Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Foamy version of the MCPx

Hi!

No I am not taking up planking instead of helis I am wondering , for those who do fly foamys (Foamies?) Is there an all purpose foamy that would be the equivalent of the mcpx in terms of being cheap, indestructible and still have great performance characteristics, that would bind to a DX4E? I am interested in trying one out just for the grins

Thank you!
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about the e-flight/HH SU-26?

Would seem to fit the bill to me...

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk
stu-evans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Su-26xp, p51 mustang, any of the small parkzone unltra micro flyers...all of them, except the beast, are pretty darn tough. All will bind to that tx.
MSR
Stolen.....several 450s, dx7, my laptops. 2 slash 4x4's.
UBHSTRY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

How do you feel about the stryker 180? I only ask because of the pusher prop being less likely to break during crashes... or is this a myth?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

A flat profile EPP foamie is great fun and very tough.

Edit: but a more advanced radio than a DX4 is needed, unless you can adjust expo with the DX4?
squeky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://twistedhobbys.com/

I have the crack Yak, and it is indeed the plank version of the mcpx.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 a buddy of mine picked up one of those little parkzone foamies. He crashed the hell out of that little p51, but it was a handful even for me especially in wind.

I'm personally really interested in the new Spitfire micro from parkzone that is supposed to have a plank version of the AS3X FBL (mcpx) in it to deal with it's small size.

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Crack Yak flies like a dream and takes a crash like a champ. My buddy has one and I love flying it.

It is a 3D plane but I think it would be totally fine for a beginner due to its durability and lack of any weird flight characteristics whatsoever. While expo is nice for fine tuning controls you don't NEED it, DX4 would be fine for getting started.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TRX View Post
How do you feel about the stryker 180? I only ask because of the pusher prop being less likely to break during crashes... or is this a myth?
I had the Stryker 180 and it was super fast and light as a feather, which made it fairly fragile. The good thing was that the foam body was usually the only thing that broke. So only one part needed to be replaced. Took about a half an hour to switch over bodies
Merse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The hobbyzone champ is the toughest micro foamie I have ever seen, it's also the easiest to fly. It will bind to spektrum. The next toughest have to be the parkzone micros, the Trojan would be my choice, sick little flyer.
kaiser01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The AS3X board is awesome.I have one in my umx beast and it transforms a little twitchy plank into something that is very stable and flies like a much bigger bird.The beast is fairly fragile but I am sure we are going to see a lot more micros with this system.The stryker 180 is a lot of fun but I would not recommend it to an inexperienced pilot and you do need a better radio than a dx4 to make it manageable..
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser01 View Post
The hobbyzone champ is the toughest micro foamie I have ever seen, it's also the easiest to fly. It will bind to spektrum. The next toughest have to be the parkzone micros, the Trojan would be my choice, sick little flyer.
I'd compare the Champ to an mCX, the other micros like the T-28/ P-51 to the mSR, the UN SU-26XP/UMX planes to the mSRx. As for a plane equivilant to an mCP I'd agree with the others suggesting profile EPP foamies like those from Twisted Hobbies but you would benefit from a programmable Tx for setting throws and expo. Since the mCp is 3D capable (well, mild 3D capable) I wouldn't consider sport and aerobatic planes to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

What you are looking for is the 33" EPP Extra 330 SC -B

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/33-EPP-Ex...B_p_15759.html

The worst thing that happens in a crash is that you get a little rip in the EPP foam. and all you do is put some welders adhesive on it and 20 minutes later it is ready to fly again.

They have a COMPLETE set of videos to walk you through building one of these.

Here is a little review that I did on this. I got two of these for my kids. They are nearly indestructable and very acrobatic.
http://markkovalcson.wordpress.com/2...3d-hobby-shop/
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was my first thought since I own one. There are a lot of similar birds by the same manufacturer that are similar, just different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu-evans View Post
How about the e-flight/HH SU-26?

Would seem to fit the bill to me...

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk
N518LF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew this yesterday, it is the easiest plane to fly ever and the thing does crazy aerobatics if you want to fly that way, i have never seen any thing fly so slow

not good in the wind, if your flying indoors or on a perfect day this thing is super awesome, i have had some of the e flite micro planes including the champ, this fly s so much better and its bigger. the little e flite micros suck in the wind too. this plane is pretty durable due to its weight. but its a harder foam which can crack but a little glue and its back together, the guy who owned it has crashed it allot and it's still going. if it were better in the wind i would buy one of these in a second. so much fun to fly its not funny

http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1129.html

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This has been very helpful. So many decisions but all good advice. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
What you are looking for is the 33" EPP Extra 330 SC -B

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/33-EPP-Ex...B_p_15759.html
If it ever comes back in stock.... Love mine though.
squeky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 for the 3dHobbyShop stuff. Been flying their stuff since 2006.
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I vote the PZ SU-26. The wings are very thick and tough, especially compared to the P-51 and especially the BEast, both of which I own now. The SU I had I crashed onto a road and it got run over by an SUV. It stands up poorly to being run over by an SUV. Other than that it's pretty much indestructible and the only part that's even slightly prone to damage is the vertical stabiliser. But that's why we have masking tape. Musta crashed it a billion times.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
http://twistedhobbys.com/

I have the crack Yak, and it is indeed the plank version of the mcpx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post
Crack Yak flies like a dream and takes a crash like a champ. My buddy has one and I love flying it.

It is a 3D plane but I think it would be totally fine for a beginner due to its durability and lack of any weird flight characteristics whatsoever. While expo is nice for fine tuning controls you don't NEED it, DX4 would be fine for getting started.
Awesome suggestion guys... I picked myself up a Twisted Hobbys Edge 540 and it is awesome. It really is like a plank version of the mCPX. (Only WAY easier to see!) Nice and slow flying, super quiet, is very aerobatic, and super simple for a noob (plank noob that is) to fly... And the couple of crash landings (very windy today) didn't even scratch it. I picked it up, did a quick preflight, and threw it back in the air. I did have to re-align the prop on one landing though, but with the prop-saver o-ring that was a non issue. So glad I didn't go for a high-wing trainer. I think I would have been bored with something like that pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
I flew this yesterday, it is the easiest plane to fly ever and the thing does crazy aerobatics if you want to fly that way, i have never seen any thing fly so slow

not good in the wind, if your flying indoors or on a perfect day this thing is super awesome.

http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1129.html
Just checked out the electrifly... that thing looks insanely light! The TH planes probably handle the wind a tiny bit better, but today it was quite a handful. Still a lot of fun, but I had to work the sticks constantly to keep it in the air. If there were any passengers on board, they would've been hurling something aweful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in