Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Serious question about Helis. Pls help

Hello all. First posting here.

I am a 48 year old guy living in the great state of Montana. In fact, I live just a few miles from HeliProz, so parts and equipment are not issues. I flew helis (or tried to) waaay back when the GMP Cricket was all the rage, but nothing really since then.

So here's my question:

If money were no issue, would it be best to pursue a 500 class machine, a 600 Nitro maching or a 700? Here's why I ask...

I live on a large piece of land, so space isn't an issue, however exploding Lipos causing fires gives me a moment of pause (it is VERY dry up here and fire is always a concern). That is why I am considering a Nitro machine instead of Lipo.

I realize the 700 is much larger, more stable and parts more expensive, but I find myself torn between a 600 or 700 machine. Heck, even a 500 size machine may be alright if the Lipo thing weren't an issue (some user experiences here would be helpful). I fly a RealFLight simulator, and can fly pretty well (inverted, nose in etc.). I also have a mSR Blade and have loved it, hence the step into something larger with CCPM.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you may give. I've spoken to the guys at HeliProz and have their opinions, but would also welcome some "real world" experiences as well.

Thank you.

-Scott
MontanaMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you treat lipo's with respect and follow a few safety precautions ( common sense ), then they are quite safe and user friendly.

Lipo's recieved a bad rap upon introduction to RC applications primarily due to the fact that a few knuckle heads were charging them with Nicad chargers and then wondering why there houses and garages were burning down.

Lipo prices are very reasonable now, and lipo powered helis offer a lot of convienience ( no support equipment, no mess, no needle tweeking, etc ).

Try it , you may like it.
Ultraviolet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Step 1. Get a JR/Spektrum radio (IMO) and Phoenix flight simulator. (you will sae $1000's simming)

Step 2. Mess around with the various sizes they are fairly accurate and you can feel how the helis will fly.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had lipos since they first came out and never had an issue. Treat them well with respect and common sense and you will be fine.
rogersrick123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If money is no option, then go big. I fly my Raptor 90 now more than my 600 or 450. It is simply more stable, easier to see and just easier to fly. A crash is more expensive, but working on them is easier also. So if money were no option for me, I'd have a fleet of 90's and yes, one of them would probably be an electric.

More stuff than there is time to fly it.
AFjetmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you were starting from zero time, I'd not recommend a larger heli to start with because yes they are more stable than a 450 class but, every dumb thumb move which is going to happen and has nothing to do with stability, will cause a high dollar crash.
The crashes on a 500 and up are pricey due to the main blade cost for as at least one part needed to rebuild.

You on the other hand, have done your homework already.

"I fly a RealFLight simulator, and can fly pretty well (inverted, nose in etc.)."

Since you are not likely to dumb thumb the normal flight moves, a 500 would be a great start.

On my 500 I usually spend about 60 to 80 dollars for crash parts. Some times less. This is after 3 crashes last season.

You have a great source of parts and I bet those that work there, fly a lot too. Probably a great resource and close by.

Maybe get a 500 up and running quickly and start building a larger ship for later on.
Never good to have just one any way.

Can always warm up on the smaller one and if there is a crash with the larger one, you can fly the smaller one before going home if you traveled to a field to fly with the locals.

You will find that flying at home is very convenient, you will get in loads of flights that way but it is also fun to fly with the locals and may find yourself making that trip too.
TowPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
it is VERY dry up here and fire is always a concern
Nitro is flammable too. That said, if money is no object then always go big.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've witnessed lipo in a 600N caught on fire after a bad crash.

Setting the lipo issue aside, it appears that you're leaning toward a nitro machine and cannot decide between a 600 or 700. My suggesttion is the Velocity 50 as it can swing up to 630mm blades with OS55/KME60/Rossi57. There were issues with the first kit but most, if not all issues, have been resolved with the second kit. Finless is currently working on his build videos.

The Velo50 is better than the 600 and almost as good as the 700 in terms of flyability ... flowing really good from one maneuver to the next. The 600 can be the same but you'd need to stretch the boom to swing 620/630mm blades. I've both a Velo50/KME and a stretched 600N/OS55.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned User

If you don't want problems with Lipo's get a good charger. I love flying my 500. If you are used to big heli's then go for a 90, if not a 500 is a great size.
steffgiguere is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

SORRY I didn't see that RF sentence. Yeah.. RF is good too.

Here's a good charger that's cheap enough you can get more than 1!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow, thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Okay, since I am now leaning towards the electric option due to ease of use etc., it is only a matter of a 500 or 600 sized machine.

I like the JR Vibe 500 or the T-Rex 500 or 600 machines.

Any opinions on them?

Thanks again for all the help fellas. I really appreciate it.
MontanaMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

something to look into, compass has an atom 6hv coming out soon which is a 12s 600 size electric helicopter. its using 2 6s 2500-3200 mah size packs in series so you could then use those pack on a 500 size helicopter. low amp draw with all the power you will ever need; or set it up for long flights times, sport flying will get you 10 minutes.

ive flown the t-rex 500 and 600, both of the fly great. the 600 is pretty hard on packs because 6s the bare minimal for a 600 size helicopter. its just to many amps for those packs.
Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know how dry it is up there. Its sad to see no water at Glacier. Anywho, I'd say go with electric. Start with a 500/600. I'd say get a 450 PRO and get good with that. I love my 450 pro, and with Thunder Power blades, she flys like a 500. Sounds like you want BIG tho... Just my 2 cents.
CDFrog29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is bigger really better?
CDFrog29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How are the winds in your part of Montana? If winds (>10mph) are a common occurance, like they were for me when I lived in Wyoming, I would go with the larger sized helis. You will have more days that you can fly.

Just one thing to consider.
TRex 250 DS410, [#1]GY401 w/Futaba 3154, [#2] GP750 w/JR290G

AMA#117323
GotM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I personally like the 450 size because of the Lipo price around 12 bucks a pop nowadays and around 30 for a really nice one and each flight would last 7-10 minutes.

I was going to go for the 500 size electric helis but the Lipo prices for 6 cells are insane for 5-7 minute flights...so I skipped this idea. Oh and the prices for these Lipos just doesn't make sense for the amount of flight you get per one Lipo.....I'm not that fortunate to have 20 of these Lipos that could buy me two more 600 nitro size helis or one gasser heli.

I also have a 600 Nitro and it will go from 7-10 minute flights easy with 22-29 bucks a gallon its not too bad.

Eventually when they figure out how to mainstream A123 technology that will overpower the Lipos and their weight I think then I can start looking into bigger electrics.

But this is all my personal opinion.
RCTada is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMan View Post
Wow, thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Okay, since I am now leaning towards the electric option due to ease of use etc., it is only a matter of a 500 or 600 sized machine.

I like the JR Vibe 500 or the T-Rex 500 or 600 machines.

Any opinions on them?

Thanks again for all the help fellas. I really appreciate it.
The Vibe 500 is sexy and flies better then rex500 but is expensive. A friend just finished assembling his Vibe and . Bigger is always better so the 600E is the way to go given that price of battery is dropping lately, especially the ones from HK. The Compass Atom is also a good machine and a few days ago CommonSense RC was selling the CF kit w/esc, motor and blades for $250, normally $499.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me anything below a 600 is now a waste of time. I just don't enjoy flying them. I have a very capable 4S 450 Sport I haven't touched in two months, the 600/700 get all the time. The only use I can see for smaller helis now (below 600) is flying in crowded places/parks, which I never do. If you have a large flying field, you'll be able to exploit it much better with a bigger machine. The 500 is really OK, flies like a mini 600, but not for me.

Now between the 600 and the 700, the size isn't that different in the air - they do behave differently though and that's because of the better design of the 700. It's really a later designs and it shows. That however doesn't go to say every .90 will be significantly better than any .50, it's just the case with the Align machines.

The 600 is where I'd place it in terms of best bang for your buck, it's nearly as stable as the 700, about 30% cheaper to fix and about 30% cheaper to fly in terms of fuel consumption. It could have been 30% cheaper to build too - that was the case when you'd run a .50 engine - but now with the .55 and co., you're looking at a $700-800 LE combo and a $300 engine when you can get a complete (engine included) 700LE combo for $1200 tops. So building the two isn't that different. As long as you don't touch a 700, you'll love it dearly (ignorance is bliss, my friend).

If you really, truly don't care about money, get the 700. It's nicer to work on and nicer to fly. If that 30% (or slightly less) cost reduction might be useful for you, get the 600 and don't look back.

I still enjoy flying both, anyway.

Trex 700N, Furion 6FBL, (lots of fuel and some batteries)
SamurAchzar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

If money isn't an issue go with a Mikado Logo 500 or 600! Best flying helis in their class and the German quality is amazing. The Logos are actually cheaper than some of the other above mentioned helis. The 500 is actually a 30 sized heli and the 600 is more of a 50 sized heli. Great flying electric helis! I have a FBL Logo 500 and it flies better than any heli I've ever owned. Even when it was flybarred, it still flew better than any other heli I've owned. Battery prices are cheap for them as well. You can buy a 6S 5000mah Turnigy battery for $54 bucks a pop. Turnigy batteries are probably one of the most widely used brands now because they are priced great and are very good batteries. You don't want to buy those name brand batteries like Thunder power and Outrage because you spend around $200 or more on 1 battery which is ridiculous. Do some research, but you will be extremely happy with a Logo, trust me.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

if $$$ really is no object, then the bigger the better...especially at your advanced age JK i ain't that far behind you.

if a 700 and the repair costs (typically $250-500 depending on how well you plant it) are reasonable, you won't regret:

A) being better able to see it
B) having more power to weight than just about anything else available
C) having 8 minutes of flight time at a go
D) having more time to recover from mistakes/think about moves

yes, size really does make a difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in