Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wink When is my CopterX 500 a T-Rex 500?

Hello!

I have been flying my first CP heli, a CopterX 500, for just a few months now.
I crashed it in the first week after experimenting with negative pitch (a severe blade strike).
I haven't crashed it since

But I have been replacing a lot of parts of the CopterX with genuine Align parts as they failed or didn't function properly. Now, most of the heli consists of Align parts. Only the frame and the head are CopterX. It goes without saying that when the time is there these will also be replaced with Align.

I was just wondering when I can call my heli a T-Rex instead of a CopterX?
I need to know how to describe my heli in my profile! LOL!
Molari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Call it a Rex, doubt anyone will criticize...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Every Heli is just a bunch of parts stuck together .. so once all your parts are Trex parts .. then I would say you have made one !

Ok, it's probably cost you more money in the long run .. but you'll get there in the end and I bet you had alot of fun getting there !

To be honest .. who cares what you have ..... so long as its yours and you have fun with it ... thats all that matters.

nbells
nbells is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

“If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck”
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

MOLARI,
This is a fun topic. I've wondered what my 500 is now, "Frankincopter"?? It started as a Trex500CF...Now I have no Align electronics (Hitec servos, Scorpion motor, CC ESC and BeastX FBL), RJX FBL head, EXI side frames, bottom plate and metal bearing blocks. Some cool blue landing skids I ordered off eBay (friggin' awesome), Edge blades, tarot tail shaft and tarot CF tail blades...I guess the only Align parts are the moving tail parts, links, and the main and feathering shafts. Heck even my swash plate and anti-rotation bracket are aftermarket. Oh, and the canopy is a Fusuno (but it says T-Rex 500 on it). It really doesn't matter as long as it flies well. So...when someone asks me what kind of heli I have, I just say trex500. Saves time. See my sig. Have fun!!!
jakalope is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've asked the same question quite awhile ago....
And, I actually got some flak because I still call my HK CMT, an HK...
The only things left on it HK are the boom, and the frames...EVERYTHING else is either Align or i2. I few guys PM'd me last year some time and told me.. its not a clone anymore.. its a Belted ESP.... I guess.. I just like the honestly of making sure people know, I'm not trying to pull anything off. It started life as a clone.. ( I actually never built it as a CMT... from day one it was built with Align/Castle/i2 parts..I really only wanted the frame and boom...) For now, its still in my sig as a clone.. I guess it is what it is....but I usually talk about it as one of my 'rex's. It actually has better stuff on it then my ESP.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its a T-Rex 500 when you don't have any clone parts left
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet View Post
Its a T-Rex 500 when you don't have any clone parts left
I guess you are right, but....

What do you call a T-Rex with a non-Align head? LoL

BTW fun topic indeed!
Molari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya.... piss off the Align guys and call it by its given name Copter X
The Align guys still call theres" Aligns " after upgrading almost every part on them.

Or if your Old School like me Call it a SCRAP BUILD

Bottom line ......... Fly it ! Have fun with it ! The name on the Heli doesn't make it any more fun to fly once you have it to your liking.

Last edited by MrHeliNewbie; 03-24-2012 at 08:05 PM..
MrHeliNewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I go by how my heli started out in life. It started as an HK bird.
It got tons of upgrades right off the bat. I think I'll always have
an average of 1 align part on my heli. Not counting little bits like
skid rubbers and dampers (which are trueblood usually).

Does having 1 align part on your bird make it not an HK anymore?
I'm guilty.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I figure if it starts out as an Align kit then it's an Align. If you use Align electronics I guess you could say it was 'stock'.

I have an HK450 Pro kit I refer to as an HK450 Pro or clone. The only HK parts left are the frame, some of the head, and the tail.

But I agree with everybody who says it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've gone the other way, started with an Align 500 and now have so many "upgrade" parts I don't call it a Trex-500 anymore. Still all Align running gear though

I figured that it was so not an Align heli I got a canopy painted that doesn't have "Align" or "Trex500 " written on it
Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Non of my canopies say Align on them...not the clone, not the ESP. The only canopy I have with ID on it is the HC500.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

ya .... I never know how my posts will be taken. Glad to see it was taken in the right way.
My heli is proof that a Non-Align bird can be a great heli. But it was put together using what I wanted, not a one size fits all combo.

And yes I call it a Tarot 500
MrHeliNewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet View Post
I've gone the other way, started with an Align 500 and now have so many "upgrade" parts I don't call it a Trex-500 anymore.
Um...check your sig... Just messing with ya.
jakalope is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I asked myself this same question, started off with a 450 clone, it now has a align head and tail, scorpion esc, align motor, quark gyro, savox servos, align landing gear and tail boom, Kbdd tail blades and align rotors. What the hell is it??

A beast!!

Now if I could just stop crashing it so much......
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I feel like I should chime in here. Mine started out as a Tarot 500. Now the only Tarot parts left on it are the main frame and the tail servo holder, everything else is Align. Lets say I want to sell it (which I never would). If I was to sell it as Tarot 500 I would get way less than if it was a Trex 500. I'm sorry but my heli is an Align Trex 500, no matter what anyone else says. If you were to buy all the parts separately and build it wouldn't it be an Align? So what's the difference if you replace the parts little by little.

khoysagk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
I feel like I should chime in here. Mine started out as a Tarot 500. Now the only Tarot parts left on it are the main frame and the tail servo holder, everything else is Align. Lets say I want to sell it (which I never would). If I was to sell it as Tarot 500 I would get way less than if it was a Trex 500. I'm sorry but my heli is an Align Trex 500, no matter what anyone else says. If you were to buy all the parts separately and build it wouldn't it be an Align? So what's the difference if you replace the parts little by little.

You can only say you have an Align heli, if ALL parts are Align, the fact that your frame is Tarrot would not make it an Align Heli....

Just for Info, when I got my 500e Pro, it came complete with a serial number sticker on the box , I assume this could be to prove that the Heli started out as a full blown Align product and not a just a heli built from parts or was a "HK Frankenstein Heli"

Hence the reason Aligns are worth more and why all you guys with Frankenstein Helis want to say that you have an Trex heli
nbells is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
If I purchased a second hand heli sold as an "align" and discovered it had tarot frames on arrival, I would want my money back
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbells View Post
You can only say you have an Align heli, if ALL parts are Align, the fact that your frame is Tarrot would not make it an Align Heli....
So if I buy an Align Trex brand new and then replace the autorotation bracket with a KDE one it's not an Align heli anymore??? Give me a break
If this is the case then probably only 10% or so of all Align helis out there are "true" Aligns.
Hey Deet you have a vbar on your Trex500? Well I guess it's not an Align heli unless you put a 3G or 3GX on there.

khoysagk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in