Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KBDD Gear - Disappointed, a problem, and a question.

I purchased three sets of the KBDD skids and two did not last one flight. I was practicing hovering in a nice flat area and never crashed the heli, but both sets broke off at the front post. The worst case I had was a bumpy landing. To make matters worse the second set broke off right at the edge of the post hole. I was barely able to grip it with a precision needle nose and it stretched the material.

So I have two questions as a result.

1. Any idea how I can get the broken post out without damaging the frame?

2. The fit seemed very tight on the KBDD, do I need to do anything to the posts to get the gear to fit properly? It seems as bending as the material is, it should not have broken so easily. The posts seem to fight in very very tightly and I have a feeling that is stressing the material.
ErikIL77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently had exactly the same issue. The LHS have taken them back.

The reports on the forum here say that early production skids were very brittle and that the problem has been corrected now... Send them back to KBDD.

I used a sharp knife to get the pegs out.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Several methods of getting the broken post out :

1. Lever it out with a pin
2. Drill carefully into it with a small (1mm) drill until it bites then pull it out
3. Heat a needle, push it into the broken pin, let the plastic go solid as pull the needle and pin out.

Sorry, I don't have the KBDD skids so cannot help with fitting them. Do the manufacturers not offer any advice ?
UKHeliBob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies, I will give this a go with the needle or a drill.

And no, the skids came in a basic parts bag. I was not able to find any info about having to mod the skids. I have no idea if they are from the first batch or not.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just ordered two sets from Value RC. Is there any way to tell, other than crash and break, if they are first gen. skids?
Heli #1:Gaui 200V?/FBL/BeastX V2.05/Gaui 5600/CC25/5065 MG's/DS09 GMD/Spektrum Sat.
Heli #2:Gaui 200V?/FBL/Gaui 5600/CC 25 ESC/65 MG's/BeastX V3.08/DS09 GMD/Spektrum Sat.
dynodude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

IIRC.....in an earlier post, KBDD was issuing a replacement for any skid found defective that was sold PRIOR TO 4/13/2012......I had a "first generation" white skid that was brittle....sent it back, got a replacement made with new plastic formulation....works great!!
Since then I've received 2 sets of the pink skids...they work great - and LOOK super!!
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have read on here that people shave off some material on the skid pegs to make them a little skinnier. I would use sanding paper. Conversly, last night I had to drill out the pegs on my stock skids because they snapped flush with the insertion hole.

After I drilled them I had a loose fit, so I coated the new landing gear pegs with some CA glue to make them a little thicker. That seemed to do the trick.

So too thick, trim. Too skinny, coat with CA
aaronbru is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been using the colored landing skids with no problems. They are manufactured with a new material composition that seems more flexible.

I found this installation information on their Facebook page.

The skid lugs fit tight and are also tapered. The tight fit and the tapering are for the variances in the Frame holes either from the manufacturer or wear and tear. They are not meant to be pushed all the way in. Only push them in until they are nice and snug. In case of a shear force being applied on the skids causing the lugs to break, you still may have a small piece of the broken lug to ease the removal of the broken lug from the main frame.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The best way I've found to get the pin out of the frame post is to heat a needle and push it into the center of the pin, rocking it around so as to enlarge the top of the hole, then take a servo screw or a mounting screw for the 3 in 1 and turn it into the pin. Pull it out with a pair of needlenose pliers and you're good to go.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

What color were the skids that were breaking out of curiosity? I just got a pink set from ValueRC and a lime green set from another ebaY seller. I heard the colored ones are supposed to be better but I'm curious to see what you guys are finding. I alos have 2 sets of the low profile AirTime skids coming so I'm hoping all 4 (KBDD and AirTime)are pretty solid.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please contact KBDD directly on this issue they have the best customer service on the planet.

There are other threads on this forum, regarding this.

Some of the very early versions of the skids were having problems. In the reports I have seen of broken skids, I have only read of white ones with issues.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

They sure look real sweet!! They keep getting better. I have used many of their products before on other helis and have really enjoyed them. We shall see....
Hoghunter7mm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a set on 4/2 that were white, broke second flight in about 5 spots. hahaa

KBDD is sending new set, haven't received yet. I did since get an orange set but haven't tried them yet. Waiting on some parts to come in.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I contacted them earlier today and they will be sending me replacements, very happy with their response time and will definatly deal with them again.

The ones I ordered were the white skids.

I pushed them in until they were snug, but did not force them in. My issue with that is the battery hangs under the canopy and the canopy presses down on the battery a bit. I'm guessing I can trim the bottom of the canopy to compensate, but we shall see once I get the new skids in.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=ErikIL77;3908502]

1. Any idea how I can get the broken post out without damaging the frame?

QUOTE]

I use an fresh exacto knife and stab the point into the pin, dull side up and slide it out, ive done 3 or 4 that way...! The exacto knife gives good leverage.
EGG_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope they have or are about too rememdy their problem, they really are a great company! So far, the plastic dipped stockers have proven its wothiness.. The freak that came up with that idea is a genius and deserves much credit!! Have fun!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hoghunter7mm,

I believe that KBDD has the problem resolved. I have thumped, bumped, and crashed both the pink and the yellow versions, multiple times, and they have survived, unscathed.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome too hear!! Thank you very much...going have a couple of sets on their way shortly
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just purchased an orange set from ValueRC a week ago, dang thing broke on the first flight. Highly disappointing, thought they were going to be stronger than stock.

Pretty obvious their material is too hard and brittle. I also purchased a set of the extreme orange blades and they also broke very quickly on 3rd flight I believe, too brittle.

They need to soften their plastic up, it's too hard. Their colors are really cool, but if their going to break so easily, what's the point?

They need to soften the material, also need to put in reinforcement into the corner sections where all the flex goes. Mainly, they need to produce a product that is more durable than what Blade makes, not worse.
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess if we all didnt crash as much as we do, there wouldnt be a problem...but what fun would that be??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in