Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbern View Post
No, i bought mine from the local hobby shop in Norway. Its the importer and seller for JR. The radio only comes with that setup. I hope they will make some changes before they get onto the american marked
That's interesting. So the only difference between a mode 1 and mode 2 TX is the gimbal configuration, and perhaps the default programing?
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Listen to the man!

Hanno Prettner!

Enough said?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone had success swapping the T-hold switch with the momentary trainer switch? I opened the case and had no idea how to do the swap, would appreciate some pointers if someone has done it. Thanks.
Silvercomet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't done it yet, but plan on it this weekend. I'll let you know if no one has chimed in by then.
flymustangs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I finally got this done tonight. It wasn't too bad. Just removed the three wires on each switch, swapped the switches and resoldered. That part only took about ten minutes and wasn't any more difficult than doing this mod on the Futaba 8FG.

It took considerable more time to convert the radio to a native mode 2. What I mean by that is the switches now match the menu items like they would on an 11X (i.e. FMOD Switch in the menu is actually the top left forward switch, throttle hold is the top right switch on the back, etc.)

This doesn't need to be done to get the radio to work in Mode 2. It would be kind of strange assigning the Flight mode function to the Rudder dual rate switch as the radio is by default. I'm guessing the XG11's being brought in by Horizon will be native mode 2, but the manual currently shows the same native mode 1 configuration. They probably just don't have a new manual to put up yet.

This change wasn't too difficult after I figured it out. I had to swap two plugs to change all the switches mounted on the front case and two pins in another connector to swap the trainer and throttle hold switches on the back cover.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK. I seemed to have found one issue that I can't change. It appears the stick mode is model specific and not an overall system setting. When I create a new model in a "blank" spot it defaults to Mode 1. Not a big deal since you would only have to change it the one time, but still a bit annoying.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If the radio defaults to MODE 1 when selecting a new model it means you got the MODE 1 radio, although the XG range does have the ability to change stick mode in the software, they are still being sold as MODE 1 or 2 radios. The export version we get in South Africa is the same as what Asia and Australia gets and that is how they are configured for these markets. On the box it would clearly state which mode the radio is configured for.

Would not know what HH is doing for the USA market.

Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, of course it's a native Mode 1 radio. That's the reason for the big post above talking about how I changed things over.

The point I was trying to make is that the mode setting is not an overall transmitter setting at all. It's a model setting.

In my opinion the ability to change modes, at least on this radio, is just a gimmick. It really doesn't change anything except the sticks. All the switches are still "backwards" (unless you do what I did above) and it has to be done per model.

I think if you're going to advertise a radio as being able to change modes, it should actually be able to do that.

I really do like the radio and will very likely get one from HH when they get them in, especially if they have a manual throttle trim option. Of course, that makes the ability to change modes even more problematic.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks flymustangs. How do you actually remove the shoulder switches from each side? I don't see an effective way of removing the beauty nuts without a dedicated tool...
Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used a pair of snap ring pliers. The points on the pliers fit the slots really well. It was still a tad awkard since snap ring pliers are "backwards", but it did work pretty well.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default please give us some insights...

I would like to do that to my transmitter..

Last edited by flyingboxer; 07-08-2012 at 05:26 PM..
flyingboxer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wink please give us insights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymustangs View Post
I finally got this done tonight. It wasn't too bad. Just removed the three wires on each switch, swapped the switches and resoldered. That part only took about ten minutes and wasn't any more difficult than doing this mod on the Futaba 8FG.

It took considerable more time to convert the radio to a native mode 2. What I mean by that is the switches now match the menu items like they would on an 11X (i.e. FMOD Switch in the menu is actually the top left forward switch, throttle hold is the top right switch on the back, etc.)

This doesn't need to be done to get the radio to work in Mode 2. It would be kind of strange assigning the Flight mode function to the Rudder dual rate switch as the radio is by default. I'm guessing the XG11's being brought in by Horizon will be native mode 2, but the manual currently shows the same native mode 1 configuration. They probably just don't have a new manual to put up yet.

This change wasn't too difficult after I figured it out. I had to swap two plugs to change all the switches mounted on the front case and two pins in another connector to swap the trainer and throttle hold switches on the back cover.
Please elaborate more on this swapping plug and pins idea...
which one did you swap??... do you have pictures..??
As long as I´m getting the idea, you need to desolder and change trainer and T Hold switch, but the remainder of these switches..?? F mode for Rudder D/R ...???
what connectors or plugs or pins do I need to disconnect and reconnect and where..???

We have 3 radios bought in Hong Kong rc711.com converted there to mode 2, so we having the same problem as you...

Thanks a lot for your wisdom...

Last edited by flyingboxer; 07-17-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's how I did it. The switches attached to the front of the case connect to the main board through connectors CN-R and CN-L. I've added some large labels on the picture so they're easier to identify. These need to be swapped. The picture is AFTER the swap has been made. You'll probably have to remove some wire ties and maybe reroute the wire bundles a little to get them to reach their opposite spot.

To swap the two switches on the back cover I swapped pin 2 and 3 on the CN-RF1 connector. Also labeled large on the picture. You can see the pin numbered one on the board, but it's also the grey wire. I first tried to swap these on the board attached to the back case, but I couldn't tell for sure if these pins were removable. The ones on the main board connector certainly are, similar to the pins on a battery balance connector.

With these changes, the only Mode 1 remnant that I can't seem to get rid of is a new model always starts in Mode 1. I don't understand this since the mode is supposedly a system setting not a model setting.

I hope Horizion will get a version with analog throttle trim because I would prefer that. Of course, that pretty much rules out the possibility of a user based mode change without some serious surgery on the radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XG11_modechange.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	330227  
Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks flymustangs. Just to be clear, what you did to swap the trainer/T-hold switches were to 1) unsolder switch wires, swap switch locations, resolder wires so that the wires that were originally connected to the trainer switch is now connected to the T-hold switch and vice versa, and 2) swap pins 2 and 3 on CN-RF1?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is correct. I also saw a tip over on RR about using some ball link pliers with the curved tips for removing the switch nuts. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That is correct. I also saw a tip over on RR about using some ball link pliers with the curved tips for removing the switch nuts. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work.
Just one last question Flymustangs:
Pardon for my ignorance, but how do you swap pins 2 and 3 in order for not to damage the connector..?
Would you mind teach us on how do you swap those without destroying the big plastic white connector..?

Thanks a lot for your wisdom again......
Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was going to put some more detail in there about that, but I forgot.

It's also very similar to swapping pins in a servo connector. You need something small like a tiny jeweled screwdriver or an exacto knife. Be careful if using the knife blade because it can damage the connector.

Slip the tool under the connector tab very carefully while gently tugging on the wire. This can be a give and take process. If you're pulling too hard on the wire it might keep the tab from lifting. This can also result in too much pressure on the tab to get it to move, which could break the tab.

There is a good picture of this on a servo connector on page 8 of this document, http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...Connectors.pdf

Hope that helps.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
With these changes, the only Mode 1 remnant that I can't seem to get rid of is a new model always starts in Mode 1. I don't understand this since the mode is supposedly a system setting not a model setting.
This can easily be changed with a firmware swop from your distributor. If the radio was sold as a MODE 1 radio it will always default to MODE 1 on creating a new model and vice versa. MODE selection in all the XG series of radios is a model setting, so other buyers beware, always buy the MODE you want.

Even the analog trim TX does exactly the same, what is heartening is that you can swop models between the differently configured TX's and it will take on the new stick mode and analog trim function. The analog throttle trim is easily swopped to the other stick and you can even invert it's operation in the software.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The problem is that I'm not sure there is a "native" mode 2 version of this radio, yet. As mentioned, three of these radios were bought from RC711 that were supposedly mode 2. The problem is that they were still native mode 1 radios. They were just converted to mode 2 at the dealer. As we know now, that doesn't do do much. I haven't searched the entire Internet but I couldn't find any other dealers that even gives a choice of which mode. I did see the manual throttle trim mentioned on a couple of websites, but none I found had that version available.

I also see only one firmware update available on JR Japan's website. It seems if this was just a firmware change there would be two versions of this firmware depending on the native mode of the radio.

Even the manual on Horizon's website shows the mode 1 radio. I imagine that's because it's the only manual they have right now. I think it's Horizon's typical marketing strategy where they put out information that's incomplete, just so they have something out there, and then go back and update later.

I'm waiting on a reply from Horizon on the availability of the analog trim radio. When they put that one out there for presale, I'm sure I'll be one of the first ones to order, assuming it's going to be a native mode 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in