Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GrabBee X for viewing on laptop screen

Hi!
Does anyone use the GrabBee X USB grabber
(http://cooldrives.stores.yahoo.net/grxusb20augr.html)
for viewing video in the ground station?
Any experiences? Seems like a good way to set up NTSC/PAL viewing, IMHO...

Thanks for all comments...
mikaellaine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default No and you might not want to either

I don't know that particular USB grabber but, every one of those things I've see have a 1/2 second or more delay. I think you will find that does not really work as a realtime monitor.

The other problem I've seen is many of them stop capturing (and displaying) when video synch is lost. Since you are likely to loose synch often, you may find this a frustrating method.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, that's expensive. If you are looking at something like that. You can go for the EasyCap for $19.00 Also, DealExtreme has it for about $13 bucks and FREE shipping. I do not know if it's the same version though.

Here is a video of someone (not me) using the product.
Video comparison part 2 - EasyCap (0 min 24 sec)

Also, if you are willing to spend almost $90 bucks on the other product, why not get an Aiptek MPVR. You could have an onboard recording and also use it as your default camera for onboard and ground recordings. I think it's just $110 or so.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey J, do you know if it has been any changes regarding what frequencies are legal in the US. Including the ones that require a simple license?
I'm looking at this Diversity Receiver. I didn't know they work with many frequencies. I just assumed they work with a simple frequency.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default That is receiver agnostic

Merlin, the Oracle diversity switch is receiver agnostic. That is, it does not care what the frequency is. You use receivers to convert the radio signal to analog video which feeds into the Oracle. It uses video synch signal (as I understand it) to decide which receiver has the best signal.

You can use that diversity switch with 900, 2.4, 5.8 or any other band you want. The only requirement is that the receiver must put out NTSC or PAL standard video. (No hi-def.)

There are true diversity recievers in the 2.4 band. They actually have two receivers and a switch. There is no great avantage to that except you reduce your component count and wiring complexity.

As to your other question, as far as I know, 900, 2.4 and 5.8 are the only bands used in the USA. In theory, you could use any band for which you are licensed but, it would be hard to find equipment in other bands. Commercial (and Public) broadcasters use microwave equipment to transmit (usually hi-def) video signals but, that equipment is large, heavy, power hungry and expensive.
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe my confusion was because I thought the diversity receiver just had to be connected to the two antennas (antennas to Oracle DR which connects to just one receiver). I actually didn't know I had to have two receivers, duh!

Thanks J
Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the excellent input! merlin703: you're probably right, I should just get a digital camcorder.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The monitor is small so you probably won't be able to fly it by looking at that monitor but it's a excellent recorder and it works for your onboard camera and recorder. Just make sure you do not get a camera that stops recording when there is not video input. I have the Other Aiptek and as a ground recorder sucks because where there is no video it just stops working
Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The price of goggles is so low its a good choice for viewing online. For recording, a camcorder... I was just thinking of this laptop viewing because its so easy/cheap to get into. I ordered the grabber from dealextreme - we'll see how it works (I'll post my experiences once I get it; the mailman has a long hike from Hong Kong). I can use it for my old VHS&BetaMax tapes anyways
Thanks again guys for the great, swift replies. Really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in