Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > CAD/CAM

CAD/CAM R/C Helicopter CAD/CAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default custom 480

Hi all,

Have been working on my own design stretched 450 based on Align/Tarot 450 parts like gears, torque tube, head etc.

Basically a conversion set for a Trex 450 Pro into a 480 with 6s setup with 350mm main blades, scorpion 2221-2010KV motor, dfc head and custom canopy.

My goal is to create a high center of gravity, easy access to all components and off-course a somewhat unique and cool design.

I hope to finish the first prototype before the new year but will be busy setting up my own company so have to divide my time wisely.

The eventual design will probably still change a little based on first tests and center of gravity which I still have to simulate but wanted to show it already. Please let me know what you guys think..

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m480-10.1.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	370416   Click image for larger version

Name:	m480-11.1.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	370417   Click image for larger version

Name:	m480-12.1.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	370418   Click image for larger version

Name:	m480-13.1.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	370419   Click image for larger version

Name:	m480-14.1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	370420  

martin.vandijk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey nice design!! I'll post my 450 design when its done.. Different to yours tough
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

sleek and slender design dude.fantastic layout of parts.have you build the prototype???
uday is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks uday,

yes the first prototype has been finished! Attached a few pictures of it.

The performance is really good, too bad my skills as a pilot still need improvement as I already crashed it

However I made some modifications and design changes so the second prototype will follow soon. This time including the canopy. So far pretty happy with the design.

next is cost calculations and see if I can put it in the market as a 450 to 480 conversion kit

any suggestions please let me know!

Martin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0376_02.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	403085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0185.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	403086   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0448_02.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	403087   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc480 assembly.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	403088  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

martin.vandijk very nice dude.a small suggestion you mentioned that you want to create a high center of gravity,but i think it sacrifices stability of the heli.i say you move all the components under battery tray up and battery to the down.just give it try .with the canopy the heli looks like "goblin helicopters" .but your design is awesome dude
uday is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday View Post
martin.vandijk very nice dude.a small suggestion you mentioned that you want to create a high center of gravity,but i think it sacrifices stability of the heli.i say you move all the components under battery tray up and battery to the down.just give it try .with the canopy the heli looks like "goblin helicopters" .but your design is awesome dude
Thank for the advice, will try if the gyro can keep it stable or if I have to start moving parts. They gyro and receiver are now on the bottom tray inside the frames. Because the battery tray is not level it would be hard to mount the gyro there. However the battery will fit inside the frame so if I can find a suitable place for the gyro I will definitely give it a try.

New aluminium parts will be ordered next week, finalizing the drawings now. Thermo-forming mold of the canopy is also being produced now and hope I will have some samples ready in a few weeks. Carbon fiber parts are next, still need to find the right supplier.

Pushing for the next flying sample to be ready in about 2 weeks.

to be continued...

Martin
Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really awesome!!! I love your design!!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default update

small update regarding the 480:

The carbon fiber parts have been cut, twill weave and matte finish, very happy with the result.

Aluminium parts will be ready next week and have been busy with the total assembly drawings including a new, more aerodynamic, canopy design. Need about one month to finish the canopy prototypes.

next update will be after assembly

Martin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cc480-12.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	412054   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc480-13.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	412055   Click image for larger version

Name:	carbon fiber 3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	412056   Click image for larger version

Name:	carbon fiber 4.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	412057  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The prototype has finally finished! Attached some pictures. Will report again after the test flights.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cc480 940x300 3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	420614   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc480 940x300 4.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	420615  
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: custom 480

That looks amazing man!! Good work!!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's really cool!

I have a background in architecture so I used cad programmes and wanted to do something similar, just wondering how do you get the carbon fiber made up? I have local access to a laser cutter but I imagine that carbo fiber and fiber glass isn't workable with that gear.??
c_kalava is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a special process for laser cutting carbon fiber. I'm guessing they cut it with a cnc router for him as thats the most common way
Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought as much, CNC cutters aren't so easy to come by in London compared to a laser cutter. Maybe I could just get proto types cut in Perspex/plexiglass see how it goes from there.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That would be economical for trial fitting, but for actual test flights I would stick to g10 as a minimum since Plexiglas is likely to be too fragile. When you have a final ready, you could order your cnc cut carbon online
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

These carbon fiber parts have been cut by cnc by a specialized company. They know the right settings and I did not have any delamination. I believe it is possible to laser cut carbon fiber sheets but you will need a very powerful laser. Your laser cutting supplier should be able to tell you if they can do it or not.

Making samples in plexiglass should be oke for mock-up but you will need the right materials to get the strength and balance right.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.vandijk View Post
These carbon fiber parts have been cut by cnc by a specialized company. They know the right settings and I did not have any delamination. I believe it is possible to laser cut carbon fiber sheets but you will need a very powerful laser. Your laser cutting supplier should be able to tell you if they can do it or not.

Making samples in plexiglass should be oke for mock-up but you will need the right materials to get the strength and balance right.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolyboy View Post
That would be economical for trial fitting, but for actual test flights I would stick to g10 as a minimum since Plexiglas is likely to be too fragile. When you have a final ready, you could order your cnc cut carbon online
cool guys thanks for advice.
when you designed the side frames on CAD i imagine you used the guts of exisitng helicopter parts to get the correct positioning of screw holes and to save designing everything else that wasnt major for the helicopter, did you measure using a digital caliper? or from found sources of CAD files online.

I think im very precise because of my work background but even still inaccuracies with the vernier/calipers could amount to main shaft etc not aligning correctly. they are not the easiest thing to fit in to small spaces
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_kalava View Post
cool guys thanks for advice.
when you designed the side frames on CAD i imagine you used the guts of exisitng helicopter parts to get the correct positioning of screw holes and to save designing everything else that wasnt major for the helicopter, did you measure using a digital caliper? or from found sources of CAD files online.

I think im very precise because of my work background but even still inaccuracies with the vernier/calipers could amount to main shaft etc not aligning correctly. they are not the easiest thing to fit in to small spaces
Yes I measured every part seperately and in the assembly with a vernier caliper. then put in 3d to create the frame around it. My design is based on align/tarot parts and first prototype was pretty close. Had to only adjust the holes of the tail boom connection 0.1mm to get it perfect.

Just take your time and be as accurate as you can be. I used 0.5 mm machining tolerances for all the aluminum parts in general and 0.03 for bearing holes.

Good luck
Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

REALLY Nice work man,
That looks nice
R.C. man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look like a low weight heli on 480 size good job man. How was the crahses I wonder ? Doesn't look durable. Old style battery stick out like that easy damage during crash

Why design tail boom carbon fiber as like frame and tail boom carbonfiber canopy cover on top? That add weight.
Make it simple. Just use only tail boom canopy carbon fiber like un upside-down "U" shape or square shape halfway.

What you think?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like your design looks very cool

Sent from my Z4 using Tapatalk
jangee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in