Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion > Electric Motors Winding and Repair

Electric Motors Winding and Repair Electric Motors Winding and Repair Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok cool,

Next question. When you are winding an armature, say you want 9 turns and from one end to the other you get 5 turns. Can you start going on top of the previous turns heading back toward the base of the stator to fit the last 4 turns assuming it doesn't touch the windings from the armature next to it?

This is what I would like to do eventually and he did use 20 AWG wire. It looks like he did what I am asking but i'm not 100% sure.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=636351
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup. Just be careful with notation as I'll call it. Some people do turns per pair of teeth, in the case of dLRK, some people do wires per slot and some people do turns per individual tooth. Its all very confusing. My advice is figure out how you want to keep track of things and stick to that system just so you're less likely to go bananas.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, confused again...

From my reading one of the guys did an experiment and stated this...

"As an example, I collected a few hard drive stators to build a motor. I wanted a reasonable amount of power out of the motor in order to fly a 72 in Piper Cub. In order to get enough current into the motor, I tried using some 0,6mm diameter wire I had lying around. After some struggle, I found I was only able to get about 10 or 11 turns onto each tooth.

As a starting point, I tried a Star hookup, as I wanted a high torque motor. On 3 Lipoly cells, I was only able to get a little over 10 Amps into the motor using a suitable prop for good efficiency. Marginal power . . . but I wanted some in reserve!

The motor was reconfigured for a Delta hookup, which resulted in a lot more power being available. Enough power to fly the plane, but also enough power to ruin the motor!"

http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.za/

So by doing nothing more than change the termination he had a much more powerful motor on the same voltage.

Now is that being caused due to the higher KV or is that caused because he is running the same prop on both so they are not seeing the same mechanical resistance?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My guess is switching to delta raised the RPM a lot and turnig the same prop at that higher rpm required a LOT more power and sounds like it required more power than the windings could handle.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

When people say 5+4T or 4+4T what does this mean?

Is this a DD or YY winding always and its 4 turns for half 4 turns for the other half? But then how is one half 5 and one half 4?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Usually it means 5 turns one one tooth and 4 turns on the other in a dLRK tooth pair. Its sometimes referred to as asymmetric winding when it is uneven.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

ah ok. very cool. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in