Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mid stick a little sluggish

I'm still very new to nitro. Have OS 105 HZR on 700N.

When I spool up it takes a little bit for the engine to catch up with itself so to speak. If I push it it will try and lift off but bobble right there with too low a head speed. I have to let it catch up so to speak. Once I get to my set head speed it runs pretty good with good smoke.

I made one click leaner on mid range mixture control. Not a lot of change. Not sure if I should continue with that or something else.

It's just slower to get to good speed as say compared my 600N engine (OS 55). My 600N will ramp up really quick by comparison.

Any thoughts?

It is a new engine btw, but I think I have it broken in pretty well at this time. I think I have a dozen or so full flights on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2-3 clicks on any needle when looking for a change. Even Tim Jones stated that. When going one, you cant tell if it did anything or not. A few clicks you can tell, AND if you few clicks into lean, you can back out a click or 2 and know you are good.

Also, when you come down to idle, say form a bunch of tic tocks or hard flying, then come in and land as quick as you can, get to idle. Does the idle hang high for a long time? You might just be rich on the Idle Mixture. Causing the heli to load up when idling and stumbling when you advance throttle to lift off.
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
2-3 clicks on any needle when looking for a change. Even Tim Jones stated that. When going one, you cant tell if it did anything or not. A few clicks you can tell, AND if you few clicks into lean, you can back out a click or 2 and know you are good.

Also, when you come down to idle, say form a bunch of tic tocks or hard flying, then come in and land as quick as you can, get to idle. Does the idle hang high for a long time? You might just be rich on the Idle Mixture. Causing the heli to load up when idling and stumbling when you advance throttle to lift off.
Very good points. I will test that concept on the idle. Also make sense 2-3 at a time to see difference.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

PS, I to am breaking in a new engine. Just did 1/4 tank no blades idle heat soak. Factory rich settings and ya, even with no blades if I went a little fast with throttle off idle, she wants to die.
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

What governor/FBL unit are you using? The ramp up is usually set there and a good setup of it with a properly tuned engine are keys to good spoolup. It is also important to let stick at 0 pitch until target headspeed is reached for proper working of most governors.
RontaryUS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RontaryUS View Post
What governor/FBL unit are you using? The ramp up is usually set there and a good setup of it with a properly tuned engine are keys to good spoolup. It is also important to let stick at 0 pitch until target headspeed is reached for proper working of most governors.
I have ikon with built in gov. I see where I can set gain, but not "ramp up".

I turn gov off at startup just to eliminate that issue. As soon soon I can I plan to lean idle mixture to test spool up without gov. It seems to run forever after i pinch off fuel to engine.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go into the advanced menu of the ikon, under governor and you will find the 'ramp' settings...

Seems like you have a regulated engine so the pinch test is irrelevant as when you pinch there is still a lot of nitro from the DRS system (regulator) going into the engine...
Old 05-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RontaryUS View Post
Go into the advanced menu of the ikon, under governor and you will find the 'ramp' settings...

Seems like you have a regulated engine so the pinch test is irrelevant as when you pinch there is still a lot of nitro from the DRS system (regulator) going into the engine...
Yes I do have the regulated version. I sure did not know that about the pinch test. Thanks. I will take a look at the advanced settings on ikon.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

For reference, guys would count 3 seconds for a proper idle to die when pinching the fuel line to the carburetor. Takes mine from 5-7 seconds, so I don't bother. My engines are YS with regulators. A smooth idle without ring-ding-ding is typically what you're after. On my current fresh YS engine, I've had to tune the idle so it will rev up into midrange without coughing and hesitating. Then, out from the pipe comes a fair amount of fuel. A couple of clicks leaner and it smoothed out nicely.

The cool part is when you get that smooth spool up and get your needles tweaked for performance, it's very gratifying to feel that engine just making that smoky power! I know it gets me all excited!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
For reference, guys would count 3 seconds for a proper idle to die when pinching the fuel line to the carburetor. Takes mine from 5-7 seconds, so I don't bother. My engines are YS with regulators. A smooth idle without ring-ding-ding is typically what you're after. On my current fresh YS engine, I've had to tune the idle so it will rev up into midrange without coughing and hesitating. Then, out from the pipe comes a fair amount of fuel. A couple of clicks leaner and it smoothed out nicely.

The cool part is when you get that smooth spool up and get your needles tweaked for performance, it's very gratifying to feel that engine just making that smoky power! I know it gets me all excited!
I look forward to that. I've been going to fly most afternoons lately. However this week is terrible weather. I'm ready to burn some more fuel and try and tune this engine some more.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I toasted 3 engines before I get to tune them right. Now give me a YS120SR and I can get it tuned to the half click

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in