anticipating an update of that with the new kit. Well, not this time around, but maybe sometime in the future.

I will not post this as a single large group of photos but at this time, it is nearly complete. Things might change in equipment before I get it into the air so I am not too eager to post and then to change it. I am right now stuck at the canopy gluing stage, which I hope someone can give a tip or two about, as I don't want to ruin it. I have more than enough of the recommended glue so if some of you have some tips, I am all ears.

The main box contains the canopy halves, boom and pushrod in a bag, pre-assembled landing gear, the seat molding, lots of peanuts, and a small but very heavy Diabolo box. I was expecting more I was in for a surprise. That little box, 300x110x70mm, held the entire mechanical contents to the kit. Wow. That I had not seen before. Even the unbent tail rotor protector was inside (more on that in a later post).

This first post is the building of the main upper chassis and the motor. The gear mesh is non-adjustable but is spot on for tolerances. Plenty more to come. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 01.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	650785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 02.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	650786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 03.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	650787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 04.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	650788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 05.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	650789  

Name:	Build 06.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	650790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 07.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	650791  
senzafine likes this.
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here is the next set in the build. These parts are as well made as any high end model components I have ever seen. The finish and quality of the hardware is second to none. I can hardly wait to get this finished and in the air. Lots of cockpit details will be added once I am at that stage, including another scratch built instrument panel (I hope) with lighted gauges. This series takes it to the installation of the float struts. The prototype had a second set of holes drilled in the front plate to the rear of the gear strut position. I matched that set so that I could used the original location of the float struts and not have to modify the floats. I have been told that I have the last set of floats in existence at the factory. I hope that another batch of floats might be made in the near future, hint, hint. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 08.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	651182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 09.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	651183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 10.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	651184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 11.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	651185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 12.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	651186  

Name:	Build 13.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	651187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 15.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	651188  
Old 05-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice job Keyrigger!! Keep the pics coming ,How cool is that you can buy a custom built reproduction Heli built to a much better spec, Gerd never ceases to amaze me!! He puts alot of care and time into his Helicopters and it shows there are not many helis that can hold a candle to minicopters!!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks Magneto:

This kit is really nice to put together. At first, I thought that the manual on the computer would be a bit of a pain but afterwards, the ability to zoom in on a section made up for any inconvenience of not having a written copy in my hand. If I really needed it, I have a printer on my home network, so a hard copy was a few clicks away.

The next stage is the cockpit floor, servo, and swash plate assembly. There is a bit of trimming needed when installing the tail servo mounting tray but after a couple of minutes with a flat needle file, the deed was done. You do get a second set of cabin plates which are made from laser cut plywood, just as accurately done as the CF plates. I chose to stay with the carbon plates for this time as I will be using this one around water a lot so the plywood, unless treated, would swell with the constant contact with moisture. Enjoy.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 16.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	651345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 17.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	651346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 18.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	651347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 19.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	651348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 20.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	651349  

Name:	Build 21.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	651350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 22.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	651351  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice pics. My dad and I just got his put together. Should maiden it next week after I get around to helping him set up the electronics.
The only issues we had with the kit were the following:
Canopy halves were trimmed a bit shy. Needed to trim the carbon rear backrest in order to get enough overlap of the two halves to glue them.
The front skid mounts needed 4mm shims to enable the canopy to slide on easier.
The two cupped shims in the tail rotor were missing as well as a few nuts up forward.
Other than that it went together really nice and is very well made. My dad is like a kid again, lining up his 70s Heli Baby and 2016 version on the bench!
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

seefest:

I found the tail shims in one of the other packages and at first, I could not figure out what or where they went. It became very apparent once I got close to tail assembly time. I found that the canopy was a very close trim and I am sure that they tried many different times to get the right amount of material on each side for the optimum fit. I kind of messed up the gluing of the two halves but I have a second set to see if I can get it any better. When I tried the fit over the cockpit back and bottom, it was a tight glove fit. If I had tried to use the back as a building jig, it would not have fit like it did. I also tried it out on the prototype and my try at the canopy also fit it perfectly with the O-rings making the bottom fight spot on.

The next parts of the build were the head and boom. I have not seen such a snug fit since going over the sk-rotorkopf head that is on my up and coming MH-6 (previously my TOW Defender). There are similarities in the overall concept but this head is much tighter in tolerance.

The boom mounting bulkheads are just as precise as the head and need to be slightly spread apart to be slipped on the boom. The guides for the pushrod are quite a sight. They are made from Delrin and have brass bushings inserted for the running of the pushrod. They are simply held on with electrician's tape. Who Knew???

I slightly deviated from the plans by putting the vertical fin on the opposite side as I felt that the rod was interfered with by the clamps and there was drag created by the clamp grabbing it. There was no obvious way around it as that is exactly where the rod ran when the fin mount is placed where they suggest. Putting it on the other side lets the rod run completely clear of the clamps. I'm getting closer to finish now as it is starting to look like my first one, less the very wide float struts. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 23.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	651631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 24.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	651632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 25.jpg
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	651633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 26.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	651634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 27.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	651635  

Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The tail was next and it was as well machined and easy to put together as the main rotor. I don't know how it got in another package, but I did find one of the counterweight sleeves in and amongst another group of parts. I thought I found it in the main rotor parts bag but it became very clear where it was supposed to go once I got here.

I intend to make up a tail skid that matches the original style and I thought I had purchased the right diameter wire but in checking it, I was a few tenths of a millimeter off in the size. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I had mentioned that there were going to be times when I had ran out of items to install but wanted to pictures of them in order of appearance. Today is such a day. I didn't have a long enough remote receiver extension to install the second remote but took the pictures after the fact. You will see some later items there but the main focus is on the second receiver.

I also began to put the interior together with the main fitting of the seat back over the servos. I trimmed it as close as I could, keeping as much of the seat that I could rather than pull a square out of it and calling it a day. The wiring of the ESC and motor come next time. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 28.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	651908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 33.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	651909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 30.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	651910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 34.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	651911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 35.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	651912  

Name:	Build 40.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	651913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 40A.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	651914  
Old 05-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Nice work!

Great to see the minicopter engineering and precision applied to this classic heli.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

At the prodding of a friend of mine, I put one thing on the list of things "To Do" today, and that was to buy the correct wire size and length to make two tail rotor skid wire loops for both of my Heli-Baby's. I found a 4' length of 3/32" wire and that was more than enough for the job, leaving enough for a third if I needed to alter the length more than I had to. The original had much shorter blades as well as smaller blade grips giving it a much smaller overall tail rotor diameter.

I found this out when I went to make one for the prototype as I took a full scale drawing and made the wire skid to match. Of course, it was nearly an inch short so I ended up making a very long loop just as was done by Gerd. I wanted to have this as close to the original as possible so a taller set was on the table and it went nicely. The funny part is that I didn't measure either one before bending them up as I made each one to fit rather than to a length, sigh. I would hazard a guess that each one is about 15" long before bending. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 33A.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	651987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 33B.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	651988  
Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

It was time to get at the cockpit and properly do up the instrument panel. The prototype gave me a chance to have a bit of fun by adding details for this fantasy helicopter that never existed. I didn't have the formed panel so I had to go by what I remembered and pictures that showed some of the shape. The height was not so easy to work out but it turned out not so far off. This time, I had a full sized panel to work from so it was a lot easier.

The main panel was at least 20% larger so I had room for more instruments. I also felt that they should be lighted and worked out a twin light mount inside. Each instrument was an individual unit that was made from plastic tubing and .010" sheet. The main panel was then drilled out behind the instrument and glued into place. You can see in the one shot the effect of the red LED's that I was after. The red shows up even under flash photography so I know it will be seen when not hit with sunlight.

I received a few "what the &*@&" looks when I pointed out the key set on the original so this time I measured an ignition key and made one in true 1/6th scale which worked out to 12mm long. The ring was made from the inside wire of a heavy duty twist tie as it held its shape very well. The key set was carved out of .060"x.125" plastic bar and if there was a lock that was that small, it would operate the tumblers, lol.

I used the same lighting controller that I used in my CH-139. I twinned it to make things simple and it gave me the pulsing/landing light combination that worked so well. I will have one rotating beacon, and the usual navigation light set as soon as I work out how I will attach them to the chassis and tail housing. The last shots show the rest of the interior including the pedals I made as the formed ones were meant for some very flexible figures that mine just are not, lol. It's all good. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 46.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	652579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 48B.jpg
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	652582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 47.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	652583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 48.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	652584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 48D.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	652585  

Name:	Build 48C.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	652586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 48H.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	652587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 49A.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	652588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 49B.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	652589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 49E.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	652590  

Name:	Build 49F.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	652591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 49G.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	652592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 42B.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	652593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 49H.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	652594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 49I.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	652595  

Name:	Build 61.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	652596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 61B.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	652597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 61C.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	652598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 61D.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	652599  
Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

This set is of the electronics installation. I had a CC Phoenix 85HV left over from something in the past and found that it would be a good fit here. It does tend to get in the way of the Velcro strap but that is easy enough to deal with. The battery is shown installed with the lead exiting the back but has since been switched to the opposite direction. It worked out well for balancing, too. I hard wired the ESC to the motor as the wire diameters are very different and the wire types are dissimilar.

I installed a Skookum 760BE for the gyro with twin DSMX remotes as previously shown. I may, at some time, cut the servo wires so that the bundle over the receiver can be reduced but I will still need a bit of a mess somewhere because of wires that I don't want to shorten. I may move the excess remote receiver wires to another spot to clean up the installation. One of the main installation differences is the adding of the tray on top of the battery box. This allows the ESC and (if yours is small enough), the BEC to be put on top. The CC BEC Pro is a bit too large for that but if I switch to the smaller 10A BEC, I will revise the installation.

The light controller is from ScaleRcHelis.com and is shown in its first position which has since been changed to flat on the floor and further forward. It makes for a clean install and the wires to the navigation side markers are very short. I think the last set will be final installation of the interior and the canopy. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 36.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	652874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 37.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	652875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 38.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	652876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 41.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	652877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 42.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	652878  

Name:	Build 42A.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	652879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 43.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	652880  
Old 05-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The end is now in sight. There is just the assembly of the interior, popping on of the canopy, and balancing of the blades to do. I bought a new balancer from Miniature Aircraft this winter and this was the perfect time to try it out. I found it much more sensitive than the Heli-Max static balancer I had used in the past, along with a simple unit from Align. Both work but this one is far more elegant. I am really pleased with the NHP blades that I ordered with the kit as recommended by Gerd. They balanced perfectly for CG and needed a small piece of cellotape at the CG to perfectly static balance the blades.

The running lights are at least 5000mcd for the left, right, landing/warning and beacon. The little light in the tail is only 2000mcd but it stands out like a sore thumb even in bright direct sunlight. I made the housings from PVC board and turned the tail housing by hand. The wires for the tail light are run inside a carbon fibre tube that hides them as if the rod is part of the control rods.

I cut the seat back very close around the servos as this was my first chance to do so in the three I have had. The first two were purchased assembled so this is my first actual build and a chance to do things my own way when I have the choice. With all of that done, it was time for the maiden.

I took my fleet to the Burlington Bayview field and prepared for the first flight. I brought my Q500 quad in anticipation of recording this for posterities' sake and set that up with some assistance from one of the club members. His job was to hold the controller and punch the red power button if so directed. Once I get the video uploaded, I will post the link in here. For now, here are the last of the pictures up to the takeoff video of the maiden. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Build 64.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	653333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 65.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	653334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 67.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	653335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 68.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	653336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 69.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	653337  

Name:	Build 73.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	653338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Build 72.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	653339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 11.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	653340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 12.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	653341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 14.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	653342  

Name:	Finished 15.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	653343  
Old 05-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don, it looks fantastic! Now you need a nice pond to chase some ducks around LOL.

Ron
Old 05-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thanks Ron. The maiden off the water is coming up soon. Our club holds a weekend long float fly at a conservation area not too far from me. It's a wonderful day of flying, shooting the breeze, and great sausages on a bun. I'll be down south for the Fall Classis at Triple Creek in October. Maybe you can make it there? Take care.

Don
Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Triple Creek sounds good. I'll have the 500C done by then.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I finally worked out the processing problem I was having with the video. I posted it at full resolution and at 48fps. Most computers can easily play that but some, like mine, choke at 60fps for some reason. Enjoy.

Don

Heli Baby Maiden Flight (1 min 32 sec)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Great to see it airborne!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

That was a really small hop for a maiden flight. However, I have since put at least 12 packs through it and it just gets better every flight. I have already done some Split S's and a few loops just for fun. There is more power than the prototype but it's not earth shattering power we are talking about here, lol. I did find that I had been a bit stingy with the pitch and increased it to just over 11 degrees this evening. I added a small amount of right trim to the Skookum as there was a tendency to drift to the left but overall, it is a solid flyer in the air. Gerd, if you happen to read this, do you know the power in watts of the motor? I can't seem to track it down anywhere. Thanks. Take care.

Don
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are a couple pics of my dads build. It flies very nice and sounds even better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	may 2016 003.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	657266   Click image for larger version

Name:	June2016 001.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	657267   Click image for larger version

Name:	June2016 036.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	657268   Click image for larger version

Name:	June2016 037.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	657269   Click image for larger version

Name:	June2016 038.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	657270  

seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Nice build. Love the original, too. I do like the original landing gear the best as far as design. It's low slung and very long to create a nice, stable platform. I finally got mine out on the water and what a day to test it out. Winds were steady at around 20kmh with gusts up to 48kmh at times. I was the only flyer out of four that took off and landed. Lots more were there but they stayed on the ground. Some took off but flipped on landing, some flipped trying to take off, and one crashed as he had insufficient experience in high winds. One big advantage a helicopter has is its high disk loading compared to most model airplanes. it's fun to take to the air when most planes are on the ground on account of the winds. Take care.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in