Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Electric

MA Electric IonX2, Razor and Furion Support forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Furion 6 - WOW!

Between my Whiplash E and Align 550, I did not think i needed an additional size heli, but after flying 2 different Align 600 of my friends, I was in for a new heli... Being a 20 years fan of MA, I opted for the Furion rather than an Align (though I generally prefer having the similar kits as my frieds, to share parts or knowledge), and euqipped it with a Scorpion 4035-500 which I took of my Whiplash a few months ago, BLS253 and BLS251, and SK720 BE. Balanced perfectly with 12S 4Ah battery.
I finally got to mainden it today, and WOW. This heli rocks!!!

I did have a high frequency vibration, noticable in the tail fin and increased with rpm, but this was smoothed out by lowering the governor gain (SK governor), and replacing the Mavrikk tail blades with a set of Align I took off the Whiplash at the field. I will further analyze this with the Skookum log (a great feature of this flybarless system!).

At 2150rpm it flew great big air aerobatics. Cuban eights, four point rolls, etc' were all a breeze. The term "blur piro", a nice feature of the Skookum controller, got a whole new meaning, as it really blurred, making it hard to see the taill...
At 2300rpm rolling flips were cool, great powerfull rainbows, and very stable tick-tocks.

The heli is a perfect combination of stability/visibility/"presence" and speed/agility/"twitchiness". It's school break here, so I had to come back home early to be with the kids, but I have the feeling this heli is going to get alot of air-time...

Anyone in for a well equipped Align 550? ;-)
Avi_Y is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My F6 is awesome. I cannot believe more people don't fly them.
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Diabolo S #6
Diabolo
TDR
N7
crash at 42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right on! I absolutely love my Furion. I want a Whiplash now too
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same here, I recently built a shortened Furion 6 on 6-cells/550mm blades and absolutely love it.

Chachin..
Old 08-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachin View Post
Same here, I recently built a shortened Furion 6 on 6-cells/550mm blades and absolutely love it.

Chachin..
What did you do to shorten the boom and tail drive?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

MA has a "550 kit' - shorter boom, shorter belt, gear, and tail push rod.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
What did you do to shorten the boom and tail drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1115 View Post
MA has a "550 kit' - shorter boom, shorter belt, gear, and tail push rod.
party number is MA 2800-30.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: Furion 6 - WOW!

Had the vibration issue solved, though it was it took quite long. I ended up replacing the motor (the motor can was damaged), and the tail pitch slider which did not run true (replaced by MA).
Having completed this, the heli is now butter smooth and has so much power and authority. Set my skookum to 360deg/sec on the cyclic, and was having trouble flying straight... I guess its back to training now...
Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad you like the Furion. I have to try one. I have two wiplash 90N. How does it compare flying wise to the wiplash?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have only flew other peoples hippies, so I never pushed it. But I can tell you the Furion is more reactive, faster roll, faster acceleration, a bit more sensitive. On 12S it is a rocket.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

VERY nice to hear!! MA makes amazing birds!
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I think Scott got it pretty mych right.
For the sake of comparison, I run the Whiplas with JR 8717 and BLS 251 servos, Scorpion HK 4525-520kv, Castle 120HV, and CGY750. 2050 RPM for aerobatics, 2150 RPM for 3D.
The Furion uses BLS 252 and BLS 251 servos, KDE 600XF 530kv, Castle 120HV, and Skookum SK720 BE. 2150 RPM for aerobatics, 2300 RPM for 3D.

The Whiplash is VERY powerful, with enough torque and muscles to move mountains. It is VERY stable, and runs wonderful big-air aerobatics. It is also quite fast. It is very stable in 3D as well, and stays put through harsh collective commands or tight manuvers. My Whiplash was originally setup for softer flight (e.g., white dampeners, softer feel on the FBL system), which fit my flying style at the time.
The Furion feels like an arrow released from a bow. It feels as if it's half its actual weight. Great acceleration from stand still, or from level flight to sudden pop. Piro rate (when the FBL is not limiting it) is astonishing (I ought to upload a video), and so is tail hold (SK has probably to do with it too). Responsiveness to roll commands is very high, though I don't think the final roll rate is different from the Whiplash.
All in all these are two wonderful helis, and it occurs to me that the defferences between them are more related to scale than design characteristics. One is more stable and more powerul, and the other quicker to react, which makes sense with these two sized.

I do have to go through the setup of the Whiplash again, as my flying style changed significanty since I built it and originally set it up. This include replacing the dampeners and increasing headspeed, both of which I expect to incerease the responsivess of the heli. I'll write more if I have different impressions.

Avi
Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree. I have 2 Furion 6s. I love flying them. I am running Scorpion HKIII4025 730 and 8S 5000 packs. Tons of power for 6 minutes of 3D flying. It is the best autoing 600 I have flown.
Kaylee Smith, RCHN #231
Spartan, Synergy E7, Legend FBL, Goblin 700, Whiplash E, Furion 6s,GAUI R5, Furion 450s, Xcell 60 , T-REX 600s, T-REX 450s, 300X, 130X, MCPXs. I'll fly what I want to fly. You do the same.
flyul1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in