Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > A123

A123 A123 Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default a123 on AP eRaptor

Anyone out there using these on their eRaptor yet. I'm still using Emolis but I've been reading a lot about these. I just haven't seen or noticed anything on what a good cell count for AP/AV would be. I'm running an 11S emoli setup and I'm about to have to buy a few more packs. So far, emolis have held up perfectly for me.

Right now I'm at 9.10 lbs fully loaded.

Caine
cainebean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Right now I'm at 9.10 lbs fully loaded.
is that with 600mm blades? I can't recall whether you stretched or not.
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, one of the reasons I did the new Raptor conversion shown below is to be able to carry two 10-cell a123 packs, which are wired in parallel. I'm hoping to get about 13-14 minute durations.

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gary I'm going to have to stick with the emolis then until I can afford to move up to the new Raptor. What is the AUW without camera equipment with 2 10s packs? I really like the idea of over 10 minutes flight time.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Scott, I'm running 620's right now. Gary, any way to do this for the Titan conversion?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

10S pack is about 760gm each so two of them is 1500gm.

the frame will fit regular 120 eccpm setup. what you will have to do, is mount one pack on the nose and one in the bay , while still maintaining motor in the low position.
askman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainebean
Gary I'm going to have to stick with the emolis then until I can afford to move up to the new Raptor. What is the AUW without camera equipment with 2 10s packs? I really like the idea of over 10 minutes flight time.
I think the a123-based packs are just as affordable as the eMolis, but you get much better performance. Today we ran my eTitan conversion in a 3D configuration with 620 NHPs, a new Z50A-600 95T/10T gearing and a 15s a123 setup. It frankly had the most power we've EVER seen in a helicopter this size, period. Well over 4000W. It had a headspeed of 2700 (full metal head...), +/- 13.5 degrees of pitch and no bogging whatsoever. Just raw power.

Anyway, the 10s2p setup is going in next. First I'll try the existing Z50A-600, which only got to 134F, even running at 25,000 rpm, but up the pinion to a 12T. I then will swap it out and put in a Z50A-800 with a 9T pinion. That will be the AP/AV setup of choice, I think, for use with the a123 packs. Very efficient, cool running and gobs of power in reserve, if you need it.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 11-20-2006, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

So how much for the frame mount askman? I feel like I should put you on my online bank payment system askman! I got everything you did with ballistic tech, 2 mast mount , 2 heli mounts, when will the madness end! Just kidding, you could could make a widgit for my heli and if I thought I needed it, I'd get it!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anyone have a picture of the frame installed on a converted raptor with camera mount?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainebean
Anyone have a picture of the frame installed on a converted raptor with camera mount?
I should have some pics this week. I have a newly built eTitan conversion, setup with a Z50A-800, the 95T main gear, a 10T pinion, 620mm NHPs and two a123-M1 10-cell packs, all I need now is Andrey's new large-size 360 Pan-LG mount. This will be very similar to the Logo 10 version, but a bit beefier. It'll have, for instance, a belt-drive for panning, instead of gears. Anyway, I have a Sony a100 with a wide angle 11mm lens, ready-to-go, which should be a great pano setup.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 11-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

So do you just cut the excess frame off? How much frame do you leave below the 3 screws that hold the frame on? And the frames really just give you the front bay?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, you just cut off the lower portion, just below the three screws, as shown below. The new frames then provide a completely open, and protected, battery area that will allow pretty much any pack configuration, including using two "tandem" 10-cell a123 packs, straight out of the Dewalt cases.

www.tppacks.com
Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, these new lower frames come "pre-configured" for use with the new 360 Pan-LG mount. The hole you see in the lower plate, which is directly under the main shaft, will be used to attach the camera mount/LG assembly. This eliminates the need for a dedicated plate that would normaly mount to the where the skids attach.

www.tppacks.com
Old 11-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Gary,

Sorry for making you post all of this stuff here, I looked at your website. I haven't visited it in a while. Do you make an adapter plate for the hacker motors so they can be on top? If so how much? Maybe I missed it on your site.

Caine
Old 11-28-2006, 01:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

No problem. You'd be suprised how many similar questions I get.

I think the new 10-pole Hacker variants are supposed to have 5mm shafts and 3mm mounting holes. The should fit fine. the 14-pole existing versions will need a different or modified plate, and a drilled out pinion.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Got my stuff, thanks Gary. When you setup the AP2000, do you select S1 on it? Then 3 is the elevator, 1 and 2 are ailerons? So far the setup has been easy. I did have to file some of the frame down for the 95T gear, but not a biggie.

Caine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in