Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BD3XS and Mikado Satilites

Need some help guys.
Got BD3SX FBL unit. I have a spektrum DX18 QQ radio. I am putting the BD3SX in a full fiberglass carbon full body fuse. I like to be able to run the Satilites antena out a hole to get better signal. Spectrum Satilites sntena wires are too small. The new Mikado Satilites have longer antena wires. So a few questions,
1. Instead of spektrum Satilites Can i use the Mikado number 04882 satilite with the BD3SX? Has anyone tried it? Here a like to the satilite from Mikado. Thx

http://shop.mikadousa.com/assets/ima...-satellite.jpg
7hvman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not possible. These are specific to the Vbar and Vbar Control.
Roger_Salmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know anything about Mikado satellites but Spektrum make satellites specifically for carbon fuselages like this.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM9646

If you have a Spektrum Tx you may be better with this. Though like myself I wouldnt run just satellites with the BD3SX as I have suffered brownouts on an all satellite setup. For your prized possession and the small outlay I'd install a full RX with one or more satellites.
Woodsta888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsta888 View Post
Though like myself I wouldnt run just satellites with the BD3SX as I have suffered brownouts on an all satellite setup. For your prized possession and the small outlay I'd install a full RX with one or more satellites.

I have been running just Spektrum satellites without issue so far with at least 50 flights. What was your power set up when you had brownouts?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brownouts come from bad power supplies.
Get some Capacitors, preferably from R2Prototyping and you are good to go.
Totally depends on the servos by the way.
...and a s-load of planes
ArguZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run a 2s lipo with two servo leads into the 3SX. I'm using MKS X8's all the way around. I run a +/-12 collective pitch and 10 degrees of cyclic pitch.
I ran a test with my TX pitch curve at 0-100-0-100-0 and basically just went up and down on the collective while circling the cyclic stick to see if I could get a brown out, but it never did.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suspect that there are 2 types of unit out there. I have one that works without a problem on 2 sats. The other can only be used with a full receiver.
Roger_Salmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsteele View Post
I have been running just Spektrum satellites without issue so far with at least 50 flights. What was your power set up when you had brownouts?

I didnt start to get them until around flight 50. I was running Align 615 & 655 servos. I use a LiFe 6.6V directly to BD3SX on my raptor E820. I swapped to a full AR800 Rx with one sat I also run a TM1000 telemetry module which as standard measures RX voltage and signal strengths. Went through flight 200 the other day and never had a brown out since. I've since swapped out the servos to HV Futaba ones still on 6.6V though and get twice as many flights out of one LiFe charge. Went through flight 200 the other day and never had a brown out since. The brownout caused heli to go to failsafe which of course turned off the motor and when (very quickly) regained signal would start the ESC in heli slow. DO I auto or don't I?

So it was either a large power draw with the Align servos dropping below the 5.5V for the BD and the sats OR changing the RX to not have to go right down to 5.5V as this is powered itself right down to 3.3V and not powered via the BD3SX. Though sats work at 3.3V I think but the BD wants 5.5v min. QUite a few folk on here and elsewhere report brownout when using sats and solve the problem by using a full Rx.

Not so bad on a smaller heli but on big helis not worth the risk when a full Rx aint much in the grand scheme of things. I suffered about 8 shutdowns. Some under 10m away and 2m off the ground and two 10 secs apart.
Woodsta888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in