Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First crash, what do i need to know?!

Hi there,

i bought it, charged it and flew it. i was shocked to see that heading hold didn't really work. i thought these things are trimmed and test flown at the factory?! however, i had a bit hard landing and it started to tilt. i went all the way down with pitch and as the blades struck the cement floor, i realized that i had throttle hold on. or whatever it is called. the blades are gone. my question is: when putting new ones on, do i have to adjust anything or can i just put them on? also, can i just go ahead and adjust the gyro? turn it towards plus???

thanks,
G

p.s. forgot to mention, i got the blade cp pro 2
neavissa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow.. ahem (trying not to laugh). The only thing I can suggest is to start here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Bluerocktj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerocktj View Post
Wow.. ahem (trying not to laugh). The only thing I can suggest is to start here: Heli Skills and Setup 101 - LOOK here first! - HeliFreak
oh, you can laugh...i cracked up. i flew for 5min fine, till i crashed. if the gyro would have been setup correctly, i would have had no problems. it was my first heli ever and i am good on the simulator...
however, i appreciate you pointing out the video tutorials. my question is not where they are, my question is if i even need to go there or if i can just put on new blades?!

thanks,
G
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First of all, you haven't mentioned what kind of heli we're looking at. Usually after any kind of crash, I take everything apart and check for bent shafts (spindle, main, flybar, etc). Then I look for any cracked or broken parts in the head and go from there.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

you are right, i edited my first post. its a blade cp pro 2...it slightly tilted and i had a blade strike. it was going for a few seconds before i realized to flip the switch to stop it from spinning...if i have to take everything apart, i might as well throw it away...i don't want the stress. not after a blade strike...if i had crashed for real, no problem...

thanks,
G

p.s. besides checking all these things you mentioned, when putting on blades, i don't have to check anything, right?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK... I see... you just want to hit the reset button like on the sim and keep on flying.

Here's a quick way to check for a bent spindle. Since the blades are already off, put your hex tool in the blade grip on one side and turn the bolt. If the the grips wobble around then you have a bent spindle. If the grips stay aligned on the same axis to each other as you turn the bolt, then it's still straight.

Blade CP Pro - Check for Bent Spindle (0 min 19 sec)

To check if the main shaft is bent, first disconnect power to the tail motor. Next, plug in your battery and spool it up slowly without the blades. Watch the top of the main shaft, it will be obvious if it's bent since it will wobble around. Here's a video of how it should be if it's straight, the screw on top of the shaft stays centered.

Blade CP Pro - Balanced Head Demo (0 min 43 sec)

These 2 shafts, the spindle and the main shaft, are suceptible to bending in a blade strike or crash. The flybar will be obvious if it's bent or not.

If everything is straight and you're confident nothing else is wrong, throw on a new set of blades and start flying.

Rinse... Repeat...

Here's a useful link: http://bladecprepair.com/
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

After a crash you should not fly the bird again until you have done a FULL INSPECTION! That means blades, grips, shaft, spindle, servos, pitch; the whole enchilada! Otherwise you run the risk of having another crash or worse, serious injury to yourself or any bystander. This is just plain common sense. D'oh!

~Quack!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

first of all, thanks for the help guys. really appreciate it. i know its hard to have the patience to help a rookie...i feel the same way when it comes to cars...
second, i have to come down. now, after a few hours went buy and i had a chance to review in my head what happened, i am over the part where i have to check/fix stuff...i am looking forward to getting my new blades and try it again!!! i think i am hooked...i have been into R/C for 25 years now. mainly cars and planes...had a heli once but that was back in the days when gyros only existed in my aunts Greek restaurant...ha ha...

one more thing. the gyro didn't really do its job. i was gonna adjust it and turn it towards the + sign. to my surprise, its already all the way there. does that mean its broken or am i doing something wrong?

thanks,
G

Last edited by neavissa; 11-09-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i noticed that my flybar paddles are twisted...how can i readjust them again. i was gonna buy one of those blade angle things...can i use that too to adjust the paddles?

thanks,
G
Old 11-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
i was gonna buy one of those blade angle things...can i use that too to adjust the paddles?
Um... no.

"Much to learn you still have." -Yoda
Old 11-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Um... no.

"Much to learn you still have." -Yoda
"um...thanks" - Luke Warm
Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold duck View Post
After a crash you should not fly the bird again until you have done a FULL INSPECTION! That means blades, grips, shaft, spindle, servos, pitch; the whole enchilada! Otherwise you run the risk of having another crash or worse, serious injury to yourself or any bystander. This is just plain common sense. D'oh!

~Quack!
+1
Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

~Quack!
if someone tells me to check something, it doesn't really say to what extend to check?! i could power it up and see if everything is moving fine or i could take every servo out, open it up and see if the gears are fine...
duh?!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
if someone tells me to check something, it doesn't really say to what extend to check?! i could power it up and see if everything is moving fine or i could take every servo out, open it up and see if the gears are fine...
duh?!
Oh my! We gotta lively one here!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i noticed that my flybar paddles are twisted...how can i readjust them again. i was gonna buy one of those blade angle things...can i use that too to adjust the paddles?

thanks,
G
Go to your LHS and ask for a heli paddle position alignment tool.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All kidding aside, you lack the basic knowledge for this. You jumped into the deep end without knowing how to swim. If the CP Pro 2 is your first heli and this is your first crash, you made a bad choice for your first heli. It’s more than I (we) can teach/help you with in a single thread. There is a whole section of videos and tutorials that go over the basics, so that’s where I suggested you go first. Watch some of "Finless" Bob's build videos, and you will get a better understanding of what's going on. There is a wealth of information on Helifreak and it’s going to take patience to learn it.

If you really want help right away with your heli, then the local hobby shop may be where you need to go. They can sit there with you, go over everything, and explain things. Like Duck and I said, you usually have to go over the whole heli and check everything after any kind of crash or blade strike. Then after you get things fixed, you can’t just slap on a new set of blades. YOU have to balance them statically and dynamically before they go on.

From the video you posted, I’ll bet that your spindle (feathering shaft) is bent, and the main shaft may be bent also. And from the video, I can see that your horizontal fin is not horizontal. The switch that stops the blades from spinning, that’s called the throttle hold switch. The other is the idle-up switch (sometimes called it stunt mode).

Quote:
...if i have to take everything apart, i might as well throw it away...i don't want the stress.
If that's how you feel, then maybe you should have got a Havoc. I'm done here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B0018ZRK2W.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Go to your LHS and ask for a heli paddle position alignment tool.
didn't even know what it was called...thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
All kidding aside, you lack the basic knowledge for this. You jumped into the deep end without knowing how to swim. If the CP Pro 2 is your first heli and this is your first crash, you made a bad choice for your first heli. It’s more than I (we) can teach/help you with in a single thread. There is a whole section of videos and tutorials that go over the basics, so that’s where I suggested you go first. Watch some of "Finless" Bob's build videos, and you will get a better understanding of what's going on. There is a wealth of information on Helifreak and it’s going to take patience to learn it.

If you really want help right away with your heli, then the local hobby shop may be where you need to go. They can sit there with you, go over everything, and explain things. Like Duck and I said, you usually have to go over the whole heli and check everything after any kind of crash or blade strike. Then after you get things fixed, you can’t just slap on a new set of blades. YOU have to balance them statically and dynamically before they go on.

From the video you posted, I’ll bet that your spindle (feathering shaft) is bent, and the main shaft may be bent also. And from the video, I can see that your horizontal fin is not horizontal. The switch that stops the blades from spinning, that’s called the throttle hold switch. The other is the idle-up switch (sometimes called it stunt mode).

If that's how you feel, then maybe you should have got a Havoc. I'm done here.

Havoc.
thanks for all the info. i actually changed my mind and i am somewhat looking forward to fix it. i know that it takes more than one post to explain everything. however, i also like to throw in a post to get a feel for the forum and let me tell you, this place is no different than any other forum. there are always these dudes, with thousands of posts, that have to tell the new guys how lame they are and to use the search function, ha ha...
i am happy for all the info i got out of this thread and i dont mind the tone, i am used to it and smarter than that...

thanks again,
your beloved super nubee

p.s. seriously, your inputs helped...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

i looked at a few finless videos. pretty cool stuff. i wasn't able to find anything on how to setup the paddles?! what tools do you guys recommend to balance the blades? can i just go ahead and get any balancer and pitch gauge?

thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Watch the videos on this link. There is information there about almost every aspect of your bird including paddle adjustment, blade pitch, and using pitch gauges.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t244675p1/
Do you have the owners manual? If not, you might want to download it and read it entirely several times before restoring your bird. Good luck and welcome to the world of CP helis. As previously stated, there is a lot to inspecting and reparing your heli after a crash, waaay too much to cover in a single thread. You are gonna half to do some research and some homework as you get to know what it is you need to know, you know? I too started out with the PicooZ and had no clue what I was getting into when I bought my BCPP. I learned by reading, watching, searching, and DOING it all. Yeah, it was a PITA at first; a lot to digest for a newbie. Just keep at it and it will eventually all gel into a sweet dessert. Or not. Depends on your threshold for frustration, disappointment, and failure.

~CD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in